sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exhaustion

Ilidrake

Most of us who do this do it as a hobby. At least I do and this is only an assumption. I would suppose that most have normal jobs that require a great deal of our attention and energy. Which begs the question how much energy is left for your hobby?

I'm in a supervisor position with 5 other individuals that I am responsible for. I work on a drilling rig 28 days at a time, 12 hours a day, with 12 hours off to rest and relax. it's a dirty, noisy place, slap in the middle of the gulf of mexico with water as far as the eye can see and then some more past that. And it is exhausting. I just got off of work and my eyelids are trying to close as I type this. And as all of you regulars know I'm working on a new project which I am excited about. I try to do a little something each day, even if it is only a small prop. This helps me feel like I am moving forward.

But on days like today I just don't have the energy to do anything. And this annoys me. I know it's alright but a little voice in my head screams that if I don't do anything today then I won't do anything tomorrow and so forth and so on.

Do you guys have any thoughts or ideas on how to deal with this? Is it alright to allow a few days to just slide by without doing anything? Or does this put the project in the perils of the rest of my work. Unfinished!!!

These of course are just the random ramblings of a tired mind and I'm just curious.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

First the good news... You work on an oil rig? You're making more money than just about anyone with the title "animator" does. And apparently doing it while working shorter hours!

Yeah, not working on your project will slow it down.

Me, I have a hard time getting started on things. Then there's a certain critical point where it finally starts to look like something and I can't put it down. But it's hard getting to that point, and I have many potential projects that never got to that point.

For me it's difficult to do just a few minutes a day on something. I need to devote a huge block to it or I never get into real progress-making.

Time away from the computer is pre-production time. Gather ideas, flesh them out, doodle or draw poses, enhance the script, record dialog, take pictures of things for reference, etc. There are many things that you can do as pre-production for a project that doesn't tie you to being at the computer all the time.

I usually leave a project for a couple of days, think about the overall project or specific things in the project. Is my character right? What if the character were a bigger or meaner character than a small, meek character? What does he sound like? What does he look like? What does a factory at night look like? What if instead of having the character walk into a store, he runs into a gas station? Lots to think about and do before the actual animating.

Then, when I do start animating, all the pre-production has been done, so I can concentrate (and usually) and spend less time time to complete a project.

But to the extreme, you can do what this guy did: http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/eye-candy-the-chase/

:)

ernesttx makes a good point. Even though you may not be actively on the computer working on a project doesn't mean that time is wasted. I've found that with me day job (software engineer) if I have an issue/bug that is simply driving me nuts, walking away allows my mind to work the issue from different angles, oft times solving the problem. For my A:M projects, I spend a lot of time off the computer working the story in me head (those voices in there sometimes have good ideas!).

Now as far as falling asleep with the laptop in my lap and A:M running, patiently waiting for me to do something, well that is an almost daily occurrence for me. I've found that the more you beat yourself up over something, the more you may shy away from working on it. Relax, get some rest, then get back to it. Since this is a "hobby", it's supposed to be fun, right?

I think all these advices are sound. The fact you are worried about taking a couple days off from AM already shows your commitment to it. And as others said ---you have good work and this is a hobby. Supposed to be fun --so do not get to worked up over it. All of us who work long days and try to get some time in at AM each day sympathize and feel the same struggles.

• *A:M User*

This is really wierd, as I was just talking with a buddy of mine how I had a couple days in a row where I had gotten stuff done, but the last two days not so much. I think it helps to set a goal of an hour or twoa day rather than trying to do a marathon. I heard of a method called "don't break the chain"

where you do a bit each day and then cross it off on a calendar. Seeing a big string of unbroken days keps you motivated, so you are more likely to keep working. I know I get more motivated when I see new views on my WIP thread.

That's a really cool gig you have there! My family has regular reunions along the 'Guff'... and we look out at those derricks and wonder what it must be like. The BP disaster of a few years back was well cleaned-up, I think... we saw the beaches at Fort Morgan (Gulf Shores/Mobile) last year and were quite impressed with the water and beach quality... here's a little known fact (aka secret) most Americans don't know... Alabama has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Your job is a real important one to us gas-guzzlers, I hope you are really-really well paid, because we sure are 'shell'-ing out at the pumps nowadays! Stories I have heard from the North Dakota oil boom had me thinking of taking a handful of young 20 year old non-college bound 'what am I going to do with my life' kids I know and going out there and teaching them (and myself) about hard work- and great pay! It is getting harder and harder to find a steady stream of revenue in the independent animation business... I am even considering starting a new truck-driving career.

ANYWAYS, time away from a project gives you a renewed approach as well as what I call 'fresh eyes'... you can get too close to your day-to-day work... you really need to find a balance in life between the things that you need to do, the things you like to do, and just plain recreation.