Jump to content
Hash, Inc. Forums
fae_alba

3d printer

Recommended Posts

Santa got me a new monoprice 3d printer and I just started to have some fun with it. Decided to see how papa bear would fare inn the 3rd world so I tossed an older model over to the printer and came up with the same below....

 

0124182014.jpg

 

It certainly is not the greatest, and there is a lot that can be improved, but hey, it's still kind of fun to see him in a more solid form!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool start :).

You may want to have a look at my tutorials and printings, just in case you need some info somewhere:

https://www.patchwork3d.de/3d-print-177-en

Best regards

*Fuchur*

 

 

I actually did that early on, and they provided a good starting point. I'm (slowly) getting the hang of the workflow using A:M to create printable models. It has been a bit rough, with the biggest issue being that unit of measure being so different between A:M and the slicing software (I'm currently using cura since that is what the printer shipped with). I've gotten to the point of not worrying about the size of the model in A:M since the slicing software can scale up and down without too much of an issue. The other problem is the export to stl wizard, which isn't really a problem. I've learned that if I wanted to pose a character to print (see the latest below) I either need to do it in an action or a chor. If done in an action and I want to do more than one model in a pose (say Papa Bear holding a Christmas tree) I have to do them separately since the wizard will only do one. Also, if done in a chor, all models get exported, including the ground plane, which really mucks up the scale in the slicing software.

 

What I've been working on is an armature rig for an animatronic project I am working on. It is a ball and socket joint for an alien worm and required about a weeks worth of experimentation to get it right. But now it's done, and I'll be building it this weekend.

 

01311807471.jpg

 

I did Papa Bear last night just for hoots and hollars. I'm impressed with the level of quality that this printer can crank out. His toes, eyes, etc and clearly visible on the print.

 

01311807461.jpg

0131180746a1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3d coat has the ability to slice and create joints on characters. You should be able to import the stl or obj you made from AM and modify it so you can articulate the model. Not sure how handy that would be. Nice printing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting, I've spent a lot of painful hours sweating over the details of my Papa Bear model. But it wasn't until I 3D printed it and held that in my hot little hands did I notice that his wrists are way too skinny!

 

I have a lot of 3D printing projects I want to do, and I'm forcing myself to finish one before starting another...that's a tough battle. I just want to crank stuff out! But, discipline. I need to complete what i started, so the next step is to create an A:M model of an alien man-eating worm that will be 3D printed, then used to create a mold for ultimately will be the form for a silicone skin for the armature I printed earlier. We'll see how that goes, it will be my first foray into silicone molding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What I've been working on is an armature rig for an animatronic project I am working on. It is a ball and socket joint for an alien worm and required about a weeks worth of experimentation to get it right. But now it's done, and I'll be building it this weekend.

 

 

Creating joints like that is a most excellent use for 3D printers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

What I've been working on is an armature rig for an animatronic project I am working on. It is a ball and socket joint for an alien worm and required about a weeks worth of experimentation to get it right. But now it's done, and I'll be building it this weekend.

 

Creating joints like that is a most excellent use for 3D printers.

 

It has taken a lot of trial and error to get even close. The idea was to put a ball and socket part in series and use a strong looped thru each, attached to a servo to move it. In practice its not working out as well as hoped since when added to a silicone skin will put more stress on the servo than it can handle. I might look into a piston setup, which will require some more,modeling, but that's the fun of making.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...