sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Jerky ride

I did a quick test animation for a car ride.

Its just one keyframe at frame 100 and the wheelrotateexpression on.

Somehow the ride of the car is all jerky.

What may possibly cause this?

I have 5% motionblurr and tried 12 ,30 even 60 frame Quicktimesetting, no difference.

Where have I to look. Codec is Animation, but its the same, when I render out png frames....

BannerCapCarB.mov

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably not really helping here, but I'm not seeing the "jerkyness". It does seem REALLY blurred though. I can't even make out details of the car and its not moving fast enough for that.

Correction

I looked at it again controlling the slider myself, is the blurriness the jerking you speak of. The car looks quite clear per frame.

Heres the same without, jerking also.

Can it have something to do with the aspect? This is set to 1.067

I don't see any difference - and I don't see any jerkiness. I am using a crt, not lcd. Perhaps the compressed animation plays smoother on your system because your system can handle it better? EG, your refresh/redraw rate of your display/graphics card is slow?

The other thing I notice is that your fps =25 (European convention, I assume). If you using any of the expressions you've been talking with David about, I wonder if any of them use "24" or a multiple of "24" as part of their assumptions? Wouldn't seem likely, but had to ask.

You mean, this is just a thing of LCD monitors?

I am on twomonitor dektopmode, but on a quiet new cmputer, that should have enough graphicspower.

I made an animatedgif (which is the finalgoal for my website) out of the png sequence that makes the jerking even more clear....

at least on my computers...

CapCarTest.gif

• Hash Fellow

Both B and C look about the same on my computer.

B seems to have a bit more occasional "tearing" where the top and the bottom dont' line up.

i thought that might be because of the mismatch between 25fps and my 60 fps monitor, but C doesn't seem to have the tearing as much as B played on the same monitor. I have both an LCD and a CRT

I don't think PCs wait for a screen redraw to start before it displays a new frame of video so that may account for the tearing in images that is visible in horizontally moving objects. The mismatch between 25fps and 60 fps would probably create quite a few split frames.

However if I step thru either one frame by frame, the car appears to move the same amount in each frame so at least it's not A:M that is the problem.

The gif runs rather slowly on my computer so the stepping from frame to frame is very obvious in that one.

I made an animatedgif (which is the finalgoal for my website) out of the png sequence that makes the jerking even more clear....

at least on my computers...

I see a more stepped animation. but I think that is a result of it being a gif, and how gif's play back. BUT it looks cute! and the way I would expect for a stylized old car.

I can't compare with lcd display, because I don't have any.

• Admin

My gut feel is that the slow movement of the vehicle is causing the problem. (not enough images for that slow of a movement)

In the gif image I find having the animation on 2s makes it run smoother.

perhaps running it on 4s might work even better?

Your gif plays very smooth and fast by itself so I assume that whatever timing was set into it has something to do with the jerking.

Here's a ease in/out for comparison:

Whoops, my gif animator is automatically re-timing this thing. Trying again:

CapCarTest_easeinout.gif

Thank you guys for all your thoughts,

AM is set to 30 frames and quicktime also. No more motionblurr in the last one.

I am beginning to suspect its something about the animation within AM that is wrong.

But I am off for easterholidays right now.

When I come in freshly, maybe I find a systematic way to check this out....

Happy Easter everybody!

I changed the setup in the QuicktimeRenderseting to 30 and had the global seting to 30 also.

Obviously that had no effect on the final mov file that run with 25.

Maybe this is some bug?

This has no visible difference for the animation though. Have a look at the two movs one with 30, one with 25 sec?

I have enclosed a testproject also for your examination (just changed the Capcar to the farmerstractor)

Maybe that can help to detect the problem? (Also the single frames)

BannerCapCarE25.mov

BannerCapCarD30.mov

CapCarBanner.zip

CapCarTest260411.zip

I haven't looked at your project. But I looked at both your movies.

Both QT movies are reported as having a frame rate of 25 (window/show movie info).

The movie labeled "30" appears smoother to me. I assume this was generated with A:M project rate =30.

How are you making the QT movie? 1) Are you loading into QT PRO a png image sequence, setting a frame rate, compressing there with h264? or 2) Are you creating the movie from A:M ONLY?

I would suggest doing the first option. IF you create your frames at 30 fps it will look smoother than 25 fps.

Hi Nancy,

I created the mov from within AM since I don`t have Quicktimepro on this computer.

But anyways I set it beforehand within AM , the final mov always is set to 25.

Still I am thinking there might be something wrong beforehand, since I never noted this shuddering that much before.

Heres the example from the projectfile.

BannerCapCaF25.mov

I changed the setup in the QuicktimeRenderseting to 30 and had the global seting to 30 also.

Obviously that had no effect on the final mov file that run with 25.

This has no visible difference for the animation though. Have a look at the two movs one with 30, one with 25 sec?

I saw a difference in the resultant movies. The one called "BannerCapCarD30" appeared smoother to me. (as I said in my previous post).

However this QT movie had a frame rate of 25 fps (QT movie info).

I am guessing that your project rate was 30, but when you compressed with A:M and used the h264 codec, that the frame rate was set to 25 in the QT dialog box?

>I am guessing that your project rate was 30, but when you compressed with A:M and used the h264 codec, that the frame rate was set to 25 in the QT dialog box?

I just tried in ver 16 (32 bit) - my Project frame rate = 24. I rendered to QT with h264 codec, and tried to change it to 30 in the QT dialog. The movie was created at 24. So yes, it didn't stick, it appears to use the project frame rate.

• Hash Fellow

There's nothing wrong with the render. We can show that by tracking the model on every frame and seeing that it is moving the same amount forward on every frame.

BannerCapCaF25_traced.mov

So if it still appears jerky, it must be a playback problem. Either Quicktime is not playing the frames back smoothly, or the display is not showing Quicktime properly.

However, it looks fine on my computer. It's no smoother or jerkier than any other similar animation running at 24 or 25 fps.

Thank you Robcat, this info is quite reassuring.

Maybe its that unusual wide format, that is causing that problem....

(I will try different formats later.)

what about that halfpicture-interlacing-tv-stuff?

I cant find any setings for this anymore.

Isn`t that a problem anymore nowadays?

And Nancy, it seems any quicktimemovie gets saved with 25 no matter what you set beforehand....

what about that halfpicture-interlacing-tv-stuff?

I cant find any setings for this anymore.

"Interlaced" is no longer common, but it would never be a problem with your animation at all.

All animation-output is progressive at first and be transformed to be Interlaced afterwards, but since you are not

using such a setting, you shouldnt get that.

It was necessary to get all the informations (image and audio) transfered with relatively small bandwidthes which have been a problem in the early days of TV.

Today the available bandwidth is higher, the codecs used to transfer the data is better and there is not a high delay in creating the image on the screen as

there has been on old TVs (LCD / TFT vs. CRT).

Some cameras may even today with HD-resolutions give you an interlaced output but that doesnt effect you in you animation as long as you doesn't use film-material in your animation.

See you

*Fuchur*

And Nancy, it seems any quicktimemovie gets saved with 25 no matter what you set beforehand....

On my system, it gets saved with whatever the project rate is set to. I set my project rate to 24, so the QT gets saved to 24. If I make the project rate 30, it gets saved to 30. (32bit ver 16 rc01, QT 7.1.6)