Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

to toon or not to toon

toon or shaded?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's she hiding behind her hands?

I voted for shaded. To me, it doesn't make sense to have a 3D application to simulate a 2D look. Just as it doesn't make sense to me to have an animation program to only model stills! But that's just me.

I would have to go with the 'can't decide' crowd.

I'd agree it depends upon the context of the shot/still. If you are going to be putting this in with other hand drawn stuff of the same style then the cartoon look may work (with some tweaking).

However, all the other shaded work you've ever done looks wonderful and I would hate to see some of that depth lost. If the whole scene is 3D keep it shaded.

so, shaded is the runaway favorite, but that just might be due to my crappy toon skils. ' ' )

the three color look is based on traditional anime cell shading: midtone, shadow and hilite.

i suspect that folks who don't like this particular type of toon look would prefer a smoother gradient with a little bit of ambiance, and to keep the toon lines?

thanks of course for the kind words. i try to branch out, but it seems i keep coming back to lovely women.

oh, and dhar? i can't understand how some folks can be happy with a non-interactive, pre-rendered animation with only one viewing angle, but we'll all have to hang in there 'till the webha:mr drops.

those who visited my site will see that i've stepped away from toon for a bit, and those that want to see a little bit more of bai yu can follow this link. warning: partial nudity and more tattoos.

thanks again to everyone who voted and/or spoke their mind!

-jon

...but i'll always welcome more! ' ' )

oh, and dhar? i can't understand how some folks can be happy with a non-interactive, pre-rendered animation with only one viewing angle, but we'll all have to hang in there 'till the webha:mr drops.

It's a great looking model Jon. I wish I have your talent :)

okay, so those are tats on her... well, you know... apparently the ink got on her teeth and some in her thumb/forefinger web... She's a bit eerie in some way.

Not that I don't like her... just a bit off kilter somehow... something about her says "don't trust me much"...

oakchas, she does consort with demons, truth be told...

and she has tattoos on her palms, but it's hard to see cuz they're occupied at the moment.

her teeth aren't tattooed, but something else in her mouth is... but my lips are sealed.

edit: duh... you can see her tongue in the link i provided, sorry!

-jon

realism just isn't my bag, man. ' ' )

i've switched back to shaded since i don't think ha:mr will be able to work in toon -- toon lines are a post-production pass, after all.

i might try to work on my toon mojo in the future, but who can say.

-jon