Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Birds Eye view of crash

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David - Nice touches all around! The shattered parts, the smoke and even the gouge in the turf. Nice sense of detail. Only comment is that it all happens a little fast. Will this be presented in realtime speed like this, or slo-mo for clarity? In any event, nicely done.

David - Nice touches all around! The shattered parts, the smoke and even the gouge in the turf. Nice sense of detail. Only comment is that it all happens a little fast. Will this be presented in realtime speed like this, or slo-mo for clarity? In any event, nicely done.

Gerry,

I have a 1/2 speed slo mo version but it's too large to post here.

Thanks for the compliments.

(Just re did the in cab version too)

David

well, I have to say I like this version of the crash, it kind of answers unanswered questions. Anyways, good as always,

any news onthe case

Odog2020,

What do you mean "any news on the case"?

David

Hey, that's cool! But the cars are kinda spaced out too much for that to be realistic. You have to make it appear that the red car is right in front of the green one and it quickly skids a turn around the black one and the truck is right behind the green car so it swerves right and hits the black one. Almost what you have except way faster and with a little better physics. The red car kinda stops too fast and doesn't skid. You should make it skid, because it would look more realistic for that stopping speed!

Great job so far!!!!

*edit* I lied, the red car stopped on time, it's just that the green one shouldn't have had to swerve at those speeds!

Hey, that's cool! But the cars are kinda spaced out too much for that to be realistic. You have to make it appear that the red car is right in front of the green one and it quickly skids a turn around the black one and the truck is right behind the green car so it swerves right and hits the black one. Almost what you have except way faster and with a little better physics. The red car kinda stops too fast and doesn't skid. You should make it skid, because it would look more realistic for that stopping speed!

Great job so far!!!!

*edit* I lied, the red car stopped on time, it's just that the green one shouldn't have had to swerve at those speeds!

The green vehicle was already sliding as it entered the scene. The driver indicated she had to slide off the road to avoid hitting red car.

It is partially due to the perspective.

Do you have an example of "better physics"?

This was reconstructed from witness statements and the police officer who investigated the crash.

David

Wow this is great.

My brother had asked me a long time ago if AM could be used for this type of thing. I told him at that time I had not seen any crash reconstructions done with AM so I couldn't say for sure.

He said he knew someone who was doing only crash animations for legal purposes and was doing pretty good business.

------------------------

Do you see being able to "save" this as a template for creating new ones "easier" in the future?

Vernon "!" Zehr

Very nice. How did you make the dirt skid appear gradually?

gre03,

It's an illusion, it actually rises above the ground, but your brain thinks it's a gauge.

1. I made a shape that matches the ground profile, and positioned it right below the surface.

2. Created a pose slider using muscle mode, so that as the slider advances another section is raised above the ground plane.

There is also a particle emmitter spewing dirt and grass that doesn't show up too well in the posted file.

David

Wow this is great.

My brother had asked me a long time ago if AM could be used for this type of thing. I told him at that time I had not seen any crash reconstructions done with AM so I couldn't say for sure.

He said he knew someone who was doing only crash animations for legal purposes and was doing pretty good business.

------------------------

Do you see being able to "save" this as a template for creating new ones "easier" in the future?

Vernon "!" Zehr

Vern,

Thanks, coming from you, that means a lot!

Can someone use AM for crash reconstruction... yes.

Is it a good use for it.... probably not, Kind of like a square peg thing.

There are things that just don't always work out.

I have a laundry list of things I'd like to see AM be able to, but seeing as how I'm minority (read probably only a handfull of users applying the software this way), it (AM) will more than likely be forced to a secondary role in my reconstructions. What that means is there is other SW out there that has crash dynamic plugins available, vehicle dynamics plugins, terrain generating capabilities etc that I may be forced to spend the thousands to buy.

AM can do those things but it takes a lot of determination (plus I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer) to figure it out and the endless tweaking...

Your question about saving it as a template is a good one. But I don't know how it would work out as each case is different.

There are practices I have learned, and in fact the process needs to be streamlined, as the work is out there if you go get it.

There is work I have sitting on the back burner.....

There is a link I have set up for one of the lawyers I work with that has some of the stuff I've done for him, if anyone is interested.

David

Sometime in the future I have plans of creating something quite ambitious with a friend of mine, however things need to blow up reeeeal gooooood.

So I'm wondering about what you have done here:

1) How did you get the black truck to crumple? Pre-modeled with bones or did you alter the shape again with sliders?

2) Are all those flotsam bits also modeled and hiding inside the trucks until needed?

This is definatly very cool, and gives me great hope that what I want to do can be done as well as I want it to be.

Sometime in the future I have plans of creating something quite ambitious with a friend of mine, however things need to blow up reeeeal gooooood.

So I'm wondering about what you have done here:

1) How did you get the black truck to crumple? Pre-modeled with bones or did you alter the shape again with sliders?

2) Are all those flotsam bits also modeled and hiding inside the trucks until needed?

This is definatly very cool, and gives me great hope that what I want to do can be done as well as I want it to be.

1. I used pose sliders in muscle mode to collapse the points.

2. I use the Newton plugin to explode the portions of the cars. It's pretty involved, but works well.

The exploding parts are in the chor, then made active the second the explosion is required.

David

Nice work here. So is this in addition too the other shot angle or is that one scrapped now? I'm enjoying watching you work through this.

..doug

Doug,

Which shot are you refering too?

David

• Hash Fellow

Presuming that this is an accurate depiction of the event, I'd say the green car and the truck are at fault here. In this state they would be guilty of following too closely since there was only about 1 second between red car and green car and between green car and truck.

Looks good. So who is actually getting sued in all this?

Presuming that this is an accurate depiction of the event, I'd say the green car and the truck are at fault here. In this state they would be guilty of following too closely since there was only about 1 second between red car and green car and between green car and truck.

Looks good. So who is actually getting sued in all this?

Robcat,

The Semi driver's company is being sued.

He was sited for failure to maintain his lane.

Actually if the driver of the red car could be located, they would have also been charged with causing the accident.

David

Think of it this way? How fast are they going? At 10 meters away, going 10 meters per second, it takes1 second. I think they are going about 60 kelometers per hour, or 1 kelometer per minute, or ≈.33 kelometers per second. At that rate it would take about ≈1/2 of a second for the cars to collide at 10 meters away, which is about how far cars are on freeways and roads after a group of cars all entered the highway so that they are more clumped. Or at 20 meters, which is pretty far, it would take ≈ one second. And even there, the red car slowed down from that speed 'really' fast, and should probably have skidded. Whatever. I just think you could make it look better with the little bit more speed and slowness and skidding FX.

Think of it this way? How fast are they going? At 10 meters away, going 10 meters per second, it takes1 second. I think they are going about 60 kelometers per hour, or 1 kelometer per minute, or ≈.33 kelometers per second. At that rate it would take about ≈1/2 of a second for the cars to collide at 10 meters away, which is about how far cars are on freeways and roads after a group of cars all entered the highway so that they are more clumped. Or at 20 meters, which is pretty far, it would take ≈ one second. And even there, the red car slowed down from that speed 'really' fast, and should probably have skidded. Whatever. I just think you could make it look better with the little bit more speed and slowness and skidding FX.

Thanks for the pointers.