sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

texture change

Master chief

OK hopefully simple answer to a irritating problem . is there a way i can change the texture on one surface to that of another.

OK what I'm trying to do is sort of a nanite eruption. theres a grass filled valley that gets hit with a missile of sorts, from the missile metallic lines radiate out wards eventually turning the entire valley into a metallic version. i already have the mats/textures for it i just have yet to find a application method. i know that Boolean cutters can create a new texture into what ever they cut in but i need something that mearly changes it not remove it out right

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might try a material effector. You add a material to it, then whatever the material effector touches will take on that material.

You might place the effector under the missile impact site. Then scale the effector over time until it covers the whole landscape...

If you are going to use decals, you can simply add two images in the same decal image folder. Since it's just drag and drop the second image into the images folder that was created when applying the first they will line up perfectly. Set one to 100% color and one to 0% color. In the chor you can animate their visibility by adjusting the color percentage. And the best of all, it is not limited to just two images, you can add many more

You might try a material effector. You add a material to it, then whatever the material effector touches will take on that material.

You might place the effector under the missile impact site. Then scale the effector over time until it covers the whole landscape...

THAT sounds interesting... where can I learn more about material effectors?

THAT sounds interesting... where can I learn more about material effectors?

I don't know much about them - but they seem to be pretty straight forward

1) rt click on objects in PWS, select NEW/Material Efector

2) create any material - drag this material to the Material effector object

3) place effector object in chor

4) ANY parts of ANY model that gets enveloped in the Material effector object will take on the material characteristics of the Material effector. You can play with shape of effector, as well as fall off properties. And you can animate the effector object

ok heres what i tryed but it wont seam to work

1 made a grid with distortion so that it looks liek terrain, colored it green

2 made a roundish cone thats solid, ie no holes

3 right clicked on the model in Project Workspace -> New -> Material effect

4 applied a metal looking material to the "effect" drop down

5 placed both items onto the chorerographies

6 moved the cone to cover half of the terrain as a test

7 rendered

8 what came out was simply the cone showing through the ground

i have not been able to get the effect specifyed, am i doing something wrong or did i just set something up wrong

i have not been able to get the effect specifyed, am i doing something wrong or did i just set something up wrong

yeah I believe I found that the effector sometimes acted "flakily" - and I believe that some shapes of the effector work better than others (not sure) - I think if you change properties of the effector to test - you have to delete it from the chor and re-add it (again, not sure)

What shape of effector did you use? - try box maybe? (can't remember which one worked best)

I believe Master Tinky-John uses effectors all the time to get his crazy stuff - take a look at some of his projects.

post pic and/or proj if you still can't get it to work.

Your project did NOT have any Material Effector OBJECTS in it. I created one, changed it's shape to box, created a checkered material, dragged it to the effector object, dragged effector object to the chor, placed it around your modeled objects so that it would intersect.

materialeffector.jpg

materialeffector.prj

I have only used material effectors in projects becaus e unfortunately they effect all models they hit

here is a quick sample how I think it can be done based on a decal or decals here I used a material for the landscape (very basic) applied a decal that started out as color percent 0 % had the explosion sprite material for a few frames then turned up the color percent on the decal which had an alpha channel to alllow the not effected area show through. I believe two decals could be used with the color % changing the same way

bacon.mov