Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Photoshop, How Deep?

MJL

So many tutorials and so much advice throughout the forum involves the use of photoshop. I was thinking about trying to pick up a used copy of the software on e-bay.

I probably wouldn't need the whole CS3 suite, so I was wondering; what would be the least elaborate version of photoshop would I need to do the stuff for layering, texturing, IBL,etc.

My experience at image manipulation & CG stuff is less than minimal. :blink:

I already have Corel, but the learning curve on it seems, to me at least, steep. The learning curve in PS is probably steep as well but I think I could follow the step by step instructions that people give in their posts.

I would rather spend the learning curve time that I have on A:M.

Input and opinions please. Thank You

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably wouldn't need the whole CS3 suite, so I was wondering; what would be the least elaborate version of photoshop would I need to do the stuff for layering, texturing, IBL,etc.

I use PS 6 (6.01) - this is a version pre "CS" (creative suite) - plenty fine & dandy - I don't need anything more - hope you can find it. There might be lite versions of Photoshop as well - which might also fit your needs - but I don't have experience with them.

There are free image editing programs floating around that others use - perhaps others can suggest what they like for image editing, creating.

Everything will take time to learn. A:M especially, too. Unless you're 14. Then it should take a week-end or so.

I use Photoshop Elements 5 which is way cheaper. I don't miss the big guns, but probably other people would. The only thing I miss is not being able to organise my layers into folders. Other people might miss some of the brush abilities, but I do my painting in TwistedBrush or Dogwaffle.

I would suggest you download a 30 day trial of Photoshop Elements from Adobe, and see if that does for you, and then try a 30 day trial of Photoshop, and see what more it gives you. PS is much more expensive than PSE, so you could find out first whether you need to spend all that.

Whichever you get, there's a whole lot of learning to be done :)

It depends on what you really need it for. If you can get by with something like the Gimp, then buying Photoshop would be overkill. That said, as a long time Photoshop user (since 1993), I look forward to the latest and greatest. I love the fact that Photoshop CS3 Extended can work with video.

The nice thing about the Gimp is that there are a ton of add-ons available for it. Such as filters, gap (animation add-on), etc.

You should try Gimp, if it doesn't do what you want, then look at Photoshop. But I think you might find that Gimp should satisfy your needs. Both are not the easiest applications to work with, but both also have tons of tutorials to do pretty much anything you could want to do.

I use v7 photoshop. It is ancient but perfectly fine for my needs. I bought it originally as version 3 or 4 off the internet for $99. Someone wanted some quick cash. We contacted Adobe and transfered the license and I have upgraded it periodically since then. Try to find cheap old versions for sale. They are just as good as "new" and once you get the license transfered you can update them.

-vern

Big Thanks to everyone who replied.

The rationale for getting a version of PS is so that I could follow step by step instructions offered in various tutorials. I already haveCoresDraw Suite X3 but I can't find a PhotoShop to Corel translation book. :D

It appears to me that most of the good folks here on the forum have some kind of background or experience with graphics software. The jargon & terminology passing back and forth have no meaning to me, that's all. :wacko:

I'm watching e-bay on a couple of versions. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks again, everyone.

Myron

Photoshop is great but it requires some dough. I had PS elements 2 and 3, and they're good too. I'll have to check out gimpshop... But my recommendation would have to be paint shop pro. I mostly used it for web design but it has plenty of other uses too. I know this thresd is a bit old, but I responded just in case, and for the sake of posterity :)

• Admin

Myron,

What is it that you are trying to do? (any specific tutorials you need translated?)

If you have Photopaint you already have the tools and ease of use you need.

Knowing how straightforward photopaint is and how similar it is to these other programs mentioned I think investing in another program will defeat your purpose here. Once you've learned one program much of what you've learned will easily translate to other programs too.

Folks around here will be glad to help you through the rough spots. (See how many responded here!)

Learning curve? You don't need one of those. Skip the learning curve! ;)

Big Thanks to everyone who replied.

The rationale for getting a version of PS is so that I could follow step by step instructions offered in various tutorials. I already haveCoresDraw Suite X3 but I can't find a PhotoShop to Corel translation book. :D

It appears to me that most of the good folks here on the forum have some kind of background or experience with graphics software. The jargon & terminology passing back and forth have no meaning to me, that's all. :wacko:

I'm watching e-bay on a couple of versions. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I understand your rationale. It sure makes sense to me, especially if you can get Photoshop 6 or 7 for cheap on eBay.

Experience with some kind of Paint program is essential in creating 3D art. As you are realizing, you eventually get to a point where you just have to buckle down and learn some kind of paint program, whatever it is.

I use BOTH PhotoShop CS2 and Photo Paint X3 extensively for texturing and bitmap editing and I only want to say both programs have their own weaknesses and advantages if compared side by side. PhotoShop has features PhotoPaint doesn't have and vice versa and one program approach a particular problem better than the other one and vice versa, which is why I use both. Much of the features in each programs use the same general workflow, they only use different interfaces and graphical element terminology.

So if you have any questions about converting the workflow of PhotoShop to PhotoPaint feel free to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, a very BIG 'Thank You' to all who responded,

I've tracked photo-shop on e-bay a bit, and even there it's a bit out of my budget for now. I've decided to bite the bullet and scale the learning curve that sits in front of the Corel software that I already have. Once I do so, I will understand the underlying concepts of image manipulation to at least some degree. (At least enough to bug you guys with stupid questions.) :)

Myron

• Admin

Myron,

If you are anything like me (which granted may not be much) you need some clear goals to work toward.

When considering what you want to do with any program don't think too broadly. Narrow your options just as you have (wisely) done here.

Its important to keep learning fun or you'll get bogged down quickly.

For this reason I suggest 'doubling up'.

For instance, I know you have some story ideas in mind for the future.

What elements of those ideas can you test relatively quickly?

What parts of your long term projects can be applied in the near term?

Can you Modify existing resources to help eradicate the learning curve?

Without rereading your posts I assume the primary reason for use of a digital paint program is to texture your models.

So... locate a model you like and explore what is there already.

Open a decal image in Photopaint and change it.

Delete stuff. Alter stuff. Explore stuff. Make as many mistakes as you can.

Then when you are working on your own creations you will recall the experience.

As you have Coreldraw might I suggest you start something of a personal production journal?

One of the coolest things you can do is render out objects with Alpha Channels in A:M and place them anywhere you need them on the page.

Need to add text to elaborate more on the image? Add that too.

Save the document out as a PDF file... create your own newsletter... learn what you want to learn... and do what YOU want to do.

Share the results with a friend.

Start a Work In Progress in the WIP forum and invite others to learn along with you. You'll be amazed at the response you get. When something doesn't work as you think it should ask and get other's perspectives. Learn from others' experience. The feedback you'll get here in the forum is very important.

Of course you don't have to do anything I'm suggesting here but I'm telling you what I wish I'd done when I first started out with A:M. Lurking and just reading others posts is not good for us creatively when there is so much to learn. To maximize return on our investment in the near term we must get creatively involved with like minded people and use the software for all its worth. Just as we are doing (collectively) here.

Enough from me. I've been too long winded.

In case you can't tell... I'm excited about your future.