Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

stack of cardboardboxes tipping over

agep

Im trying to make a stack of cardboardboxes to tip over when one of my characters run into it.. Do anyone have an idea how to make this? I have made a test (done in 15min) that is CRAPPY (bad movements and they overlap each other). The way I did it was that I made one cardboardbox.. The I used that in a new action and multiplyed it by using action objects.. then i started to move them around.. Is there a better way to do this???

pls help

test:

esker.mov

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arghh!!! have applyed the rigid body and used the bowlingball from the tutorial.. but the cardboardboxes just falls through the ground! cant figure it out!!! I have made sure that no patches is overlaping.. also the bowlingball falls through the ground when it hits the boxes!!! pls help..

eskerrigid.mov

I haven't played with rigid bodies yet, but I'd guess you have to define the floor surface in some way as inactive itself, but to work in the calculation for the boxes. Not sure how to do that, though, as I am speaking from ignorance. I know other apps work that way, but that don't mean AM does.

maybe that will help.... :huh:

Make sure that your boxes and ball have the normals pointing outwards. Then make sure that your objects aren't starting already penetrating the floor.

It appears that rigid bodies are working but the objects are not colliding with the floor, which makes me think that they are intersecting it at the first frame of the simulation.

Thanks for the response.. I fixed the normals (the normals on the box was pointing inwards)... then i tried simulate rigid bodies again, but that did not help... then i stacked the boxes one more time.. then it worked (at least better than the first time, still some adjustment to do).. puhh, many wasted hours of testing!!

eskerigid2.mov

This will be stupid and silly but...

Make sure the floor has enough patches... if the floor doesn't have a dense enough grid of patches the boxes sort of poke through the holes.

You can cheat and have an "invisible" floor section in the same spot as a single patch floor. I do that sometimes.

I just did a rigid body thingy with Gene's spray can vs. the fire extinguisher. The can lid gets knocked off and bounces and rolls across the floor. Video is in the wip section. After I simulated I baked the action so I could move the can.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Make sure the floor has enough patches...

that might be the answer for me:D thanks Vernon

now.. how do I make the objects stop gliding, whats the settings?? I't seems that they glides forever along the floor..

• Hash Fellow

And sometimes it's easier to animate them manually... A few keyframes per box... you're done. And the boxes are exactly where you want them.

I experimented with dynamics for this shot but I think I saved time by keyframing it.

Get down from there QT

sometimes it's easier to animate them manually

The first test was manually animated, but with so many boxes it became a bit complex..

how do I make the objects stop gliding, whats the settings?? I't seems that they glides forever along the floor..

I would suggest baking the action once you get it close. Then you can delete the key frames at the end to get it to stop moving.

There is probably a way to make it stop... I just don't recall how.

Save a file with the rigid body seperately so you can go back if needed.

Vernon "!" Zehr

• Hash Fellow
sometimes it's easier to animate them manually

The first test was manually animated, but with so many boxes it became a bit complex..

Let's see... you tried manual keyframing for all of 15 minutes, but how many hours trying to get dynamics set just right? ;)

..Let's see... you tried manual keyframing for all of 15 minutes, but how many hours trying to get dynamics set just right? ;)

Ah! But the results from rigid body simulation are ten times better (realistic) then hand animating...

Plus if you want to add some stuff change things around... if you get it working you don't have to start from scratch with hours of hand animating...

It took me all of twenty minutes to use rigid bodies on the cap getting knocked off of the can in my quick animation.

I wouldn't have even bothered doing anything with it without rigid bodies because I was in a hurry.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Ah! But the results from rigid body simulation are ten times better (realistic) then hand animating...

Ah? It doesn't look better yet.

You need to "sharpen your pencil" ;)

Took me a while to get he hang of rigid bodies but now it is pretty easy for me... I had experience with some spoons a while back.

If I had to tumble a stack of boxes... I would absolutely use rigid bodies before attempting to hand animate...

But that is just me.

Even if it wasn't perfect, I could bake the action and tweak the motion as needed.

I don't have the skills or the experience to simulate dynamic gravity effects by hand. I need the simulation.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Go to the time in the choreography where you want them to stop sliding and set the ENFORCEMENT of the rigid body contraint to 0% Then resimulate.

Try using a beveled cube for the box, that might help those boxes that still want to penetrate the floor. Adjust the MASS property of the different objects to get different interaction.

For example, the bowling ball might be really dense and the boxes empty...

Edited by zandoriastudios

Try using a beveled cube for the box, that might help those boxes that still want to penetrate the floor.

And so I did.. And that worked!!! they did not penetrate the floor! thanks :D

Go to the time in the choreography where you want them to stop sliding and set the ENFORCEMENT of the rigid body contraint to 0% Then resimulate.

When I do that they just pops back to the first position.... so I ended up with deleting keyframes like Vernon suggested

it looks good - but I feel for some reason the boxes fall too slowly for what I "imagine" is the weight & speed of the ball at impact - I would expect the "cardboard?, empty? filled?" boxes to fall more chaotically, and faster and with more sideways direction - I imagine the ball to be like a bowling ball? & the boxes appear lightweight ? - only you know how dense the items are supposed to be - so it's hard to judge (and maybe I haven't read all the posts to see if you mentioned what they are)

Is it possible to add density to a object that is in motion (that i have keyframed)? All the static object seems to interfere correctly with the boxes, but when I have a moving object (not rigid body), the object just passes through the boxes

• Hash Fellow

Well, it's getting better... but there's still weird stuff going on, like the way the bottom left box moves in after the collision.

But if you covered this up with a big Bamm-crumple-crumple sound effect you might get away with it.

Is it possible to add density to a object that is in motion (that i have keyframed)? All the static object seems to interfere correctly with the boxes, but when I have a moving object (not rigid body), the object just passes through the boxes

I was thinking about this one for a while. Not having the time to test it myself I thought this might work.

Can you make the collision object (ball) invisible and still have it affect the boxes. If so you can constrain it to your moving object (non-rigid) and it will appear to be the model that is effecting the boxes.

J

Can you make the collision object (ball) invisible and still have it affect the boxes. If so you can constrain it to your moving object (non-rigid) and it will appear to be the model that is effecting the boxes.

Almost what I have done on this new test.. I made a dummy of the bird and simulated, then I replaced it with the bird.. still some funny movements though..

falle2_Custom.mov

Guest jandals

I was just doing a test with rigid bodies with a couple cubes falling into a dish and where the geometry is in the model made a huge difference.

At first my cube model was centered on the x and z axes but spanned from 0 to 20 cm on the Y-axis. When I simulated these they just fell through my dish geometry. But if I centered the cube on all 3 axes and simulate them they bounce and rattle around like they're supposed to.

So I'm just curious about how you modeled your boxes...