Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Character

• *A:M User*

Here is the first shot of the new character I am working on. I borrowed NimmieAmmee eyes for the time being just to get placement. What I would like to do is build the character from concept, rig, texture and have you guys critique along the way. I will have updates this week. I hope you guys don't get bored with this caharacter.

Steve

face0.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I like him anyway...

But what you are properply missing is, that the head dont end where the hair starts.

It looks a bit like you rotoscoped him from a real-life-image, modelled the face and than just attached the head itself.

So, long talk, short answer:

I think the nose is too long, the forehead should be a bit longer but in any case at the top more narrow (-> there will be hair on a part of it) and the mouth and the eyes could be a little bit closer... (not much so...)

But as I said: If you want a nice semi-realistic-character to animate something with, I would leave him as he is... and maybe make his nose and the eyebrows(->skin of them) bigger. That will give him more character.

*Fuchur*

If you are going for roughly anatomically correct then I would suggest the following:

• The ears are too low, the tops of the ears should be roughly level with the tops of the eyes

• The nose needs more definition, it goes straight down

• The bottom lip looks a tad too flat and square looking, it need a little more work

Apart from that it is a great first effort, I think you should post a side shot too.

You're making good progress shelton, the only thing that bothers me is the eyelids. The shapes you have around the eyes themselves are not as "anatomically correct" as the rest of the face. Unless you are going for a more cartoony look I would suggest taking a look at some anatomical eye shapes. You could get them alot more real by just adding a few more spline rings to contour them more. This isn't the best example as it's somewhat asian in appearance but it might give you some idea of what i'm talking about. If it would help I can post a wireframe close up of these eyes.

keep it up!

-Ethan

post-341-1166765775_thumb.jpg

This is one of the most realistic models ever made well im not telling you to go this far but im not keeping you from going this far!

By the way never give up on a model it could be the best model ever made but what im saying is have fun dont be giving up cause you could not get something right just keep going!

Connor Case

allhe7.jpg

Ethan I know its what i do jk ;)

Hmm black something is wrong v 11.1 and 12.0v+ crapped out on me!

Im just going to pay $300 and get 2007 software no one really knows what the heck happened and i dont know how to fix it!

The upgrade is only $99...so, a lot less painful.

It looks like you could get rid of some of the forehead splines by ending them in hooks in the brow, get rid of some of the splines in the lower and upper lips, delete a couple of the splines in the upper eyelids and run the spline from the edge of the bottom of the nose to the outer spline that is presently encircling the mouth...to give you a natural crease when the mouth widens.

Nice work so far, Steve.

Thanks David. Here is an update. I will get rid of a number of splines on the forehead. Once again I am having problems around the eyes. Some say to add more splines to the eyelids to get a better flow. I have tried that. Here is the look around the eyelid.

Moved ears up and reworked. The chin has changed. Neck has changed, moved the mouth closer to the nose

Steve

faceof0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ah very good improvements to the spinework around the eyes! Looks fairly animatable to me...did you construct the mouth so that it can open to a cavity?

[edit] a note though I think I liked the somewhat more square jaw of the earlyer version, might just be personal taste but this one seems to be having nearly to gentle a jaw line for a male.

-Ethan

Well, this started out as a man, then I tought I could pull the chin in and work as a woman and then back to a man and then back to a woman. I think I will do as you suggested Ethan and pull the chin to square off more and fix the cheeks and then get on with the body.

I did set the mouth up to open. So I am ready to get back after it

Steve :rolleyes: