Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

how can i use more then one camera

Jeff B

Hi all

Sorry, very newbie question here.

I am trying to make a short film with two different camera shots, but I'm having trouble. Can anyone tell me how to get two cameras to work and how to render them at different points of the film. I would like to have the first camera slowly zoom in one my actor then change to the next camera that is in a different place and continue the shot. Then may be go back to the first camera again.

Hope this all makes scene to someone.

Thanks for any help from anyone, if you could be as simple as passable because I'm not that up on tect talk.

Thanks again

Jeff :blink:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

B)-->

QUOTE(Jeff B @ Nov 20 2008, 11:54 AM) 287143[/snapback]
Sorry, very newbie question here.

I am trying to make a short film with two different camera shots, but I'm having trouble. Can anyone tell me how to get two cameras to work and how to render them at different points of the film. I would like to have the first camera slowly zoom in one my actor then change to the next camera that is in a different place and continue the shot. Then may be go back to the first camera again.

you can keyframe the camera to change position like you can any other bone.

Keyframe it to do the move you want in the first "shot", then keyframe it to the new spot for your next shot. All in the same Chor.

Another option is to do your two shots in different chors, render them separately, and edit them together with A:Ms editing (NLE) ability.

You can also add a second (or third or fourth) camera to a choreography, say, one for a long shot and another for closeup and render frames from each for the relevant sequence.

As robcat said you can keyframe your camera to move to the "closeup" shot but you have to be very mindful of the keyframes that are created and peak them, or the camera will do a long swoop before any dramatic camera moves. For me it's always been easier to just add cameras. Hitting "1" on the keypad will cycle through all the various camera views.

And there's the NLE editor, which I haven't used yet but sounds pretty cool, for compositing your renders.

A:M does not animate different cameras. If you add a camera, you basically animate from the 2 separate cameras.

You have 2 options:

1. render your cameras separately and use them as separate clips that you'd edit together (in another program).

2. The easier way is to animate the one camera. Move the camera to where you need it to be. You can use the "hold" function to make it jump into place or animate the zoom.

I always thought the way to go about this would be to use multiple cameras in the choreography and use the 'ON-OFF' property for each to turn each camera ON and OFF as needed... I'm going to test it...

EDIT: Nope, that idea did not work the way I thought it would.

What I do is set up my shot and and render it making note of the times.

Then I move camera make another shot starting one frame forward so when I join them it is seamless.

This works very well for me.

If you don't plan on editing the clip (I.E. adding after effects, etc to a single or each clip) and all you're going to do is join them together, wouldn't it be faster to just animate one camera?

Just a thought.

George

• Admin
I always thought the way to go about this would be to use multiple cameras in the choreography and use the 'ON-OFF' property for each to turn each camera ON and OFF as needed... I'm going to test it...

EDIT: Nope, that idea did not work the way I thought it would.

Yes, the primary problem with this approach is that there is no provision to tell A:M to render from different cameras automatically and there can be only one active camera. This 'multi-camera rendering 'can be accomplished via Netrender as that program renders from a list of Choreographies each with its own active camera. Netender isn't a viable option for everyone. It requires a knowledge of networks, troubleshooting and basic scripting for instance. For licensing of Netrender contact Hash Inc. (Personal opionion: If you can't coordinate a license with Hash Inc you won't be very effective with Netrender. Netrendering isn't hard... but it'll take a commitment.)

As far as I can tell this leaves us with two options in A:M.

1) Set up and render from one camera that follows each scene in order. You could render out of sequence out of order but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that as you'd need to put them back in that sequence later anyway.

Benefit: An entire film can contained in one Choreography.

Best Use?: Small projects

2) Set up each camera separately and render each scene manually. You can render the scenes out to different location or to the same folder. If setup correctly the images would all automatically be in their proper sequence in the final film.

Benefit: Each scene in the film is its own entity. Its easy to adjust one scene or shot without effecting another.

Best Use?: Large projects