• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

John,

That's very neat. Wish we could see more experimentation and documentation of material usage here in the forum.

Could you post a larger version of the original mesh.

The complex imagery you've created from just a simple mesh and materials is something that we all should have a special place for in our toolboxes.

Thanks for posting this. :)

rendertime was approximately 10 minutes 16x multipass, three shadow casting lights..a key and two in the SkyCast rig. Not quick, but livable p4 2.6ghz

Probably too complex for Kapsules...have to think about that. Probably more 'Superhero' style, which I'll get back too after 'Investigating Jack'.

Wish someone would pay me just to do shorts :D

Too bad we can't render materials like that once, then "bake" the result on as bitmap textures... that would speed things up, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure if displacement can be baked. But yeah, I'd love that feature too.

Ken:shadows, and Ididn't think you could bake any textures, although I don't mind the render time. The textures are pretty simple.

Yves /TurboKitty: Thanks :D

Dagooos: me too...although I missed the hand :D

Robcat:everything is related Displace, bump and colour. B)

Starwarsguy:minitute

I add the displacement texture first and renderlock the object while dialing displacement up and down. Ithas to be a simple texture with largish areas because the displacement divides each patch into 8x8.

I then add the colour texture which is a duplicate of the displacement, but with sub combiners in the place of black and white. This creates two materials, one for the hollows and another for the higher regions. I drop that on and the render updates.

I save the colour material and reload it to creat a matching bump, changing the colours to push areas in and out .

The only downside is the 5 pt patches which are hidden underground. Displacement is a bit of an orphan feature at the moment :( .

Here's the project file

displacemat.zip

I thought there had to be a lot of splines to make a displacement work. It doesnt look like there is a enough to make those shapes? :huh:

Awesome texture though, would make for some cool rock formations in a scene, kind looks like something from Myst or Riven.. Very Cool!

This is so cool.....I am currently designing coral backdrops for my underwater scenes and this concept works well, you have given me some ideas / options I can explore....

thanks alot for sharing john.......

Funny, when I saw the image, before I looked at the author, I thought it was something you had created, DarkLimit.

I'm going to have to play around with that now. Don't know how I'll use it in my project, but it'll be something useful to know for the future. I can just feel it.

To echo others, thanks for sharing, John.