sprockets 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

5 point patch

petokosun

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was unfamiliar with hitting the period key twice to activate the 5 point patch button. I'll have to try that! I have found though, that sometimes getting the button to activate depends on the order I've selected the cp's. If it doesn't activate, I select the cp's in a different order, and eventually the button becomes active.

If it doesn't activate, I select the cp's in a different order, and eventually the button becomes active.
Hitting period key solves that 99% of the time:) And it is a lot quicker

If you have 5 continuous splines, as in Stain's pic above, the 5 point button will usually work; worst case, the period should work. If you have more splines converging on the 5 pointer, then the only way to skin the patch is to keep selecting different combinations till you hit the right one. If you have a hook right next to the 5 pointer, you need to delete the hook, close the 5 pointer, and then rehook the adjacent spline.

...or better, extend the spline and make the hook somehwere else, in a 4-CP patch. 5-point patches can have smoothing issues anyway, and having a hook in there only makes the situation worse.

Generally, when I can't get a 5-point patch to "make," even with the period, it's because I've duplicated a spline - got two right on top of each other - so I'm really selecting 7 CPs with the group tool and of course that won't make a patch. I find the dupe by clicking on each CP in turn and pulling it out of position, then using "undo" to put it back where it should be.

Having said that, it's worth noting that one of the few things that will crash A:M is being too fast and loose with the undo. Save before doing the above.