sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

3D printing for $ 1299

serg2

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool... not very smooth, but the future is sure getting her in a hurry! I see they show a woman's shoe in the examples... I foresee a day when you go into a shoe store, have your feet scanned, pick a color and style of shoes, and wait a short while- while they 3Dprint them...

Honestly, it looks like a commercial product variation of the RepRap open source project.

For $1299, I can build two or more RepRap machines.

It looks more like the Up!-3d-printer.

And yes you can make that but you would still have to built it by yourself with all the platines, etc built together.

The MakerBot or RepRap are both sould that way.

The Up! is much more expensive than the Cubify and I am playing with the thought to buy a Cubify... I would have bought an UP! for the initial price they had, but now it is too expensive if you ask me.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Now there's a job for the freelancer or virtual studio*:

http://cubify.com/learn/faq.aspx#CubifyArtist

It seems that in the short term there may be some call for artistans to create these products but the trend is toward everyone making their own. The niche market is where you are able to sit down with a client and based on a sketch of an idea they have bring that product to reality.

I like where this is going.

*Note: I say this largely because in looking at the site they appear to be in serious need of good quality models/modelers. ;)

its an interesting endeveaur, but...

the quality seems to be very poor and not being able to compete with professional services like shapeways for instance.

Guess I will still wait till something from the big printer players pops up,

like hp, canon, epson or xerox...

its an interesting endeveaur, but...

the quality seems to be very poor and not being able to compete with professional services like shapeways for instance.

Guess I will still wait till something from the big printer players pops up,

like hp, canon, epson or xerox...

Oh there already is... from 5000 Dollars and up...

These 3d printers are made to be finally prepared with sand paper...

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

Getting it into the hands of consumers is the important step.

It's not unlike calcuators way back in the day. They were too pricey for what they could do for most people so most preferred to wait.

Nowadays, many calculators are free (some even given away) and we hardly spend a moment of our time thinking about what it was like without them.

But it takes some time for the tech to reach critical mass and become ubiquitous.

Adopting a technology early in the cycle is arguably a way to encourage faster advancement of the technology so that better products are released sooner rather than later. I won't say I'll be buying one of these but if the right circumstances align for it to make sense to me... I'm there.

Quality on the RepRap devices can vary widely as well. Some enthusiasts have shown consistency of material placement of 0.5 mm width wall building.

There is always the layer roughness with these devices. Only commercially available 3D printers in the 10k+ range will not have it.

Having the ability to put a 3D idea in the palm of your hand like printing a picture from your PC is a direction we are going VERY fast.

The latest RepRap iteration, Prusa Mendel, can be put together at it's cheapest for under $400. At it's most expensive just under $1000.

EDIT: As to the quality, 0.01 mm layer height has been achieved. Article Link. It is mentioned about needing to fine tune the machine's alignment and settings to get it to work.

Maker Bot is 1099 if you assemble it yourself. They have a new .4mm nozzle too so the surface is better. Still not fine enough for tiny details.

There is limitations with ABS and Fusion Deposit systems so it's unlikely to get much finer than what is out there now.

I recently got a model back from Shapeways who uses laser sintering and the details were ok, not fantastic but should be usable. Surface has noticeable lines. So far I think the polyjets have a better resolution but materials are limited. Most shops that offer polyjet output have minimum charges of $90-$150 so try to gang up the models.

Anyone that has a desktop cnc milling machine such as the Sherline or Taig could hook up a Makerbot nozzle unit to it. The head is sold separate for under $300.

• 3 months later...
  • Hash Fellow

Anyone know what the lifespan of one of these inexpensive devices is?

It goes thru a lot of work just to make one model and it's got to survive lots of models to be economical.

Life span should be pretty good. Stepper motors usually last a very long time and there aren't a whole ton of resistance for them. I would think since ABS is pretty abrasive that you may need to replace a nozzle ever so often.

I emailed Solidoodle people to see if I can get a sample. Curious how fine the .1mm step looks from and FDS. Still might be too course for filigree patterns.

In any case for $500 it seems like it could be fun.