Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Flip OverTable!

Hey guys,

It's been like 6 months since I've posted anything content wise!

So I took sometime this afternoon to make a quick animation.

It's just for practice but it does need some finishing for sure....

But I won't be working on it anymore, as I'm one of those guys who can spend an eternity trying to

perfect things.... and those are the people who usually never finish anything!

Anyhows... check it out!

About 800kb, sorneson

http://www.vrcops.com/vids/OverTable4A.mov

btw.... is anyone else really not satisfied at all with the newest version of quicktime? at least on the pc....

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flip looks great to me. Nice job!

Just wondering since I've been trying to learn how to animate several ways... but did you use pose to pose, straight ahead, or some sort of hybrid method on that?

Again, excellent work,

--Ross

The flip looks great to me. Nice job!

Just wondering since I've been trying to learn how to animate several ways... but did you use pose to pose, straight ahead, or some sort of hybrid method on that?

Again, excellent work,

--Ross

Hey Ross,

Thanks! I'm not really sure what method I used......

But here's what I did

1. I had a running action, made a straight path, and constrained the model to it.

Then I dropped the running action on to the model. I used the ease on the path constraint to lock down the

running speed cycle.

2. at frame, 85 I think, I created a new choreography action. and I then animated the flip over the table.

3. set to render.

I only really became aware of the importance of "new choreography action" like in the middle of last summer. It's how you safely animate multiple activities in a cho.

Hey Dhar,

I'm enjoying a fresh hot cup of coffee from the same coffee mug right now!!!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Hey Mike,

Put in a couple more frames of anticipation when he plants his hands on the table. It's almost a cartwheel right now, but I think you want more of a spring-type action.

And of course that is one of the smoothest bending models I've seen in my life. ;)

Hey Mike,

Put in a couple more frames of anticipation when he plants his hands on the table. It's almost a cartwheel right now, but I think you want more of a spring-type action.

And of course that is one of the smoothest bending models I've seen in my life. ;)

Easier said then done Paul!!! I did have grande visions for this sample.... making the table bend when

the model was completely on it, really get the aniticpation and follow through.... but then

I just decided to move on with it......

But more anticipation certianly would help it.

Later,

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I'm one of those guys who can spend an eternity trying to

perfect things.... and those are the people who usually never finish anything!

Yeah, well... To heck with you! It looks goodenuf to me.... But if you would take just a little bit more time with each of your tests... the rest of us might catch up one day! Say, oh, about 22 minutes instead of just 20... at your rate of proliferation that would prolly be, like, 20 extra hours a quarter.. and then we could work 24 hours a day and be "in the running in" ... about 5 years...

Looks good Mike... his fingers go through the table a bit and they flex bakwards when he's airborne instead of as he pushes off. But I have to frame step it to see it... It really shows pretty darned well! I hope I can do as well someday.

Hi Mike! I really like the toon rendering you did on this one. It really fits the cartoon-ish character you got. I'm not going to be critical, seeing that you don't plan to make any changes. I think it is a cool animation with nice timing. I liked the landing most of all. Nice work.

Nice work. A few crits though: He seems to lose velocity just before he plants his hands, and then suddenly gains it again as he vaults over. Also, if his hands trailed behind his head for a little longer it would help.

Cheers,

matt

Cool, Mike!

I don't know if it's just the camera angle but it looks like he could express a little bit more of an effort when he flips off his hands. Something to show that his body carries weight. A slight bending of the arms and then a push over a couple of frames. Very nice though!

--------------------------------------

Edit: I think Matt nailed it! The velocity thing. ;-)

What is it that you don't like about the new QT?

I haven't got QT Pro but the new player adds some nice features. The only thing that I don't like is that if you save your animation from from the new player, to add looping, it will force your target audience to upgrade to QT7 or they won't be able to view it.

Anyway, are you going to put together a story for this guy?

Hi Mike! I really like the toon rendering you did on this one. It really fits the cartoon-ish character you got. I'm not going to be critical, seeing that you don't plan to make any changes. I think it is a cool animation with nice timing. I liked the landing most of all. Nice work.

