Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Fat bunny model

Vash

Probably go half%#$ with this thing and won't finish it, but I'll give a start anyway. Well, my first model was extremely primitive, with no parts attatched and my own everything-is-in-a-hierarchy rig. But I'll give this a try and I want to know how I should sort these pics for rotoscopes:

gif.bmp

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've not done much rotoscoping or modelling that was successful. I think the idea is to have a side view and a front view at least, maybe a top view and a back or bottom view as well. If you have an isometric view then you're always kinda guessin about proportions.

Hopefully that helps a little and maybe someone else can add something.

Mostly I wanted to share some pictures of my bunnies too :-D

Butter(white bunny) is fat too, but he has slimmed down some since being put on a diet.

Mocha(brown bunny) has always had good appetite control.

The bunnies in the car aren't mine.

bunny pix

eric

yeah, bunnies always kinda frown....but sometimes its a happy frown :)

the only comment I'd have is that it looks like the back part is getting a little on the wide side...maybe...I dunno how big your bunny is, but there's alot of fluff on the head...if you've ever seen them wet, you know what size their head really is, which might only be important if you're going to add fur.

you kinda inspired me to "finish", although it's far from done, the model I started ages ago. It's drawn freehand from memory and there are alot of serious spline issues around the mouth/nose, but...well, it's something to look at anyways.

eric

post-7-1109049873.ibf

New update! I could've finished it sooner but I'm having a new problem with A:M-it randomly freezes at some point well I'm working. Oh yeah, back to the update, I attatched ears and I will soon model eyes and teeth but first I need to know HOW to make a good eye. But I have a good idea in mind:

post-7-1109133916.jpg

Hey!

If you get this done... it would be great to do a scene from watership down!

I keep thinking that is one book that could be re-done as a CG movie.

Looking good so far. Definately has the spirit of a rabbit in it.

Vernon "Spirit of a gerbil" Zehr

Watership down was awesome! I just want to read again and again and again... But of course the movie sucked and was no where near the book... Oh but anyway, new eyes have come I haven't added color yet but try to imagine them with color. And thank you for all the replies. Vern, when I can make a 2 HOUR movie (watership down) I'll let you know but for now I'm not finished with the bunny and maybe when I am I could make a little short film. But for now,

gif.bmp

I was actually thinking you could just do one tiny scene from the book.

I would love to "borrow" your rabbit when you get him done and give it a go... just for fun.

I wish someone who loves the book would do it as a movie... someone "like" Peter Jackson. Those movies wouldn't have been so successful without a huge devoted (and talented) fan like him.

Vernon "!" Zehr

I think your CP count is good actually. Very effective use of low patch count. The only place to watch out for is where there will be motion. But bassically a rabbit just sort of twitches his nose and nibbles.

If you plan to put fur on this guy... you can hide a lot of mesh "irregularities" with hair.

That is something to watch out for though. Consider a "bald" rabbit (I am sure some lab somewhere has one). When you add fur or hair... he will get "poofier". I made that mistake with my Happy Bear characters and had to put them on crash diets so the didn't look like big puff balls. Especially the legs arms and neck areas.

As for the teeth... can't tell where you are having a problem. I had to do the same thing with my characters in happy bear. I have HB with a set of "human" teeth. It was that free model someone posted a while back. An absolutely PERFECT set of realistic teeth, gums and tongue. Beautiful. I carefully scaled and tweaked until they fit his mouth.

You may want to check some skeletal head shots of rabbits to see how the teeth are actually positioned, and how many they have. For Gary the Gopher, I only created two teeth... right up front... that was all you would see anyway.

Oh wait! You have a rabbit! Can you get him to open his mouth for some photo reference?

Vernon "!" Zehr

Usually when I get her to open her mouth it's to bite. Sorry but with her bites the only reference I have is that picture of her jaw. Your right Reikster, those are too human. I modeled them using the Cooper tutorial (maybe that has something to do with it!). I'll dump them and start thinking and modeling bunny teeth.

Vash,

I don't know if bunny skeletons will bug you, but I dug these up with google:

http://www.fsinet.or.jp/~sokaisha/rabbit/teeth/teeth.htm

I think that's actually from Oolong's old site....not sure if you know about the "pancake bunny"...but that was Oolong...sadly passed away. I don't think that's him in the picture just a skeleton his owner found.

Actually made me learn something by doing so....I didn't think bunny's had any teeth but the front 4/6 (depending on if you count the little ones right behind the top teeth). Well, obviously from the pictures they have some molars in back, but I would definitely not spend time modelling those, nor the ones behind the top teeth. I went and picked up the bunny that was loose downstairs at the time and I couldn't open his mouth enough (without being mean) to see his back molar teeth. I just succeeded in making him upset :(

With my rabbits, I can lay them on their back and finesse their lips open enough to see their front teeth, but if If I gently push on the side of their mouth to get them to open their mouth, they will only do it a little before they get real cranky and squirm. The vet has some kind of metal loop that they can stick in and prop open their mouth, but that's probably expensive.

