Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

New Years Resolution - Abs...

Hey guys, been a long time since I've posted anything.... still working on that audi model.... Or I should say still not working on it!!! lol.

But had an itching to mess around with some displacement maps.

Simple torso model with a displacement map and then used again as a diffuse map.

6minAbs.mov

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow
Question: What is the render hit vs. a simple bump map?

the big hit is that you have to use multi-pass to use displacement maps

In a test case (where the object covers about 50% of the image) a bump-mapped model takes 44 secs to render in 16 passes while a Displacement-mapped model takes 64 seconds which is not much more.

But the bump mapped model can render with the same anti-aliasing quality in a non-multipass render in 7 seconds.

If you drop the Displacement render down to 2 passes it will come in about the same as the regular render bump map case.

Thank you for that rapid response. If rendering finals for production, I would probably use it then as the hit is only about 30%. That would of course depend upon the scene, amount in frame, etc.

Typically, you would not have a huge amount in frame unless you were flying in for a closeup of a bee sting or some such. :D

Question: What is the render hit vs. a simple bump map?

yeah... what robcat said...

this vid didnt use multipass. I think if its a bit away from the camera one could get away without it.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

this vid didnt use multipass. I think if its a bit away from the camera one could get away without it.

If i use displacement in a regular render I dont' get shading. How did you get that?

Im still using v14c....

• Hash Fellow

If i use displacement in a regular render I dont' get shading. How did you get that?

Im still using v14c....

Hmmm... i never had 14 so i can't try that. But if it works in v14 we ought to be able to have it now.

Im still using v14c....

Hmmm... i never had 14 so i can't try that. But if it works in v14 we ought to be able to have it now.

that's part of why I have been resisting upgrading.... v14c is a very solid version and does everything I need for now.

• Hash Fellow

Holy S###

I have an old v14 beta that I can run with my v13 disk and yes, displacement mapping does work in regular render.

Why didn't someone say this earlier! :rolleyes:

I think Martin told me once that it had to be done with multi-pass.

Holy S###

I have an old v14 beta that I can run with my v13 disk and yes, displacement mapping does work in regular render.

Why didn't someone say this earlier! :rolleyes:

I think Martin told me once that it had to be done with multi-pass.

I think I was annoying Martin at one point so... I just sort of stopped saying things....

• Hash Fellow
btw, why can't I log into the reports site? Aslo, why is everything "centered" layout wise on this site?

You will want to ask for an AMReports login from jason @ hash, it's not automatically teh same as your forum password

although if you don't have v17 you wont' have much to report. :unsure:

"centered", I don't know.

Cool tests!

I'll note that you can make the shadow on the ground work right if you set the Ground to "Cast Shadows" ON

That is a great tip.... I just figured it was some sort of limitation with using zbuffered shadows that wasnt ever going to be fixed!! thanks.

This is a really cool tests Mike. Just a little detail, the abdomen muscles are convex, not concave, as they appear in your test. Can you show us the displacement map ?

hey guys, thanks for the comments.

Xtaz, the convex you mention is the actual model itself, not from the map. I built is sloppy and fast. I'll see about getting the map up for people to look at.

Gerry, I know I have not been around for awhile... but you know I expressions and driving decal strength!!! lol.

• Hash Fellow
Cool tests!

I'll note that you can make the shadow on the ground work right if you set the Ground to "Cast Shadows" ON

That is a great tip.... I just figured it was some sort of limitation with using zbuffered shadows that wasnt ever going to be fixed!! thanks.

In v17 the ground has this default set properly along with some other things...

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...ground++default

Here is the map I used. It took me all of 2 minutes to make it, which shocked me... lol.

rippedSmall.JPG

the muscles are too flat because the white surface... I drawed a gradient color in the displacement map and the result seems better.

mark_abs_.jpg

abs_mark.jpg

Cool Xtaz! Results are def. better as the gradient or softer transitions between the light and dark translate to the surface elevations. If I can get motivated enough to do more on this I will certainly make better maps.

I loaded your edited map and it looks very cool! will post a moooovie.

A trick to try if you want a better resolution and smoother displacement(looking at Xtaz's close-up image) would be to open the art in Photoshop and enlarge the image size about 4X and then run a guassion blur on it to smooth the pixillation and resave...

A trick to try if you want a better resolution and smoother displacement(looking at Xtaz's close-up image) would be to open the art in Photoshop and enlarge the image size about 4X and then run a guassion blur on it to smooth the pixillation and resave...

thanks John, will give it go.

also... if you are getting stair stepping from the 8-bit maps, OpenEXR maps work too.

Harder to find a paint program for them however.

Krita can handle OpenEXR images in either the Mac or Linux versions (the Windows version doesn't presently). For someone on Windows, you could install a version of Linux on a thumb drive and run it from there.

also... if you are getting stair stepping from the 8-bit maps, OpenEXR maps work too.

Krita can handle OpenEXR images in either the Mac or Linux versions (the Windows version doesn't presently). For someone on Windows, you could install a version of Linux on a thumb drive and run it from there.

Indeed there is a windows version (alpha, but working really fine here W7-64bit) that can be found in Caligra Suite

Indeed there is a windows version (alpha, but working really fine here W7-64bit) that can be found in Caligra Suite

The last time I checked, the Windows version did not include the ability to work with OpenEXR images...Mac and Linux versions could though. I don't know if that has changed.

I haven't checked the Windows version of Krita yet, but I did an experiment with installing Linux Mint on a 16GB thumb drive. I installed and ran Krita as well as Kdenlive and Cinelerra...all worked fine. I would recommend using a USB3 drive though.

I'll have to do a lot of playing with the programs, but it was a very promising test. The combination allowed me to create and edit OpenEXR images and edit HD video...would definitely help with my project. I made a quick OpenEXR image, saved it to a Windows format thumb drive (I could have saved it to the main drive, but I was being careful the first time), booted Windows and used it as a decal in A:M. So, I should be able to go from one OS to the other pretty easily.