Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Merman

Zaryin

Ok, I got another new character I am working on. It's a different take on the merman. I have a simple color, gradient and Yves' Skin Shader apllied to the character.

I will be adding fins to the forearms and webbing between the fingers. I would like to ask all of you if I should add anything else? What should it be, and where?

I could also use some advise on texturing, since I am getting close to doing that.

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

chorrotate01.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to see the gills smaller because right now they almost wrap completely around the neck. (A minor thing which I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't midnight. Fish have gills and vertical tail fins. Mammals have blow-holes, breathe oxygen, and have horizontal tales. Thus, you have combined two species, and for some reason with this lack of sleep I just can't seem to suspend my disbelief far enough). B)

Are you going to add the webbing to the space between the thumb and the forefinger as well? The reason I ask is because I would suggest against it (if you're curious as to why just let me know).

Something about the fin where the lat muscle would be doesn't sit right. I think where it connects to the hips it is too far forwar. I just keep thinking about manta rays, and winged animals (bats). The wings connect more toward the spine than the torso.

Also, depending on how much you want to emote with the eyes you may want to beef the browline.

Love the frontal muscle detail. The dorsal fin is beautiful. Very elegant model, and looks like it should be in the ocean. I am a minimalist by nature so I really don't want to suggest adding; rather, I'm thinking just altar some stuff and it will bring it over the top (at least to me).

J

edit: I disagree scales will destroy the shark, ray, whale, dolphin, etc. vibe that it has which will make it less like a smooth, slick, stealthy creature--and into the typical depiction of a merman. I do however think the specular intensity/falloff should be increased/decreased to give it more of a "wet" look.

Very nice! I like it alot. I have to agree that scales would probably not look as good to me. Right now it seems sort of like a dolphin-man. Maybe you could lose the gills and add a blow hole on his head to make him even more dolphin like.

Thanks everybody for replying. I would say more, but my Project file has been corrupted and I lost everything right before I was going to save everything to seperate files. Unless someone knows how to fix corrupted project files, and I have know idea what happened, it's gone.

Just to let everyone know. I try to open the project in A:M. The very second it hits 100% loaded in, it quits to desktop.

I think I'm taking a break.

Arrgh dude! There's a trick where you open up the file in a text editor. You remove certain amount of the top lines in brackets - I'm not exactly sure which ones, I am at work and cannot look at a model file right now. Maybe someone else knows. It works maybe 50% of the time, at least a shot.

I was gonna say it looked great, and that I would like to see the webbing under the arms thinner and translucent. Hope you get the model back.

BTW - Are you saving the model out as a separate file? I've noticed that keeping my model separate from a project has really cut down on my problems. I only import models into projects when I need to do something with them.

HTH

TOm

Yeah, I usually do, but when I was about to save this one out -- well, that's when it happened. I already viewed the project file in a text editor, but don't know what's good or bad *sigh*. This has turned out to be a crappy day for me.

If anyone knows how to help me fix a project file let me know. If it works I'll give this model up for free to the Community when I'm done with it.

<_ hmmm asking for such a broad area you are likely to get lot of contrary answers like holes everybody has one i say it your merman do thing if still want input would focus on the details fin end could use some bump map and maybe smaller side fins tail tweaking swimming direction. see this picture opinion what am talking about.>

COELACANTH

P.S. a quote from the late Bruce Lee comes to mind "absorb what is useful and disregard the rest" (The TAO of Jeet Kun Do), I don't have my copy with me so I may have paraphrased so don't anybody start Kung-Fu-ing me. :)