sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Man of Steel is pretty great!

largento

I will say, that I do think it could have been better and I'm not a fan of the dreary gray look when you're doing something like Superman, but the film throws a whole bunch at you.

The Krypton stuff is surprisingly interesting. There's a novel approach to its technology that keeps it from being hackneyed.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that there's a tremendous amount of disaster in the movie. I always thought that was something Superman: The Movie tapped into, as well, but with the state of FX being what it is, it's multiplied by several thousand times. By comparison, the damage to NYC in the Avengers looks light.

My female companion couldn't get over how good-looking this Henry Cavill is, saying at one point that she "didn't know a man could look that handsome." :-) I was surprised that I liked Amy Adams as Lois Lane, since she doesn't fit the part in my mind. She managed to come off as being appropriately tenacious and ...like all good Loises... incapable of staying out of harm's way. It was a home run casting Kevin Costner as Pa Kent. You couldn't find an actor who can sell earnest the way he can.

The screening was in IMAX, but not in 3D. I might opt for seeing it in 3D when I go again, though, just to see if that adds to it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm gonna admit, Man of Steel has been my personal number 1 most anticipated film of the year and I am incredibly jealous that you somehow got to see it a week and a half early.... usually I'm the one who gets to see these things early!

Mind you because of its run time, I'll now have to work until 1am when it's released here. :/

I'm gonna admit, Man of Steel has been my personal number 1 most anticipated film of the year and I am incredibly jealous that you somehow got to see it a week and a half early.... usually I'm the one who gets to see these things early!

Mind you because of its run time, I'll now have to work until 1am when it's released here. :/

Got lucky this time. I am going to Mississipi tomorrow for two weeks and was hating that I might have to see it at one the crummy local theaters there.

I've seen Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness this summer and this one easily tops both films. I do wish it would have been more upbeat, but I recognize folks like making these things super serious these days.

Arrived at 3:30 for a 7:30 screening and they used up all the extra seats about five people in front of me. Had to wait to get open press reserved seats, but made it in. Would have really sucked to have waited four hours and not get in.

@Darkwing That is true, just think that works better for a dark hero like Batman and less well for a bright hero like Superman.

@Paul Not knowing why you're not a Superman fan, I can't tell you if this does the thing you don't like, but I think it does many things right.

Krypton is more fully developed (and as such, more interesting) and like Nolan did before in the Dark Knight movies, an attempt is made to plausibly explain some of the tropes that go with the character that are harder to justify in reality. Without giving away things, let's just say that we aren't asked to believe that if you throw a green crystal into the snow, it will magically build an enormous building with working hologram technology.

I can't say I'm a fan of Zack Snyder, and I think *most* comic book movies get a pass from reviewers, who hold them to a much lower standard than other genres. I thought Iron Man 3 was entirely too NOISY, and I haven't been to, what, the last three Batman movies.

I suppose I'll see this at some point, but it's not a must-see for me.

-signed,

Bindair Dundat

Movie Critic

I can't say I'm a fan of Zack Snyder, and I think *most* comic book movies get a pass from reviewers, who hold them to a much lower standard than other genres. I thought Iron Man 3 was entirely too NOISY, and I haven't been to, what, the last three Batman movies.

I suppose I'll see this at some point, but it's not a must-see for me.

-signed,

Bindair Dundat

Movie Critic

Gasp! The Dark Knight Trilogy is one of my all time favourite trilogies ever! You've gotta see it at least once!

Well I've got a real problem with the logic of superhero costumes in live action movies. I mean, I can plainly see that Batman can't turn his head from side to side in that heavy molded plastic *thing* he wears. What kind of action hero would wear that, I find myself constantly wondering when I should be watching the story.

They address that in The Dark Knight! Christopher Nolan went super realistic/serious for the dark knight trilogy. I have the book that's on the making of the trilogy, it's really fascinating stuff because for everything he was always questioning "what purpose does this have?"

They did fix that in The Dark Knight and in Man of Steel it's clearly explained that the suit Superman is wearing is the standard suit worn under the armor of Kryptonians. Nolan has done a fantastic job of coming up with plausible reasons for including some of these things.

Of course, it is all escapism and if you can't suspend your disbelief no amount of rationale will appease you.

And so will Batman's if you watch Chris Nolan's Batman movies! Seriously though, I would argue that The Dark Knight trilogy is unlike other superhero movies. It's very grounded in the real world. Not to mention, Nolan is an avid real world effects person, so most of the effects are done for real and not using computers!

• Hash Fellow

Well, some searching on the web reveals claims that "Romeo and Juliet" has been made over a thousand times.

Romeo and Baskervilles aren't originally movies, but then neither are these comic book franchises.

It's a bit gray.

I don't think you can count the Batman films as remakes. All of them tell different stories about the character. It would be like saying that Santa Claus: the Movie was a remake of Miracle on 34th Street. Both have Santa Claus in it, but one has nothing else to do with the other.

In my thinking a true remake is remaking something that only existed as a film.

There have been at least five movie adaptions of The Great Gatsby. I don't think you can say that the current one is a remake of the 1974 one.

I'd say a movie like King Kong that was remade in 1976 and 2005 would be a good example.

But Charlie and the Chocolate Factory isn't a remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It's another adaptation of the Roald Dahl novel.

Now, if we just went by character, I'd think Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan would top the list of characters that have been adapted to film, TV, etc.

[EDIT] According to the Wikipedia, the Guinness Book of World Records lists Sherlock Holmes as the "most portrayed movie character" with more than 70 actors playing the part in over 200 films.

Well I've got a real problem with the logic of superhero costumes in live action movies. I mean, I can plainly see that Batman can't turn his head from side to side in that heavy molded plastic *thing* he wears. What kind of action hero would wear that, I find myself constantly wondering when I should be watching the story.

Remember The Incredibles ... "No more capes! They're so last year darling"

Just saw it. It's pretty good but not quite what I was hoping for. I think a lot of that is because they made one or two really amazing trailers which had this air of mystery, lore and intrigue about it, however the movie doesn't really present it like that. I dunno. I'll see it a second time to solidify my opinion of it.

I wondered about that. I stopped watching the trailers/commercials before I saw it last week, since I didn't want to spoil anything. I didn't even watch the making-of videos they started putting up. I talked with a friend on Friday and he asked me this really out of left field question about the film that he said he thought was happening because of the latest commercial. I assured him that they hadn't strayed that far away from the mythos.

It's all subjective, but I stand by my "pretty great" call and am anxious to see it again.

I'm really anxious to finally get to discuss it with my friends after they've seen it, so I can talk about the "big thing" that bothered me and kept me from calling this "great."

I'm intrigued now. Because I feel sorta the same way. I really liked it, it was a really great movie, but didn't quite hit that home run for some reason. Maybe though it will on a second viewing, I'm not sure. I think the narrative structure took me a little by surprise.

According to Rotten Tomatoes, critics liked Superman Returns more than Man of Steel (by nearly 15% actually!). That said, This is the End is scoring mid eighties and Man of Steel high fifties?! This is why you never pay attention to critics, son.

I really liked it! I liked how they dealt with his childhood/ origins as just a couple of flash backs and really, really liked how they gave a reason for him to trust and care about Lois lane--that was just really well written!

I did not see it yet (I think it starts this week on thursday in our cinema), but I like Kevin Costner (like the preview where he plays his dad) and I liked all of the new Batman-Movies and the critics gave it a quite good grade (imdb of 8.3 / 10 (in general I even like movies which are at 6.7 and above))... long story short: I am sold... the next time I go to the cinema, I'll go to see this...

See you

*Fuchur*