Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Anime Eyes

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if I use spheres for the eyeballs, then parent them to an "eyes" bone, and scale up the parent bone, the eyes should hold their shape when looking up or down... There was a cartoon eyes tutorial around here somewhere that discussed it.

Here's more progress:

post-2085-1290320356_thumb.jpg

Now it's a head!

post-2085-1290360561_thumb.jpg

I'm going to do the ears as separate pieces, so they can be swapped out for elf ears or catgirl ears. They just need to stick out of the hair, anyway. So, hopefully ears and hair tonight.

Btw, I can't remember the deal with anime eyebrows. I know there was a way to get them to render through anything in front of them, i.e. hair, but I don't remember what it involved...

• Hash Fellow
Btw, I can't remember the deal with anime eyebrows. I know there was a way to get them to render through anything in front of them, i.e. hair, but I don't remember what it involved...

There's an "Anime eyebrows" material on the CD or in your Data folder under "Geometry" materials.

Is this a project your working on or could it show up one day in the "Resources (Contributors Cue)" when it is done?

It looking pretty good. :)

Thanks! once the head is done (w/hair) I can put that up on the cue. It's not for a specific project, but when she's done she'll be built like this:

post-2085-1290361214_thumb.jpg

Although the outfil will be different. I'm probably going to set her up so that I can use the "dressMe" plugin (I think that's what it was called) to make swappable outfits for her, too.

If you have the time to also make the male head. I do have the bodies of both male and female already made. I did these a wail ago but the heads did not turn out the way I would have like..

Female.jpgMale.jpg

Unless you alredy have a body made.

Here are the notes on the eyebrows. pg. 50 in the techman

Anime Eyebrows

An arcane feature of "anime" characters is that their eyebrows are always

drawn on top of their bangs. To achieve this effect, you must apply some

special materials. This requires that you first make the eyebrows as nonrendering

splines, group them, name the group, then turn the "Render As

Lines" option "ON" in the group's properties. (Also set the group's Color,

Line Thickness and Randomness in the Surface properties). Drag and drop

the "anime eyebrows" material onto the eyebrow group. Next, group the

bangs (or whatever part of the hair is to be obscured by the eyebrows),

name them, then drop the "obscured by eyebrows" material onto this group.

(These special materials are located in the "Materials" folder on the

Animation:Master CD).

I think if I use spheres for the eyeballs, then parent them to an "eyes" bone, and scale up the parent bone, the eyes should hold their shape when looking up or down... There was a cartoon eyes tutorial around here somewhere that discussed it.

Here's more progress:

chibiheadB0_copy.jpg

Could you give the link to that please?

I would like to read about that.

*Fuchur*

Fuchur: Here it is:

http://www.hash.com/amtutes/Bootcamp/EyeTut.html

DJBREIT: She's gonna be a "chibi" style character, like the little munchkin sprites from the old NES Final Fantasy games, so she's gonna be shorter & stockier than your average anime character. That's also why she's got the cutesy face. But once I get the head completed, it shouldn't take me too long to morph it into a more average anime head, just some distortion box & magnet mode work...

I have been considering for a while now creating average male & female anime figures that could take advantage of the DressMe plug-in. They would be stock figures similar in function & features to the characters in Poser. Character packs with new clothing & props could be made for them, etc. The only two things holding me back are: I'm not sure I have the time, & I'm not sure there's too much interest for that. Although if I have the time, I'll probably do it anyway, just to have...

For whether or not there is interest in an anime characters. They are probably the third most used type of characters out there. The second being realistic and the first being stick figures.

The rest usually requires a custom design that a standard model won't do.

As long as there is a set of them I sure they will get some use. :)

P.S. Where is this DressMe plug-in?

DressMe is here:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...&hl=dressme

Some slight progress:

post-2085-1290479280_thumb.jpg

I couldn't get the anime eyebrows material to work. I even put the occluded by eyebrows material on the bangs. Does it only work with a toon render?

as a workaround, I made the eyebrows a little thicker, and made the bangs 15% transparent.

I couldn't get the anime eyebrows material to work. I even put the occluded by eyebrows material on the bangs. Does it only work with a toon render?

I could not get it to work ether. 15.d was the farthest I could go back and test. :(

Can some one check and see if they can get this to work in an older version of A:M. This may need a report. But I would like to see if we missed something or the instruction where incorrect first.

• Hash Fellow

Have you done this?

An arcane feature of "anime" characters is that their eyebrows are always drawn on top of their bangs. To achieve this effect, you must apply some special materials. This requires that you first make the eyebrows as non-rendering splines, group them, name the group, then turn the "Render As Lines" option "ON" in the group's properties. (Also set the group's Color, Line Thickness and Randomness in the Surface properties). Drag and drop the "anime eyebrows" material onto the eyebrow group. Next, group the bangs (or whatever part of the hair is to be obscured by the eyebrows), name them, then drop the "obscured by eyebrows" material onto this group. (These special materials are located in the "Materials" folder on the Animation:Master CD).

Have you done this?

An arcane feature of "anime" characters is that their eyebrows are always drawn on top of their bangs. To achieve this effect, you must apply some special materials. This requires that you first make the eyebrows as non-rendering splines, group them, name the group, then turn the "Render As Lines" option "ON" in the group's properties. (Also set the group's Color, Line Thickness and Randomness in the Surface properties). Drag and drop the "anime eyebrows" material onto the eyebrow group. Next, group the bangs (or whatever part of the hair is to be obscured by the eyebrows), name them, then drop the "obscured by eyebrows" material onto this group. (These special materials are located in the "Materials" folder on the Animation:Master CD).

Yup, that's exactly what I did... Should it be reported?

I'm going to continue with the workaround, I'm thinking of using a gradient for the transparency on the bangs, might even give them pointy bits on the ends.

• Hash Fellow
Yup, that's exactly what I did... Should it be reported?

Yeah, include a test case he can load.

I'm going to continue with the workaround, I'm thinking of using a gradient for the transparency on the bangs, might even give them pointy bits on the ends.

How about just putting them in front of the hair?

• Hash Fellow
How about just putting them in front of the hair?

I had thought about that... but I think from certain angles they would look funny.

They're gonna look funny in front of hair too.

you could put them on the end of a bone and constrain them to alwayspoint to the cam.

Nice looking chara

but

me seems the tophalf of the head is much too small. I think it would look even cuter, if you

would make it the same size as the lower half (I think most japanese charas even have a way bigger tophead due to the hair)

But that`just my personal taste.

Holy BoBos Batman! Does she suffocate her victims? ...not that they would resist much.

Lol! They're actually a lot smaller than some of the references I have! Once she's done, I'll make the size adjustable with a pose slider. Just wanted to make sure the mesh could stand to be that big...