sprockets Hans Donuts Featured USS Midnight spotlight Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Flame

So something I'm trying to do is make flames, something like this:

flames.jpg

I figured particles wouldn't give me the random shapes I want, so I'm trying fluid. Now fluid might work if I could add turbulence or something to it, because currently, the particles for fluid are too round and not wavy like

Fire.mov

If anybody has any insight or ideas, please, post!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of any effects that would generate flames exactly like that. To get closest to that effect, I would suggest getting a looping flame animation and adding it to a layer. You can use the flame intensity to create a transparency map as well as a bump/normal map so that you get some curvature in your layer rather than it just being flat. The layer itself would be your silver reflective color, and the flame's animation would just be controlling the transparency and bumpiness.

• Hash Fellow

for flames , I've had success with streaks.

LOTS of VERY transparent streaks

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=308692

I'm not sure I have the PRJ file anymore but some explanatory details are in the last post.

If your flame needs to be silver and reflective, that's very much not like a flame. Do you have a picture of what that looks like?

So this fire discussion dredged up an old memory. This is a video I made some 6 years ago (in A:M). Thankfully it never made the light of day, since in looking at now, it aint so great. But, I did make fire for it, using streaks.

I'd think that the same idea could be used for your purposes simply by changing the streak emitters color properties..

Be kind on your thoughts, this is an old old try of mine!

• Hash Fellow
So this fire discussion dredged up an old memory. This is a video I made some 6 years ago (in A:M). Thankfully it never made the light of day, since in looking at now, it aint so great. But, I did make fire for it, using streaks.\

I recall that one! Not bad!

So this fire discussion dredged up an old memory. This is a video I made some 6 years ago (in A:M). Thankfully it never made the light of day, since in looking at now, it aint so great. But, I did make fire for it, using streaks.\

I recall that one! Not bad!

seriously?!? "Shirley" you don't mean that!

I've always wondered if ti was the ferocity of the Scotsmen that brought us Bagpipes, or the Bagpipes that brought out the umm,......, the uh...... the intensity of the Scotsmen? :D

na, it's all in the Scotch! (and to bring it back to the topic of this thread, the fire in their hearts!)

So, here's my flame. I used normal particle sprites. In this pic, my match is in motion so the flame streak is longer than if still, but it seems to be working fine. It's still rendering out the scene (now taking over 15 min a frame)

post-9859-1271642085_thumb.jpg

post-9859-1271642717_thumb.jpg

well, i'm not using streaks, the streak method was just killing my processor. It's just simple blur particles with an extremely low initial velocity. My frames are now over 20 min. The whole reflections on things kinda kills it! by my calculations, I still have approx 15 hours left to render and it's been rendering for over 7. This will be my personal longest render, I'm surprised I've had the patience so far! but so far it seems to be turning out all right. no, if i put more time into and stuff like you guys would, it could look more real and whatnot, but for my purposes, it seems to be doing just fine

• Hash Fellow
well, i'm not using streaks, the streak method was just killing my processor. It's just simple blur particles with an extremely low initial velocity.

Sorry, I didn't read the fine print!

Well, that's why they don't look like my streaks... they're not streaks. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...