sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Wreck it Ralph

Shelton

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

I snuck away for an early viewing today and enjoyed the movie a lot. I was a bit skeptical that it might not meet my expectations and I'm happy to report I enjoyed it. There were two thoughts I had leaving the theater that hit a creative nerve.

How the heck does someone compete with Disney when they can produce a movie as complex and multilayered as this one...

and

I really want to create animated movies too.

I assume that any movie that hits both of those nerves simultaneously (for me at least) must be pretty good.

(I think this is especially interesting in light of the fact that I'm not particularly a fan of any of the actors involved in the movie and had some reservations going into it from the beginning.)

• *A:M User*

I went and saw this movie and thought it was really well done, also. I think it helped that John Lasseter was as an executive producer. I can only hope that we will see more of Pixar rubbing off on Disney. I especially liked the short before the beginning, that is another Pixar thing that I didn't expect to see at a Disney movie.

While I can't say I'm a huge fan of John C. Reilly, he did pretty well in this movie. He was also in 9, I think. Sarah Silverman was a good casting choice for Vanellope. I recognized the female marine as being the boss of the Circuit City type store in 40 Year Old Virgin (can't think of her name right now, but she has been in other comedies). I can't say that I know the actor behind Fix-it Felix, but I thought the character was amusing.

I really got a kick out of all the video game references, without it feeling like they were trying to do a movie about video game references. I liked that it was more a story about Ralph's personal growth and desire to fit in and be appreciated for what he does. I saw it in 3d, but don't really think that it benefitted that much from the 3d, to be honest. I think you could enjoy it just fine and save some money going to see the 2d version. Sadly, they seem to have more showtimes for the 3d versions of the movie and nearly every big movie coming out these days seems to also have a 3d version, where they have like 6 or 8 showtimes for that and 3 or 4 for the 2d. So if you want to save some pennies you better plan ahead :)

• Admin

My oldest daughter refuses to forgive me for going to see the movie without her. (I went to the early show while my kids were in school)

I told her I'd make it up to her and take her to see it in 3D but she says, "No, I'm going to see it with my friends."

It's tough being a cartoon fan.

I just got back from seeing it and really enjoyed it.

It had a surprising amount of heart and an old softie like me was heartbroken at the thought of this poor little girl making her own car, hoping to enter a race she wasn't allowed to. They turned the "cuteness" factor up to 11 for this one.

This could easily have been a simple A-to-B, character learns lesson movie, but they actually allowed it to be clever and I thought the voice casting was excellent.

The Paperman short was also excellent. I didn't get to see it in 3D this time and I'm thinking not seeing this short in 3D might be the thing to be disappointed by my choice. Still, it was filled with charm and I loved the wordless storytelling.

• Admin
It had a surprising amount of heart and an old softie like me was heartbroken at the thought of this poor little girl making her own car, hoping to enter a race she wasn't allowed to. They turned the "cuteness" factor up to 11 for this one.

There were a lot of little moments and carefully woven details in this film that will make watching it again and again a real treat.

I thought adding the 'glitch' element was rather inspired and they managed to craft that into the story in a multitude of different ways.

Glitch means this... but also means that... and it does this... but it doesn't do that... and here's a cool factor about it you hadn't full considered... and oh by the way, there's a real a danger you should associate with it because it's sure to lead to the death of the character.

Although many of these things were projective in nature... we could almost see them as plot elements coming back again later in the film... we were never quite sure how those plot elements were going to play out... and I was pleasantly surprised with how they did.

Some very creative folks added their two cents into this film.

I'd really love to reverse engineer the movie to study the placement and timing of the various plot element reveals.

the thought of this poor little girl making her own car, hoping to enter a race she wasn't allowed to.

Jeez, that's the plot of a children's book I wrote a couple years ago except it's a boy. It's in verse, which I've been told makes it unsellable, so I never did anything with it. But still!

• Admin

Something I noted in Wreck it Ralph was that the characters seemed to have considerably more fluid animation than I recall many other CG features. This is interesting because some animation was very stylized. I recall thinking the animation was incredibly fluid throughout the movie and much of that may be attributable to the contrasting of the 8bit stylistic movement that was intentionally created to simulate older video game animation with that of fully articulated character animation.

I haven't been able to find much information on the tech used for rigging but from what little I have seen it reminds me of A:M's own approach to bone rigging with it's ease of use, hierarchical layering and animation blending capability.

This is the only documentation I've seen to date on Disney's latest rigging technology they've termed 'dRig':

http://disney-animation.s3.amazonaws.com/l...RigTalk_v05.pdf

87E6N7ToCxs