sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Older version (v10.5) can't open / won't run

jagklr

I'm a newbie so go gentle with me. Finally got around to installing version 10.5, the CD has a brown gorilla on it with purple face & hands (the contact at the website asked me this question along with what operating system / computer I'm using. Mac OS X both 10.5 Tiger and 10.6 Snow Leopard). The program wouldn't open, so I went to the website and downloaded both updates, one at a time (web & other one). When I go to open the program after trying the web update, I was instructed to type in the "Activation Code". Tried the serial number from the registration card and manual, that didn't work so I deleted that update. The other update I installed and tried to open said to insert the "Subscription CD" into the disk drive.........huh?

The contact at the website asked for the picture on the CD I installed and what kind of computer / operating system I was using. They also mentioned to try the forum for possible help with my problem while they research my problem for correction.

Thanks for any / all input.

I still have the original box with UPC code and other numbers on it if that helps

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, version 10.5 of the Mac version of A:M doesn't work with the current Mac OS's (it was designed to run on 10.3). Tiger support wasn't added until version 12.

The Subscription version gives you the latest version of A:M (now at 15) and has to be renewed each year. It's only $79, so it's far cheaper than the disc version. The subscription version doesn't require a CD but is tied to one machine (you get sent an activation code). You can only use it during that year, at which point it will expire and you will need to renew your subscription.

Hope that helps!

• Hash Fellow
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, this cost me some bucks when I got it a few years ago, I finally get around to trying it out and now I have to spend even more money!!!!!

I appreciate your input / help, thanks again.

I'm not sure OSX had even been released when v10.5 was out.

Your "orangutan" disc will also install A:M on a PC if you happen to have access to one. You can get the last update to v10.5 at the ftp page. I think 10.5r was the last one. Not sure if it was AM2002 or AM2003. The installer usually says what version it is doing.

10.5 was much improved over previous versions, but many bugs have been fixed and improvements made since then.

Well, that's the speed of progress! Still, I started with 10.5, too and it was released in June of 2004, so it's actually FIVE years old! If you wanted to use a 5 year old version of Photoshop, you'd be back to Photoshop CS (8) and Adobe doesn't support it for the new OSs, either. :-)

Lets face it: A:M cant be run on Windows 3.1 neighter... sorry to say that, but if you change your OS to something that hadnt been out I think it is quite comon to not be able to run the programm...

Not Hash or A:M is to be blamed here... apple is... if they change that much and doesnt stay at compatible it is not A:Ms fault.

I would recommend you to use an older computer with the old OS, go to a windows-machine for testing A:M or / and get A:M v15 if you like it.

It is a pitty that you never could find the time in 5 years to try it out so...

See you

*Fuchur*

Sounds like you were entering the wrong serial #... you won't use the one from your old CD- you should have gotten a new # with your subscription. Write it down!

As I understand it, he doesnt own a subscription... he just didnt know which update to get.

*Fuchur*

The Orangutan disc can actually run v11, so you could try the latest version of that.

Here are the links:

v11 for OS9

v11 for OSX

v11 for Windows

v11.1 for Windows (I'm not sure, but this might also run with the Orangutan CD)

If the OS9 or OSX versions don't work, you could try the Windows version using Bootcamp or Virtualbox.

Hope that helps.