Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Light Source

Steven547

Afternoon everyone. I'm getting back into this again after the clean up here in California from the fires. So, I apologize if i'm rusty or sound stupid, but, I have an animation (simplistic), using the lamp (the pixar looking one). I want to animate it (which i've done so far). I want to have that light bulb turn on or stay on. How do I add a light source to the lamp?

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using the lamp from the disc. It seems that the actual light bulb does not have a "bone" attached to it. Would I have to attach a light source to that specific bone? I'm currently rendering my file so you can see what I mean. I'll upload it soon as it is done.

Here is is: I want to put a light on the light bulb.

LightMove2.mov

What I would do is import a Rim light, change its color and intensity to whatever is desired, place it inside the light bulb, adjust the direction, constrain it to the bulb (Translate to and Orient like - both with compensate), and then adjust the cone to the desired effect.

You'll just have to experiment with different light models to get the desired results.

What Dhar said - except I believe he probably meant to say use a Klieg type light.

No, I meant a Rim light. Other lights I would use if I wanted it to light up the entire surrounding. But for a light with a shade, I use Rim light that way I can control which way the beam is directed and its fall-off properties. I also use the Rim as a spot light. A Klieg would be good for a candle, I think, where the light eminates in all directions? Am I right? I don't know. :P

What Dhar said - except I believe he probably meant to say use a Klieg type light.

No, I meant a Rim light. Other lights I would use if I wanted it to light up the entire surrounding. But for a light with a shade, I use Rim light that way I can control which way the beam is directed and its fall-off properties. I also use the Rim as a spot light. A Klieg would be good for a candle, I think, where the light eminates in all directions? Am I right? I don't know. :P

The default rim light that comes in the default chor is a Klieg type light - a spot light. So I think we're talking about the same thing. The other types of lights are sun (one direction, parallel rays) and bulb (all directions).

Klieg type is still in use today with A:M.

If you look under the objects folder and inspect the rim light, or fill, or key light - you will see the property type - if you pull that down - you'll see that you could change any of the lights (key, fill, rim) to any type you would like - sun, bulb, or klieg. The terms key, fill, rim are just "standard" photography terms/names for lighting setups - You could rename them to george, harry, alfredo if you wanted.

lighttypes.jpg

lite.mov

$1.98 video tutorial..model and tut done in about 5-10 minutes so do not laugh

you still would have to constrain the light to the bone in the lamp shade either in a pose or in the action or chor

I compressed this so it might be a bit blurry or maybe its just me

adding

quick video after constraints

light.mov

and project file v14c

light.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow
As far as the contraints, I do that like I would do the exercise where the rabbit has his hand attached to the door knob right? or is it done another way?

If you do New>light in your model window you wont' need to use constraints. Make the light a child of a bone in your model.

ALT-1 will make the PWS appear. you can look at the heirarchy of your bones there under the listing for your model. drag the light under any bone to make it a child of that bone.

I was a little confused by the answers and I've added Hierachal lights many times. In the model window in bones mode right click and go down to add new light. It's easy to move the bone to any position in the model. A Kileg light would be best for a desk lamp because you can direct the light.

Just thought I'd put in my two cents.

Camillo

:P

Any "2 cents" is worth a "dollar" to me. What i'm looking to do is have 3 lights with 3 different colors moving around. So when I add the light, can I add it in the "model" section and make it a permanent fixture of the light? Also, can I easily turn it off and on when I want during the frames? I'm working on this right now, so maybe i'll answer my own questions....

• Admin

While I've always liked lights in models I've become a fan of adding lights in an Action for several reasons.

One. You can easily add the action with however many lights you've added to a model in the choreography. (An empty model works fine)

Two. You can reuse the Light setup easily. Create a whole Library of Action Lights.

Three. Its easy to create lights in an action. Just drag and drop them in. (In a model lights are created at 0,0,0 and have to be moved manually. In an action they are created via the current view -I think... I'll have to retest this-)

Four. Its easy to move/animate the lights. Not as easy in a model. (...and yes, its easy to turn them on and off)

Five, Six, Seven and Eight. Other reasons I've forgot. ;)

Nine. Painting with light is fun. (Try a negative value!)

Ten. Its another way to get the job done.

If you are just adding a light to a lamp however it would seem that adding it via the model would work well. When in doubt... keep it simple.

ok. So my other question is, how do I keep that light from moving around? I want it to be a "fixture" with the lamp.

Also, you say to add it in the action section. So would I create separate "light" actions (on/off) etc per light then add that light to the model in the choreography? And someone get it to not move in the choreography.

Sorry for all the questions, i'm still a major beginner. I bought the one book (big thick harry potter looking book) and i'm trying to understand that as well as the DVD's I bought. Sometimes I think I need it explained like a 1st grader! haha

thanks for all info!

• Admin
ok. So my other question is, how do I keep that light from moving around? I want it to be a "fixture" with the lamp.

If your light is in your model it shouldn't move unless you move the model itself.

If you have followed instructions by others above and made the light a child of another bone then the light will move when that other bone moves. Making it independent of the other bone will keep it from moving.

What are you seeing on your end?

If your light is in your model it shouldn't move unless you move the model itself.

If you have followed instructions by others above and made the light a child of another bone then the light will move when that other bone moves. Making it independent of the other bone will keep it from moving.

I'll have to try this sometime tomorrow. I was experimenting with adding a light. If I create the light (right click, select new, then light) in the MODEL view, then go to the CHOR view and animate during a "full render mode", will I see the light shine then?

Sorry, it's 12am right now other wise I would load up the program and check. Just heading to get some rest now.

Ok...home now and trying this out. I'm in the "model" mode and don't see where I can add a light. Am I missing something here? I was thinking I could add a light and make it a part of the model itself......i'm so confused.

UPDATE: Ok...i've added the light to the lamp in the MODEL section. What i'm confused about, is how to keep it from moving. I want it to look like a real "light". When the lamp moves, the light moves as well. I'm confused on the "constraint" part......