Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Pass The Ball

Here's a WIP of my contribution to the Pass the Ball project.

I was gonna try to keep it secret, but what the hell.

I know there's a lighting glitch when Shaggy hits the floor, and that his arm penetrates the ground. Other than that, comments and criticisms are quite & very welcome.

Sorenson 3, 212K.

ball_v1_sor3.mov

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant really tell whats going on. i mean it looks smooth and nice but did he really kick the ball? i watched it slow and it moved out of the way but then all the sudden the ball jumped up as if it had been kicked. I couldent tell if the ball moved out of the way or he slipped and it just got nicked.

but other than getting me confused it looked nice

Not bad, not bad. The background looks a little flat--kind of like he starts out standing on the horizon and then he moves forward. The ball bouncing is slightly confusing at first, but that's mainly just because it's exaggerated. Overall, pretty good! Keep up the good work.

• Hash Fellow

That's cute. I am most curious as to why there is a lightning flash when Shaggy's butt hits the ground. (edit: sorry, we were supposed to comment on "other than that")

That aside, I think we might connect the impact of Shaggy falling with the ball bouncing if there was some camera shake at that instant.

Some toe articulation would loosen up Shaggy's run cycle, when his heel is bending forward and also when his foot is being carried forward to the next step.

Also consider swinging Shaggy even farther out to the left so he isn't obscured by the ball so long.

Also consider swinging Shaggy even farther out to the left so he isn't obscured by the ball so long.

Well, I'm actually hoping our focus is more on the ball than on Shaggy. I'm going to make some lighting changes to fix that.

Here's a new version (toon-rendered for no good reason) which adds a slight cam-shake and reworks Shaggy's final look.

MPEG4, 372K.

ball_v2_mp4.mov

A funny one!

But there is the sound?

The player is he mute?

The grass is green - YES!

but the sky is not that blue...

The grass and the sky is not compitable...

I think doing the sky really blue to match the grass would be better!

:D

• Hash Fellow

Hi Zach,

ok, I'm a little suspicious of him stopping to kick the ball rather than doing it in stride. Shoulda mentioned that on the first pass. hmmm...

How about a little more hang time by Shaggy before he falls down? That might give his fall even more impact.

However... on the camera shake, I think it might be starting a frame late.

What might be interesting is to give the ball some inertia during the shake so that as the ground falls away the ball doesn't fall with it (his legs would stretch out beneath him) and when the ground comes back up it hits him in the "butt" to propel him into the air.

But it's a fun shot already!

Rob,

If he doesn't stop to kick or slowdown... he would fall forward. I think that would change his concept too much. Shaggy must fall on his A** to make it funniest.

I agree with the hang making it more emphisized, though.

I love this animation.

ok, I'm a little suspicious of him stopping to kick the ball rather than doing it in stride. Shoulda mentioned that on the first pass.

I actually couldn't figure out how to make him kick while running and still have it read. Maybe I was just a bad soccer player when I acted it out... I hadn't thought about Rich's point re: momentum, but I think he's right, too.

How about a little more hang time by Shaggy before he falls down? That might give his fall even more impact.

Unfortunately, I'm already a second and a half over Will Sutton's stated maximum. :D But you're probably right.

However... on the camera shake, I think it might be starting a frame late.

How can you tell? :lol: I moved it from my initial position. I'll try it where I started it first.

What might be interesting is to give the ball some inertia during the shake so that as the ground falls away the ball doesn't fall with it (his legs would stretch out beneath him) and when the ground comes back up it hits him in the "butt" to propel him into the air.

:huh::o:blink::wacko: Yes, that would be interesting, wouldn't it?

• Hash Fellow
ok, I'm a little suspicious of him stopping to kick the ball rather than doing it in stride. Shoulda mentioned that on the first pass.

I actually couldn't figure out how to make him kick while running and still have it read. Maybe I was just a bad soccer player when I acted it out... I hadn't thought about Rich's point re: momentum, but I think he's right, too.

yeah, I can buy it either way.

Unfortunately, I'm already a second and a half over Will Sutton's stated maximum. :D But you're probably right.

Just a few frames of hang would do it. You can gain the time back by not havng the ball lose forward motion when it hits the ground; keep it rolling right out of the scene.

How about some little cartoon shoes on the ball so we don't miss that he has legs?

Just a few frames of hang would do it.

That's what I tried. It'll be rendering overnight, but from what I can see it does look better.

How about some little cartoon shoes on the ball so we don't miss that he has legs?

Oooh! Good idea! I was worried about that.

I love it, Zach!

My only criticisms have already been voiced:

1) Strong shadows on bright grass don't fit with the overcast sky.

You could change the sky map, tone down the shadows or put in some visible flood lights.

2) The kick would look slightly better if it happened mid-pace.

3) For the sake of continuity with other people's shots I think that the ball could exit a little faster. I like it as it is though and as I haven't seen all the shots that have been submitted this is probably an invalid point.

It looks great as it is and, as my own submissions are far from perfection, I don't think I should really be saying anything other than 'Bravo'! :D

OK, last rev. before Mother's Day probably. This one isn't toon-rendered. Sorry, but I'm still pursuing the elusive goal of Good 3D Lighting.

Reworked the hang time slightly, re-lit it to make the soccer ball stand out more, added animation for Shaggy's left hand. And, um... trees.

C&C still welcome, of course. Thanks for all the input and kind woids. :)

MPEG4, 432K.

ball_v3_mp4.mov

Hi Zach!

I like your scene setup. Your lighting in that last render serves the story very well. Camera angle makes your clip interesting. I lke Shaggy with pants too. One thing in my opinion could be add is a little more "what happened?" in Shaggy's attitude before he looks in the direction of the ball. The jump of the ball seems just a little late. Very nice animation!

Michel

• Hash Fellow

I like the longer hang time much better. And the cartoon shoes. And the squetch on the ball. And cool lighting too!

However, I'd make the hang one ease-in to his peak and then the fall.

Right now he rises from 03:13-03:16

then falls from 03:16-03:19

then rises again from 03:19-03:21

then falls from 03:21-03:24

which makes for an odd hitch in his motion.

Some minor curve editing would get him to move in one arc.

When Shaggy is being flung off the ground, make his left toe lag behind his ankle in the upward motion (overlapping motion and all that). It could stay in contact with the ground for at least 1 more frame and maybe two.

I think the camera shake is happening a frame too soon now.

ROBERT, I JUST CAN'T PLEASE YOU, CAN I?! :lol:

(How long I've been wishing for detailed critiques... careful what one wishes for...)

Yeah, the curve in the hang time is on my list of things to do. The camera shake... sigh... I'll see what I can do.

I'm still debating whether the ball should go out quicker (for the shadow, as you said). But the fact is, I like watching the ball's feet flail in the air.

The lag on the left toe could be tough, but is a good idea. It's so hard to do that with the 2001 rig; I just made a Shaggy with the TSM1 rig for the Mother's Day thing, but I don't think I want to swap it into this one... :)

ROBERT, I JUST CAN'T PLEASE YOU, CAN I?!

He's a TD at heart! But I think he needs to hear a producer say,"We are going way past deadline with this thing! Do you know how much this is going to put me over budget!" :lol:

Great job, Zach!