Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Great SSS image?

• Hash Fellow

Does anyone have or can anyone suggest a great example of A:M Subsurface Scattering.

Something that, as soon as you see it, clearly demonstrates SSS (and looks great).

I want to stick it in a tutorial video on "Rendering"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have or can anyone suggest a great example of A:M Subsurface Scattering.

Something that, as soon as you see it, clearly demonstrates SSS (and looks great).

I want to stick it in a tutorial video on "Rendering"

My all time favourite is: Alien.

It was done by Zaryin (Jeff Bolle).

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

This one kind of goes against the primary purpose of demoing SSS but it does illustrate that there is more than one way to achieve an effect in A:M.

Remember this result after Elm (from Soulcage Dept) posted about 'faking SSS' in a render? (You rendered it)

post-544-1339778781.jpg

Here's the link to that discussion.

Matt Bradbury posted his analysis of SSS.

Here's the whole topic (with useful information): LINK

Wow! That's a great thread. Explains SSS like nowhere else, & probably should be included in some documentation, if that effort is still alive, and if still true for recent versions. I don't remember ever seeing it. Even with that info, still seems like SSS requires much experimentation, tweaking based on model geometry, chor lighting, and model's size.

• Hash Fellow
Matt Bradbury posted his analysis of SSS.

Here's the whole topic (with useful information): LINK

Wow! That's a great thread. Explains SSS like nowhere else, & probably should be included in some documentation, if that effort is still alive, and if still true for recent versions. I don't remember ever seeing it. Even with that info, still seems like SSS requires much experimentation, tweaking based on model geometry, chor lighting, and model's size.

That is a great thread. Too bad those Bradbury boys went off to college...

• Hash Fellow
i have done pretty decent results with SSS. what exactly were you trying to show? maybe i can render an example for you.

Something that is an obvious example of SSS and looks good for it. I realize that's vague.

I like Jeff Bolle's Alien but it also has many texturing details that are not specifically SSS so it's hard to hold it up for 3 seconds and say "that's SSS" without further explanation.

That's the problem.

i have done pretty decent results with SSS. what exactly were you trying to show? maybe i can render an example for you.

Something that is an obvious example of SSS and looks good for it. I realize that's vague.

I like Jeff Bolle's Alien but it also has many texturing details that are not specifically SSS so it's hard to hold it up for 3 seconds and say "that's SSS" without further explanation.

That's the problem.

What about the fish?

It is a good example how SSS can create a wet-look / nicer look from a model.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

RE:

post-6746-1357164956_thumb.jpg

This image would work pretty well as an intermediately difficult example of SSS excepting there are three areas that seem to be lacking:

- The evidence of bones underneath skin (this can be seen primarily in the jaw and forearm areas)

- The hand (while perhaps in the right position) doesn't look correctly positioned

- The spine/back appears to be deformed

Adding bones would probably push this well into the 'too complicated' arena.

All for what it is worth here...

• Admin
i was going more for the wax look.

and i was going for a happy middle since rob doesnt know what he want yet, but i think this comes close.

Knowzing Robert'z exzacting standardz mez knowz itz gotz tooz beez perfectz. ;)

• Admin

The late great Paul Forwood was doing some pretty magical stuff with SSS, FakeAO and such.

I sure wish he was still here to answer our questions.

post-183-1292438161.jpg

Here's an example of Paul's experiment with FakeAO, SSS, 3 Point Lighting and Raytraced Shadows:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?act=a...st&id=53708

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure what I really want, it may not be do-able.

Mark's ear suggestion is a promising one. Is there a head with good ear on it that would lend itself to SSS?

Robert, there's a couple of nice looking ears in this thread. This post by Bill Gaylord has a good one.

• 1 month later...