Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

2006 Chevy Tahoe

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hay every body I've been busy we got a slight family feud going down here right now I'm selling tickets if my mom gets into a fight....LOL never live close to relative....

Any way I was working on the Chevy Tahoe type model It got to many wrinkles in it for some reason I even tryed shift A then hit the O key it helps a little but not much. It looks like its been beat up in a by a baseball bat in the parking lot...LOL I may leave it like that it's going to be a police truck....LOL

2006_Chevy_Tahoe_4_model.jpg 2006_Chevy_Tahoe_5_model.jpg

Hay every body I've been busy we got a slight family feud going down here right now I'm selling tickets if my mom gets into a fight....LOL never live close to relative....

Any way I was working on the Chevy Tahoe type model It got to many wrinkles in it for some reason I even tryed shift A then hit the O key it helps a little but not much. It looks like its been beat up in a by a baseball bat in the parking lot...LOL I may leave it like that it's going to be a police truck....LOL

2006_Chevy_Tahoe_4_model.jpg 2006_Chevy_Tahoe_5_model.jpg

First, there are a ton of dead-end splines in there. Here is an image that shows the ones I can see.

Second, there are a lot of unnecessary splines.

Third, I think you would get better results modeling things as separate pieces.

Some tutorials that might help would be:

Rodger Reynolds Non-character Modeling in A:M tutorials.

Yves Poissant's Understanding A:M CP bias Gamma property.

Hope that helps.

--------------------------------

EDIT

--------------------------------

I should have also mentioned these tutorials:

Mark Largent's Wannabee Way tutorials

Jeff Cantin's Basic Splinemanship tutorials

2006_Chevy_Tahoe_5_model_dead_end_splines.png

I looked at a few images of the 2006 Chevy Tahoe...like most vehicles, there are clearly defined individual pieces that you could model separately. The doors, fenders, headlights, grill, tail lights, door handles, bumpers, windshield and windows (along with the wheels, of course) could all be modeled separately and then put together (either as a single model or using an Action in a Choreography depending on how detailed you want to go). Just my two cents.

Am having problems with the Chevy Tahoe I wasn't paying attention late last night and hit the reset button saying somethiing about the groups, I'm glad I listen to itjustme and saved everything as a single model now I don't have to redraw much Items.

• Hash Fellow
Once you separate the model into the doors, fender, tailgate and etc can you say on door or side panel hit ctrl a and the extrude button to make it look like thick metal or can you make a material to make look like thick metal ?

You could select the splines that make the edge of a shape and Extrude them out but that won't look good. It's bad splining and...

In real life metal panels are either rolled over at the edge or there is some moulding covering the edge. Do the same with your model.

Except for a car with rusted out holes i can't think of anyplace where a bare metal edge would be visible.

That eliminates the problem of trying to model a very very thin edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Was all most done tonight with the Chevy Tahoe and I for got to save the model at a cretin point where I won't have to go back and do everything again don't you just hate it when it crashes at a point in the model and your Ohhhhh no do over.

Will be done with the model tomorrow :D

• Hash Fellow

groups have priority depending depending on what order they are in the list. I think lower is higher. try moving the window group below the body group which is probably overriding the window attributes.

(that's still a lot of splines there. Did you really need them all?)

That worked thank you robcat

The way I model it like box then extruded it once I got that done I cut the model in half and worked from there I even tried separating every thing still came with a bunch of splines guess I have to get use in drawing 3d instead of 2d on the roto scope drawings.

LOOKS like you have it already built in the model. You CAN use actions to assemble models... simply make a new action(using the base of your model...like for instance the FRAME.) and start dragging and dropping the models you want in there... if they are not pre-registered you will need to size them and place them right where they need to be. Then, in a chor- bring in the base model (ie FRAME) and then simply drag the action you made onto it and VIOLA! your model is built from the action!

Your model is definitly way too much splineheavy!

That`s were all the bumps and creases derive from.

I would suggest for an exercise to start anew just on the right half of the body

with as few splines possible and add more splines later on, when you find you need them.

Then at the end copy/flipp/attach to make a whole body.

how do you registered a piece of the model so you won't have to re size the model in the action ?

One way to pre-register before using as an action object: You can create a temporary model with the part of the base model (eg frame) that you want to align your auxillary model (eg head light, or door, or ?). Align, scale the groups for the aux part, then delete the frame part, save out as the new headlight model (with headlight groups only).

Although there's nothing inherently wrong with assembling a vehicle using action objects, I have found it to be more convenient to build it all as one model. I've only used action objects to build models that are so complex that they are impractically unwieldy in the model window. So I had to sub-divide the object into modelable components that are re-assembled in an action.

I'm curious as to what advantage you see in using this technique on a relatively simple model. If you build the Chevy as individual components in a single .mdl file you can later control the actions of each component after you assign bones.

It's about done I have to work on the tires, rims, head light's, tail light's,tweak it a little bit and make a police decal cause the one I got off the net it didn't work right on the model I'll be done.

2006_Chevy_Tahoe_10_model.jpg

Thank yall for all the help you been giving me on this I relay do appreciate it I've learned some new tricks with the groups, and remove decal from control point and few other.

Happy about your progress.

One thing that helps me a lot is

to keep my pws organized:

So name your groups for instance your blue ones: windows,

then after cfp (copyflipattach) you will get a group

named window2, so by rightclicking on your modelsname

>Plugin > wizards > merge and purge groups you get one group for

the windows again, saves a lot of stupid work ( that`s what the computers are for , right?)

The same goes for >merge and purge decals.

Organized groups make your model much better to handle lateron.