sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Building Your First Rig: Part 2

A:M Films

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys :)

The audio starts to drift quite a bit after around the 30 minute mark, and I was hoping it was still intelligible after that point.

So I did this to test out Hypercam2, which is now free, and doesn't embed a "Made with Hypercam" image in the video. (Hypercam 3 still costs money)

I captured one clip at 10fps and another at 5fps. The audio syncs better at 10fps and I did not see much, if any, increase in file size.

For presentations under 30minutes in length, I think Hypercam 2 is a great choice.

I also tested various video codecs, since Hypercam compresses the video in real time. (Although you can't recompress the audio in Hypercam, you can set mono/stereo, KHz and bit rate. I used mono, 16KHz, 92Kb/sec)

By far, the best video quality/compression ratio came from x264, which is ever so slightly different from Apple's h264.

http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

This codec gave MUCH smaller file sizes than Apple's h264 or Xvid or anything else I tried, while maintaining excellent quality. It has a dazzling array of configuration options, but I just left them all at the defaults except I set Multithreading to the number of cores in my cpu.

Hypercam recognized the codec without a problem.

In order to get Quicktime to play the movies however, I had to open them in SUPER and export to mov format, which took about 5min for a 95MB video.

This was a very nice tutorial. Thank you very much for making it.

Edit: By the way, the audio becomes out of sync with the video. It's really quite a shame because it is a great tutorial with important information. However the lag between the audio and video gets so confusing.

Holmes: Is there a simple way to fix it? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I might try to futz with it one day, but at the moment, I'm sorry to say it isn't a priority.

Thanks for the reply Holmes. I understand. I hope that the things that are keeping you busy are Animation Master related! I look forward to seeing more of your work and any other tutorials you may make in the future.

Hmmm. I just wondered. What if one just time stretched the audio in Premiere or After Effects to help make it match? If you want me to do it for you, I could give it a shot if you are too busy and want to send me the movie file.

Thanks again for the great tutorial on rigging.

Cheers.