sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How to make a layer twinkle?

jason1025

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

One way would be to replicate the standard film technique for twinking stars.

Twinkling lights are often created by placing a mask on top of the field of lights and moving that mask across the field. This will result in sequence of stationary lights that appear to twinkle.

Once the field of twinkling lights is created you could enhance the effect even more by adjusting the ambiance intensity and/or color of the Layer (under the Surface properties)

Yes, a 'morey' is needed. A morey (don't know if I am spelling it right) is an illusion created when 2 patterns move upon each other. I see a morey everytime I drive under a pedestrian overpass, and the 2 chainlink fence patterns that line the overpass create a moving illusion...I am easily entertained. anyways-

Basically, in your case, you would need to make a piece of art that could just be a 'scribble' in Photoshop... literally a scribble(with alpha). Bring it into A:M as a layer and place it in front of the lights and give it a little clockwise rotation... now bring another instance/layer in to the same place and rotate this one counter-clockwise. The negative effect they will have on your lights should give the lights a nice 'city at night' twinkle effect. All this assuming you are working in a black scene. Adjust scribble line thickness and rotation speeds to taste. Results may vary. Subject to sales tax.

That is an old film trick.

The accent aigu is known as an acute accent to us English speakers. We tend to make up our own words for anything we can't pronounce ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent

Makes sense

Isn't it called aigu?

Mais oui, mon cher, mais je ne sais pas comment on épele "aiguë"

only don't know the word epele, not bad for not having spoken french in 2 or 3 years :)

only don't know the word epele, not bad for not having spoken french in 2 or 3 years :)

Très bon, bien sur! Je pense que épeler est "to spell" en Anglais.

I haven't spoken French in 30-100 years? Took it in high school, college. I too am amazed at how much I do remember. And most amazingly, how much "google translate" remembers for me.

I used to be good at french, but on summer break one year, I quite literally like forgot all my conjugations and then I just happened to take french immersion for two years after that, but never went back over what I had forgotten, so it was a bit difficult for me until I finally dropped out of french in Grade 12. I also dropped out of music, but unlike the french, I was very disappointed by that :(