Your bunny model is coming along nicely :)

eric

The skeleton of the head makes it look like a feroucious predator!!!!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I always tell people that it's a good thing they're not all that smart, although a rabbit suppossedly "memorizes" its territory, but I'm getitng off track...

I always say that 1-2 dozen rabbits could take down a big cat.....if they were smart enough to work together and not attack it head on.

It's kinda like ants lifting, what is it? 6 times their body weight?

Rabbits can be very quick and very ferocious, although they do fatigue fairly quickly.

Their downfall is that they're afraid of almost everything except another rabbit.

Both of my rabbits are slightly bigger than a Shih Tzu, can run twice as fast and jump higher. Probably alot quicker and more agile.....but guess who's scared of whom?

eric

First I hear "cut down on your cps" but now I hear "add more cps" let me post a wireframe and THEN see what you think.

If you want to get rid of some of that creasing I would redo thge eye ring. Delete the original eye ring. Get rid of any connecting splines. Lathe a spline with the apprpriate amount of cps. Tweak it into place and attach that using new splines.

I can't do that I already have eyes in place eye sockets and eyelids and most likely that would take forever. Besides only experienced people like you can see those creases. When I started I forgot to extrude all the holes outward and this is my punishment. I'm way to lazy. Yes now. Seeing as those other teeth were worth less, I modeled a hopefully-okay pair. Let me know what you think of them.

post-7-1109388203.jpg

20_tim.jpg

Follow. But! Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived! Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

He's got huge, sharp-- eh-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!

Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

He's got huge, sharp-- eh-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!

Out of words to describe it? That's our bunny. Come near hear and she extends her mouth to rip bloody wounds all over your body--and before you know it your running for the nearest phone to call 911--but then she comes flying at you and suddenly.... I guess I got carried away. I made a new limb. Unfortunatly It didn't attatch perfectly so I need conformation on the body and the limb now.

post-7-1109442466.jpg

Hair - the hair material color will be determined by the surface (patches) to which it is applied - eg if you make the surface property of the patch red, the hair color will be red. If you want the hair color to be varied (not just along patch lines) then you can apply a decal (that you've "Painted") to the patches that you want to have hair and set the properties of the decal to drive the hair color - There is a better explanation of how decals drive hair color in the online html help.. I've just provided a very scant intro. BUT be forewarned hair is processor intensive - so you'll have to play with the density (and other properties) of the hair material if you want to be able to render in this lifetime. You're young, so that might not be as important to you as me.... :D

I'm well aware how deadly on your processor hair is. IF I wanted a baldish bunny well than, I could just instantly apply it. So your saying that if I make my bunny red, the fur turns up red? I want to ask Colin about his hair normal thing. He made some kind of monkey with his artbrush program but I have no idea how it works. Thanks for the help though Nancy. Maybe, since I started modeling early in my life, I could become a modeller greater from so many years of experience.

Vash,

I don't have alot to add that's why I wasn't commenting. My personal thought is that a rabbit may be one of the hardest animals to model realistically. This is not based on your model, it's based on what I know about rabbits. They have their skeleton and muscles, but then their skin and fur with the exception of the few small places it attaches like feet and face is just a bag.

It's hard to model the skeleton and bones without taking the skin off...and that would surely displease the rabbit most severely. Even if that was real accurate and mechanically correct, doing the fluid/cloth simulation of their baggy skin would be a horrendous difficulty.

Butter bunny had a touch of GI stasis a few years back and they gave him fluids to keep him from de-hydrating...the vet simply put them in under his skin.

It was real funny, but sad at the same time because he had this bag of fluid right on his chest under his skin. I was afraid he was going to trip on his own skin.

That being said, I think your rabbit models look good. You'll probably want to tweak them and improve them as time goes on and you get more advanced.

Once you get some motion on the model and compare it with the real thing, you'll probably come up with other ways to improve.

Hopefully someone else has something specific they can add :)

eric

I had a try in Photoshop to make a reference study. There is some differences! :blink:

I am not so fond of photorealism. I think you can do the eyes bigger. It is always good with big eyes. It makes the bunnies more attractive, like all models with big eyes!?.,

post-7-1109632513.jpg

This is a trick - turn the things - your pictures - models - upside down - and you can see reality better - you are not so deceived of your opinions about how things looks in reality. :lol:

This trick can be worth testing! :wacko:

Too me it looks like the bunny has a huge body then turned upside down, :angry:

post-7-1109632916.jpg

I tweaked after my last meet. I pulled down the hind legs a little. But not enough. I thought about what you said. I considered it and I will tweak the proportions. Here's a movie. It looks sloppy at the feet because I used and single frame pose and blend action set to blend to change the pose.

BunnyTest.MOV