Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

I was so inspired by Will Sutton's tree - that I had to give it a go.

I had a leftover tree from when I was playing around with Marcel Bricman's Treez plugin - added hairy foilage - (2 emitters, 2 diffuse color decals) - When I rendered - decided I didn't like the colors - went into photoshop - changed to Grayscale, added the mountain horizon in the background - tweaked the contrast -

Produced something very unusual for me - not cartoony - not really real - but pseudo-tromp-d'oeil...

Will also post the original rendering

Patterngroundphoto_copy.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

must be great to be able to model so nicely

Uhhhh, bluhhh...Model? Me?

Wait a minute youse guyzzz - this is all procedurally generated - the tree is from marcel's plug-in, the leaves from Hash hair, & the ground plane is 1 big FLAT patch with image added (repeated 10 x 10, seamless). And of course the sky is a rotoscope (actually 2, cloud form - superimposed on a squished gradient)

Now I will take credit for all the textures used...Details to follow.

I decaled the canopy surface with two different images, to use for coloring the leaves - the decals were both images from previous projects I did, -just liked the mix of colors in the images - and also added an image to all canopy patches that was just a blank (alpha all black) so that the canopy would be invisible, but that the hair (leaves) would take on the decal colors

here's the decal images on the canopy (1st is used for emitter 1, second is used for emitter 2)

treedecals.jpg

Like I said before - I used 2 emitters - I found that if I tried to use something that resembled a leaf - it looked too fakey (which I usually love - I love FAKEY) - this is the tree with two different emitters, each colored by a different decal - pretty - but not enough variation or noise.

twodifemitters.jpg

and just to be complete here is the noizy ground pattern that I created in painter to repeat on the big ground plane - pattern done in another project (originally for a stone wall type thingy)- applied 50% to a ground plane group which had dark green as the surface color.

again MORE NOISE

groundpattern.jpg

And to be complete - also added combo of two images (rt click - add image) to bark (non-canopy groups) - images combined 50-50 - also again from previous projects -

By the way - did I mention don't get too close to tree - thats when the fakey takes over . This is all meant to be viewed in a static image at the appropriate distance. Unless you're like me & love the inauthentic.

bark.jpg

• 4 months later...

Nancy--- WOW!

If you were to make several of these and go for authentic (yeah-yeah, I know!) you would have yourself a saleable commodity!

I know it's not intended for motion...but could'nt you give us an encore and do a small motion test???? PWEEEZE!

Thanks for the info on how you did it....DANG, now I have to try it!!!

BTW- I enjoyed your 'pass the ball' entries as well. Keep-up the good work!