Thanks Arkaos!

Nice work. A few crits though: He seems to lose velocity just before he plants his hands, and then suddenly gains it again as he vaults over. Also, if his hands trailed behind his head for a little longer it would help.

Cheers,

matt

Hey Matt, totally agree. The character doesn't express any real wieght during the motion.

All things that would improve this for sure.

Thanks for the notes!

Cool, Mike!

I don't know if it's just the camera angle but it looks like he could express a little bit more of an effort when he flips off his hands. Something to show that his body carries weight. A slight bending of the arms and then a push over a couple of frames. Very nice though!

Edit: I think Matt nailed it! The velocity thing. ;-)

What is it that you don't like about the new QT?

I haven't got QT Pro but the new player adds some nice features. The only thing that I don't like is that if you save your animation from from the new player, to add looping, it will force your target audience to upgrade to QT7 or they won't be able to view it.

Anyway, are you going to put together a story for this guy?

Hey Paul, thanks for taking a look!

Umm, is that true about saving the loop info, cause I saved this animtion with the loop enabled.

The thing I don't like about the new QT is

1. Playing in Presentation mode - the controls that pop up.... they aren't very responsive...

2. The software sort of is pushy about getting the upgade for older users/forcing the pro purchase.

But I didn't realize that older QT users have to upgrade before seeing the animation.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Well, that was a bit of an assumption on my part. I know that I was running into problems viewing QT files recently until I upgraded to QT7. I have just tested this out on my son's PC and a QT movie that has had the loop option set from the QT7 player worked just fine. He has QT 6.? but he also has itunes installed which might be the neccessary component.

Maybe someone who doesn't have QT7 or itunes will let us know if they are able to view your movie clip and then we'll know for sure.

Hey Zaryn,

thanks for the checking it out, appreciate the comments!

But I won't be doing any editing on it..... You guys might really think its crazy to just blindly leave

one piece and go to another, but I really have a "I could spend eternity" trying to fix things mentality.

Sort of a mental practice to just leave things as is.....

But that's not to say I won't add to it!

Just a quick camera cut

About 1.6megs, sorenson!

http://www.vrcops.com/vids/OverTable6.mov

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Way cool Mike. Those are some great shots.

Hey, about being sidetracked with details, my wife sends me e-mails while I'm at work that are thought provoking, metaphoric. And today she sent me one that I thought was an appropriate remedy for what you describe, it might help.

"The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Cups of Coffee

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things---God, your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained , your life would still be full.!

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car.

The sand is everything else---the small stuff. "If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you.

"Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities."

To apply that metaphor, don't worry so much about the sand, get your character to portray what you want it to portray, the rest is just sand & coffee

Mike,

Excellent animation. I would probably say a little anticipation too, but since you won't be updating it... :D

BTW... I still refer back to the tutorials I bought from you... thanks again for a wonderful product! :wub:

Hey Dahr, thanks for the words.

I'd say that describes my shortcoming fairly well! I sweat the little things, sometimes ignoring the

important things.....

VEry good food for thought!

TimeLord!!! - thanks for the comments. I know so much can be added, and adjusted.

Maybe I'd let it sit for a few days then take a look at it again.

And thanks for the words on the tutorial. I think it's a summation of my insanity:)

Thanks

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

No it's fine, I needed to update it anyways. There have been other movies that I haven't watched because of it, so it's about time I did it.

I liked it! Although I have to agree with the others about the anticipation and the fingers through the floor at the end. Nice job :)

Hey T, thanks for checking it out!

Yes, all things that I was aware of.....

Fingers and stuff through objects easy to fix....

I think adding anticipation and other elements would have to be left for a different animtaion!

thanks for checking out!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Okay, I addressed only minor issues in the previous that some people mentioned...

I didn't add any more anticipation before he gets to the table for 2 reasons...

1. I personally don't feel like there is an opportunity to put more anticipation there due to the

physical scenario..... foward running speed, height of table, manuever being performed

2. It really would have screwed up the ease timing and "hand off" poses from one action to the next:)

Which was more of a factor? I don't know you decide:)

But I did finish of the action, as he pops up and runs off screen.

