Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

PNG transparency isn't working

Xtaz

Hi friends ...

I have a tree model ( attached ) it is a PROP/OBJ.

The PNG transparency works great in the shaded view... but not in rendered image.

both version v17/18

any tip ???

decal.jpg

Tree_am.zip

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While that is obviously not the desired result it does have its charm.

Did you use a scripting language to randomize the leaves placement or would you explain how you modeled the tree or point me to a tutorial?

Also, couldn't you have made leaves from the hair emitter?

Thanks,

KJB

• Admin

There are a couple of approaches...

Perhaps the easiest would be to change the Type from Color to Cookie Cut *in the Chor*.

Note that the setting will be there to change in the Chor but not under the Prop properties themselves.

It's strange also that keycolor is not an option under the image itself but I assume that is because the png has an alpha transparency.

At any rate, try that in a Chor.

• Admin

Okay... what I suggested before works but... it is also cutting through the background/ground plane.

More investigation required.

Come to think of it though... if controllable, this might yield a very cool feature. ;)

• Admin

Here's the problem from a different angle (as mentioned above).

Here I've set two of the three tree leaves images to Cookie Cut but note that the renderer has the transparency cut through the branches (obj file itself).

The one in the middle I left alone.

(In case it's not obvious, all three trees are Action Objects rendered from an Action Window)

Added: The problem with changing to TGA, etc. is that unless you can do that in the originating application Prop textures and such are hardcoded into the Prop as far as A:M is concerned so unless I am mistaken, changing the image format isn't an option.

The second image provides a better view of the cookie cutter issue (we need to leverage that to cut things out of scenes!):

CookieCut0.png

PropTrees0.png

• Hash Fellow

I guess this has something to do with it being a prop import. I'm surprised it works at all!

Any reason to not just make a tree like that with Treez? And re-use the bitmap for a hair map?

• Hash Fellow

Same result in v16

...Perhaps the easiest would be to change the Type from Color to Cookie Cut *in the Chor*.

Note that the setting will be there to change in the Chor but not under the Prop properties themselves...

This is interesting! For me it works properly in progressive render on-screen but not in a regular render.

I would say to write this up as a bug report for Steffen. If if can work in pregressive mode it can probably work in the others.