Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Simple screw

agep

I found my self in need of an simple screw :D But that little thingy was darn hard to figure out how to model :P Here is an render of it. I'll upload the model next. Feel free to use it. Does anybody have an idea of model it in a better way?

screw0.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I needed a good screw for my mechanical cave bear project a while back... I cheated though.

Instead of actually creating the spiral ridges like a real screw i just lathed a ridged shape and "slanted" the ridges slightly using scale and the constrain keys...

I figured... who's going to see it that close anyway!

As an old coworker use to say...

"Can't see it from my house."

;)

p.s. Of course... I did bevel ALL the edges of the dang screw... including the head slots where the screw driver goes... there is something wrong with me I am sure.

Vernon "!" Zehr

p.s. Of course... I did bevel ALL the edges of the dang screw... including the head slots where the screw driver goes... there is something wrong with me I am sure.

If so, I join the club:-) After I discovered the bevel method I kind of bevel everything :lol: Ahhhh, I just cant stop beveling!

• 5 weeks later...

Phillip would you be willing to share that screw model. Sadly making a screw has escaped me for the last 2 hours and I am loath to spend any more time on it knowing that you have such a great model just waiting to be used. I actually only need the head of the screw but the whole thing is just so nice.

Oh and I need the slotted one. That is why I cannot just use the Phillips Head and attempts to modify that one revealed some bad extrusions (extra layers of extruded splines that make mods a headache) so I gave up on that.

Please, please, please,

Thanks

Wade

Thanks for the link to Parlo's model. I will download it to see. I am not concerned with extreme closeups so the 5 pointers might not be a problem for me. I would still like to see yours if you still have it. I think you might just be getting to work around now :) and I have been at work now since about 3:00 your time.

For some reason my search for 'screw' and any date any forum did not turn up that link. I guess searches do not automatically look in the archive. Good for future reference.

Thanks again,

Wade

This is great...I feel like I'm at the hardware store...

What---no bolts?

Sometimes such a simple object can be quite complex to model. I toiled on a baseball and found the seams to be mathematically difficult and came up with what I thought was a genius path-based solution to placing them perfectly on the ball, and when I was done I was quite proud and posted here to the forum where it was recieved quite unceremoniously....it was, after all...just a baseball!

THANKS for sharing the models guys!