Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Coffee?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I like, especially the contrast of his height to the door.

It's VERY plain to us that he is quite tall.

Your flow on movement seems right on as well.

Jolly Good show... looking forward to more comments from others.

:)

Mmmm....Coffee... heh heh... coffee

I love coffee.... I am drinking coffee right now..

Coffee's good... mmm.

I love the animation too! And not just becasue of the coffee reference. I had to click on this topic just because of the subject.

The bounce on the door as it slams is excellent. How do you get that kind of subtle motion? I always struggle with that kind of thing. It is worth the effort though.

What was the reference audio from?

Vernon "Caf-Fiend" Zehr

Nice work, noticed one thing though. The doornob goes clockwise before it opens. Then his hand goes in the same direction after opening but his hand is forward as if he turned it couter clockwise. Maybe make the doornob go counter clockwise before opening. Keep up the good work! :D

I love coffee.... I am drinking coffee right now..

I love the animation too! And not just becasue of the coffee reference. I had to click on this topic just because of the subject.

The bounce on the door as it slams is excellent. How do you get that kind of subtle motion? I always struggle with that kind of thing. It is worth the effort though.

What was the reference audio from?

Vern, when I picked the clip I new that someone here would have a special connection to it! It's from "Glengarry Glen Ross" - the exchange is between Ed Harris and Alan Arkin. The film is one of my favourites, but this clip is perhaps the only one I could have choosen where the language is suitable for a family audience! Well.. there is another, but I'll leave that for another time.

The door bounce is just something I've roughed in with the channel editor. Here is the y rotation channel for the door (the open close channel).

door-bounce-channel.gif

You can see that it starts to close on 285, closes on frame 298 and then again on 300 - this give it that bounce. The sound on the clip really helps too.

Maybe make the doornob go counter clockwise before opening.

Interesting. I'll try this on my next pass. I like the attention to detail

Your flow on movement seems right on as well.

Thanks Rodney - I've got some ideas to break it up abit.. I want to do some more snappy animation on this than on my last one. I think that his initial entrance nad "look round" could be simplified... at the moment it feels like he's going through too many 'moves'.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm gonna give it another pass this evening. The previous clip is still on go too.. but I wanted to take a bit of a time away from it before I did the final polish.

Now... where is that coffee?

Thanks for the comments. Nothing to really update with at the moment except to say that I've decided to revert in part to the movements from the first version - Looking to his left and around the door first seems more natural than the other way around. Oh, how I love the details....

I'll post some more when the lip sync has been added.

Thanks Shaun - the latest version of the other clip is Here (QT, Sorenson3, 2.3mb). I'm in the process of re-building some of the mouth shapes so I'm leaving the lip sync tweaking till that's done. Otherwise it's pretty much done - as an exercise in subtlety I think it was quite successful. I've got to the stage with it that I can't tell anymore though, which always happens!

Thanks Shaun - the latest version of the other clip is Here (QT, Sorenson3, 2.3mb). I'm in the process of re-building some of the mouth shapes so I'm leaving the lip sync tweaking till that's done. Otherwise it's pretty much done - as an exercise in subtlety I think it was quite successful. I've got to the stage with it that I can't tell anymore though, which always happens!

AHHH...wasn't expecting another clip already but I guess this one was a touch up of the one i haven't seen yet. Nice lip sync work and animation, looking really good. :D

Hi Parlo looking good, I agree with the change back to the first version of looking left and around the door. My only suggestion would be to get his head inside the door before the last line requesting coffee. The lines almost an aside so I'd be tempted to leave the body forward and angle the head into the room instead. Also if you let his right hand drop from the doorframe it would make it more like he was preparing to leave, then turned back, then left.

Of course that's all interpretation.

Hey, I like that new version of "No One".  How come that didn't make it into the "Space" contest? Can i do a write-in vote?

Thanks! I didn't initially realise that my clip fitted into the theme of the contest - and by the time I did, I thought that I'd solicited so much advice in the forum, and that I'd aired my socks in public so much that it would be unfair to those who hadn't. :blink:

Looking good, can't wait to see the lip sync.

I might post a version of "Coffee?" with the sync up by the end of the night. "No One" is still undergoing some minor tweaking. I've realised that a problem with my rig (it's quite an old one) is that it takes a lot of work to make the arms appear loose. I altered the rig for Coffee, and I'm considering going back and revisiting them in "No One" too. I've been working on a third new piece (the thematically suitable "Lunch?") which is much more frantic and snappy. The upshot of this is making "No One" seem very slow indeed - so I'm trying to add some more gear changes.

My only suggestion would be to get his head inside the door before the last line requesting coffee. The lines almost an aside so I'd be tempted to leave the body forward and angle the head into the room instead. Also if you let his right hand drop from the doorframe it would make it more like he was preparing to leave, then turned back, then left.

Ahh.. I've been trying to get him in, but now you mention it I've pushed it more so that he gets even further in. I'll try the hand drop too... I was wanting to keep both of it's hands out of play as it were, but I can see how this will help the shift at the end.

Thanks once again guys... This is proving to be a really productive exercise, and most importantly I'm enjoying the whole process more than I have in a long while!

Word :ph34r:

Thanks for the comments guys - I had a really productive conversation last night with a few of the regulars on the Wednesday night chat and got some in-depth crits. Ed Lynch provided some good pointers on the "Coffee" clip, and I've tried to address some of the issues he brought up. I've also picked up on John's comment about moving his right hand - you were right.... happy now? :rolleyes:

I feel that there's more of a story to it now....

QT - Sorenson3 - 1.1mb

• 2 weeks later...