sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need Feed Back on Face

I've never been extremely good at modeling faces of people. Cartoon characters and such I do so-so. I've been doing ALOT of modeling lately in case you're watching the forums and one of the many things I'm working on is faces. I was wondering if you guys would mind criting my work and letting me know how it looks so far and how I can make it look better. Thanks.

bad_kitty0.jpg

side_profile0.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been extremely good at modeling faces of people. Cartoon characters and such I do so-so. I've been doing ALOT of modeling lately in case you're watching the forums and one of the many things I'm working on is faces. I was wondering if you guys would mind criting my work and letting me know how it looks so far and how I can make it look better. Thanks.

Looks good and just as important your splines should animate well... good job. Usually I like to have more spline circles around the eyes and mouth but I think you have enough. Usually a face is modeled with a nutral expression (the eye brows seem raised -- I could be wrong) and modeled with the mouth closed but again, you should do all right (you'll just have to have a pose that places the face in a mouth closed nutral expression).

Rusty

In case you didn't know about faces. You can fill in the blank patches by flipping the face. if you select the cps around the face (that needs to be flipped) then hit the "f" key, it will flip the face and it won't be transparent. If you already know this then good.

The face is looking good.

George.

A good effort but you have a couple of problem areas.

1st the 3 point patches on the side of the nose need to go. Sometimes you can't avoid them so if you must use them make them small and hide them in an obscure place.

2nd, the dead vertical spline down the side of the face needs to be shaped to the contour of the face.

Cheers

A good effort but you have a couple of problem areas.

1st the 3 point patches on the side of the nose need to go. Sometimes you can't avoid them so if you must use them make them small and hide them in an obscure place.

2nd, the dead vertical spline down the side of the face needs to be shaped to the contour of the face.

Cheers

Thanks man. I always have trouble with that spline. In the front view do you think that spline's position is okay or should I pull it back a bit behind the head?

You made the nose a little worse. Sometimes it is better just to play with the splines on paper and see how they work or hwo they might be better placed. You need to get rid of those 'ring' splines. Spliens well placed can achieve the same result and if you need sharper edges then you can play with the CP magnitude, alpha and gamma values.

Note that I have drawn too many splines - you can subtract at least 1 vertical and one horizontal loop and still get the shape you desire.

Cheers

You made the nose a little worse. Sometimes it is better just to play with the splines on paper and see how they work or hwo they might be better placed. You need to get rid of those 'ring' splines. Spliens well placed can achieve the same result and if you need sharper edges then you can play with the CP magnitude, alpha and gamma values.

Note that I have drawn too many splines - you can subtract at least 1 vertical and one horizontal loop and still get the shape you desire.

Cheers

LOL I didnt think I could make it worse but I see what you mean. Thanks. I'll continue to tweak it until I get a better look. Oh, by the way, not Peter Pan, the Black Cauldron.

Okay, moved a bunch of splines around. Redid the nose and subtracted and added a few splines. The overall feel is still good but I feel some of the splines need to disappear. Any ideas???

that´s much better... i would think about taking the nosesplines where you made a hook one or two cross-sections up to a more flat area, you may have problems with those hooks later causing creases when you make a sneer-pose... i always try to use hooks on flat non-animated areas...

Much better. You don't have an unreasonable number of splines there so unless you are unhappy - I'd leave it as is.

Next job is to look at the curve of the face across the cheek. Look at the shape from below the face - I think you'll need to pull some of those splines out in the Z axis to 'fill' the cheeks.

Cheers

Its natural to do that. Hit the '0' key and view the mesh from underneath and pull the CP's out int he Z axis to give the face body. Another method is to obtain reference images at different angles and then match the mesh view to the same angle and see where the face is flattened. It just takes practise.

Cheers

Hit the '0' key and view the mesh from underneath and pull the CP's out int he Z axis to give the face body.

I often use another methode, which involves pressing the keys "1" (x-axis), "2"(y-axis) or "3"(z-axis) for the manipulation.

Just keep one of the buttons pressed and drag and drop the CPs with the mouse. You will see that only one axis is affected.

With this methode you can transform your cps very controlable from any view-angle.

*Fuchur*