Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

What did I do wrong?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only thing I remember about the 2001 rig was that you needed to do something somewhat strange to get it to work. It was a relationship that had to be dragged and dropped on the character before it would work. The name of the relationship was something like 'drag and drop to animate'.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Rusty

PS: I'm not in a place right now were I can dl the model and look at it.

• Hash Fellow

He seems to generally move with his bones but something is wrong with the knees. If I lower his hips or tilt the forward his kness bend backwards. There is some problem there.

I also notice the "back" and "pelvis" bones have been moved away from the Hip Null. I believe they should all originate in the same spot.

The "leg hinges" no longer reach all the way to their respective foot targets.

Those are a couple things i nitice right away when I compare this to the "2001 Skeleton.mdl" on the CD.

I dont' know a lot about the 2001 rig.

Any reason not to use TSM2? I really think it's easier.

He seems to generally move with his bones but something is wrong with the knees. If I lower his hips or tilt the forward his kness bend backwards. There is some problem there.

I also notice the "back" and "pelvis" bones have been moved away from the Hip Null. I believe they should all originate in the same spot.

The "leg hinges" no longer reach all the way to their respective foot targets.

Those are a couple things i nitice right away when I compare this to the "2001 Skeleton.mdl" on the CD.

I dont' know a lot about the 2001 rig.

Any reason not to use TSM2? I really think it's easier.

I guess I should redo it with the TSM2 rig. I was following that tut and used what it told me.

Thanks for the response. :)

Caroline also has a really good tut for rigging a biped with TSM2.

It's pinned at the top of the TSM2 rigging part of the forum as "Rigging GalaDM with TSM Workshop".

That is what I followed to rig my caveman.

It was pretty helpful.

There are alot of bones out of position.

You could also try installing the 2008 rig, it comes will instructions (PDF). The bones that are out of place in the 2001 rig in your install, get automaticly positioned in the 2008 rig when exporting from an action after positioning the rig. The main thing with the 2008 rig is to follow the instructions and you'll need to make sure your model is CFA'ed properly with your model centered on the X axis.

rig0.jpg

There are alot of bones out of position.

You could also try installing the 2008 rig, it comes will instructions (PDF). The bones that are out of place in the 2001 rig in your install, get automaticly positioned in the 2008 rig when exporting from an action after positioning the rig. The main thing with the 2008 rig is to follow the instructions.

will do! thanks!

No they aren't. I unhid all the bones in the rig. The bones out of position in the render I posted are hidden in your screen cap, trust me.

[EDIT] Open the bones folder, unhide the root bone while holding the shift key down. This will unhide all the bones in the rig.

[EDIT] Open the bones folder, unhide the root bone while holding the shift key down. This will unhide all the bones in the rig.

COOL TRICK! I did NOT know that! Then- I suppose you would have to back thru and 'knowingly' re-hide all the bones that need be hidden...

Yes in the 2001 rig you would have to manually rehide the bones. In the 2008 rig you can just rehide the root bone with the shift key down to hide all bones and run the install rig plugin to unhide the geometry bones. You could even leave them all hidden, the FK/IK poses hide and unhide what's needed when animating.

I am trying to use TSM2 now and the plugin is not showing up.

is there a trick to activating it? How do I get it to show up in plugins?

Sorry for seeming like an idiot but I am sooooooooo frustrated right now LOL

Thanks.

Ok much much closer! TSM2 rigged but I still have mistakes.

Please help?

frankenface2hairrigged.mdl

First off I have to say that I have not rigged a lot with the TSM2 rig but I have a little experience with it.

My solution is not the only fix but it should help you get going again.

The first thing I did was to delete the entire left side of Frankenface.

I then cleaned up the splines along the center to be continuous chains. (If you select one CP in the chain and then hit the comma (,) it should select the whole chain. If not there is a problem where it stops)

I then aligned all the CP's for the center of Frankenface by selecting each spline chain along the center, setting the "X" value for pivot to "0" and then setting the "X" value for scale to "0".

You should see the whole spline now aligned perfectly straight on "X". (The green line running top to bottom in the modeling window).

I did this for each center spline until they all were on the "X" plane.

I saved and then selected the entire half model. Right click inside the selected area and chose "Copy,Flip,Attach".

You should now have a complete Frankenface with perfectly mirrored halves.

Save.

Next you need to install the TSM2 rig.

I think you had this part pretty much right by following the install instructions.

Your problems were coming from not having a symmetrical model that was centered on the "X" plane.

I included a couple models so you can see what I did and then make the corrections to your model yourself.

I did not weight the model other than Auto Assign CP's.

When you do assign the CP's absolutly NONE can be assigned to the body bone or and "BLACK" bones in the rig.

They must all be assigned to geometry bones.

Good Luck and I hope I helped a little.

There are others on here that are much better than I am at this but I thought I would try to help.

frankenface2hairriggedTDF.mdlfrankenface2hairriggedTDF_TSMstage2.mdl

• Hash Fellow
so far TSM2 it MUST be symettrical?

Alot of times I make my faces assymetrical on purpose.

but I understand what your saying.

Thank you!

TSM2 doesn't do the "face" rig so a symmetrical face isn't required. You brew your own face rig or adopt one from something someone else has developed.

TSM2 supposes you have made you body symmetrical since it has that "Flipper" step that makes a symmetrical left hand copy of the bones. But if your left side is different you can just move the left bones into position like you did for the right ones initially.

TSM Rigger ( the third step) usually doesn't care about symmetry.

I do notice with TSM2 that I do not have enough controls to animate the character.

cant move the feet, or hips or anything. all the controls I am used to are missing.

Is there something I am missing? what gives with no (can't think of the proper name right now) the yellow control boxes?

Guess I am coming across as stupid but I am not a good rigger and trying to learn.

I hate when things just don't work like I expect LOL.

Thanks for putting up with me. ;)

up until now I always just stole my rigs from other characters.

• Hash Fellow
I do notice with TSM2 that I do not have enough controls to animate the character.

cant move the feet, or hips or anything. all the controls I am used to are missing.

Is there something I am missing? what gives with no (can't think of the proper name right now) the yellow control boxes?

Guess I am coming across as stupid but I am not a good rigger and trying to learn.

I hate when things just don't work like I expect LOL.

Thanks for putting up with me. ;)

up until now I always just stole my rigs from other characters.

Yup, you're missing something major since all those controls are in TSM2. It doesn't use nulls but bones are moved just like nulls.

if you want a box around a bone just hit n to turn on the translate manipulator.

>Alot of times I make my faces assymetrical on purpose.

but I understand what your saying.

Thank you!

for example if you paste/mirror keyframes with muscleinfo )

and to model the assymetry in a pose, so that you can activate your "final" look with a poseslider or an on/off switch.

To questions related to pose handling read my late threads in the Newbie section.

Jake

Hey Spleen,

I hope I didn't confuse things for you.

Like I said, I am learning TSM2 also.

I'm glad Robcat is helping you out.

He really understands this rig.

Robcat is one of the great teachers.

You mentioned not being able to move anything with the rig.

One thing that is easy to forget with the TSM rig is to turn the TSM constraints ON.

I still forget and move a bone only to see the character do nothing.

Make sure you turn the constraints ON before you start to animate.

Good luck with Frankenface.