I'll do a final render latr, but for now here is the activity cut up!

RealTime Render

about 1.1megs

http://www.vrcops.com/vids/ODTest1A.mov

Thanks for the comments,

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

hi Mike

Looks nice, but like others have said it would benifit with a stretch pose when first contacting the table and just before he hits the floor. Now it starts off in the cushion position. I gonna get me one of those coffe mugs

• Hash Fellow

To clearly analyze this we'd have to get a look from one stable camera position (from the side).

But he seems to be leaving the ground with bent legs, which is just about impossible if he's going to hurl his body into the air.

there also seems to be quite a bit of "redo" in his body movement at the first cut

Excellent mike... was he looking to see if anyone was watching? :D

Thanks TimeLord! I think it was just to give him something "to do" in the animation!

hi Mike

Looks nice, but like others have said it would benifit with a stretch pose when first contacting the table and just before he hits the floor. Now it starts off in the cushion position. I gonna get me one of those coffe mugs

Can't totally argue against that..... squash and stretch goes a long way.

But do you mean the model physically squashes and stretches, or just body extending and contracting?

What's the cushion position?

The coffee I drink from that coffee mug is always better, and I'm usually more productive too!!!

To clearly analyze this we'd have to get a look from one stable camera position (from the side).

But he seems to be leaving the ground with bent legs, which is just about impossible if he's going to hurl his body into the air.

there also seems to be quite a bit of "redo" in his body movement at the first cut

Don't be so sure Mr.Holeman! His push leg is the left leg which is a bit obscured in the clip. He has the energy needed to go to the table that is just barely above the height of his hips..... But you couldn't know that with out the side view, like you said. So, all the energy he needs is coming from his run.... imagine you are sprinting towards a desk that was hip/stomach high, would you need to jump up to make this manuever? Or just jump foward off the run.

Yes, the "redo", has overlapping frames, but I feel like it helps the mind piece together what its seeing in some instances. I had it cut at the exact frame and it looked too sharp while I was watching it.

Thanks for checking it out.

Latr

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Hash Fellow

His push leg is the left leg which is a bit obscured in the clip. He has the energy needed to go to the table that is just barely above the height of his hips.....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

nope, not convinced yet. ;)

show me some reference footage of you doing that.

In tights.

His push leg is the left leg which is a bit obscured in the clip. He has the energy needed to go to the table that is just barely above the height of his hips.....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

nope, not convinced yet. ;)

show me some reference footage of you doing that.

In tights.

Well, instead of typing all those m's why don't you try and see if the push leg lags behind/infront/or inline with the other leg in the current video?

But really, think about it, if you run at a table, whose top is at the height of your hips, do you have to jump up? I love when people offer crits as mandatory! So funny.

I'm going to have to agree about the overlapping frames between cuts. This duplication of action tends to visually sabotage the eye's perception of momentum. So I'd recommend fine-tuning the cut point until it matches.

Also, in general, you never want to cut from a fast-moving camera shot to a stationary one. It's jarring. Try either slowing camera 1 to a stop as you approach the cut, or adding movement to camera 2.

As far as that "stretch pose" suggestion, I think the idea was for the guy to jump with arms outstretched, so he can absorb more of his own inertia. Right now he leaps with his elbows almost completely bent.

I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed again today!!!!!

You guys are under the impression that I'm looking for crits.... would have put it in the WIPs then....

Anyhows, I do appreciate the comments, but the changes are in my eye are not substantial to make.

For example, you would STRETCH you arms out when you are trying to reach for something.

But you would PUT your hands with a slight bend in your arms if you are bracing for impact, as is the case

in the manuever before the flip.

It's the difference between paper law and trial law.

I've now defeated my original purpose, with everyones help ofcourse of making this a fast painless excercise!!!:)

Latr

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Hash Fellow

I love when people offer crits as mandatory! So funny.

Well, I wasn't going to say anything because i figured we can't expect perfection from 20 minutes anyway; but then you started working on it some more...

ok, no more comments from me. Sorry! :(