Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Another Head

With everybody making head models, I felt the urge to play with making one today, going for more realistic than I normally do. I borrowed the ear from my v3 Krok model. Not liking the mouth right now, but still, fun to mess with...

I should point out that I model the whole head rather than doing that face mask thing.

Screen_shot_2011_08_15_at_8.48.05_PM.png

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, guys.

I saw the density of the splines running through the mouth. It only seems half as dense when you're working on the one side. :-) I'll pull out some of the splines when I focus on the lips. Definitely wouldn't want to take that many splines into the mouth.

Different. So what, do you do it like a poly modeler, model the larger shape and then start pushing and pulling it to get to your face?

Nope, nothing like that, Darkwing. I draw the entire profile of the head from the bottom of the front of the neck to the bottom of the back of the neck. Then I draw half of the front of the head. I then start stitching like I'm creating half of a wire basket, putting in the features like the eyes. It's like working out a puzzle. At a certain point, I copy/paste/flip the one side and work in mirror mode, so I can see how it looks as a whole. Once I have all the parts filled in, I attach the two parts and then continue to tweak in mirror mode until I say, "that'll do." :-)

I always say that modeling in A:M is more like drawing for me. Poly modeling is more like sculpting and that's completely alien to me. To me, trying to make a head to attach the mask to seems awkward.

I don't know how far I'm going to go with this, it was just an exercise to try doing something more realistic. I'll most likely end up donating it since the thought of doing a project with even semi-realistic models instantly stresses me out. :-)

I agree that you should get rid of some of those vertical splines. Other than that, I like your unique splinage. Espesially the forehead area. I like it.

The splinage comes out different every time I model, Zaryin. :-)