Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Teddy Bear

chris

Well I posted in Animation:Master area because some of the problems I was having in the Choreography window on render and was asked to post some pics of my model so far. So since the pics are already posted in the forum I thought I might as well post them here as well. ;)

The mouth still needs to be added but here it is so far...

BearBody.jpg

BearHead.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the encouraging responses! :D

To respond to the leg comment that Ken made. The bear was actually modeled after a real stuffed teddy bear that my wife and I just bought for our baby that will be born in mid April. So the legs are actually almost exactly what the real teddy bears legs look like. I realise the bear doesn't look as natural standing as it does sitting, it's actually designed to be in a seated position. I will be boning and rigging him later so I can put him in a few still scenes that I will make prints of and hang in the babies room. Maybe the adventures and things the bear has done or something like that, we'll see. ;)

His render times are actually not that bad either... on my 1.6GHz PC with 1 Gig RAM is rendering in under 15min at VGA resolution. That will increase a lot when I start doing print resolution but I'm ok with that. Render time isn't a priority, but realism is, besides I have four and a half months to make these pictures look their best! ;) ... the baby better not come early. :P

I will be boning and rigging him later so I can put him in a few still scenes that I will make prints of and hang in the babies room.

Maybe the adventures and things the bear has done or something like that, we'll see.  ;)

Now that is a cool idea.

Looking forward to seeing them.

BTW, looks fantastic.

Wow, thanks Jack! Glad you like the idea. :)

Actually Ken, these renders where made in the modeling window. I am having trouble with the choreography crashing when rendering the shadow pass with the default light setup. I've had a few suggestions to try and alleviate this issue so I'll experiment next chance I get. And yes the hair does have a sheen to it of about 15% specularity with size at 80%. The bear I'm modeling it after has a similar sheen to it as well.

OK, I pulled him into the Choreography and replaced the lights with raytraced bulbs instead of the default lighting. The default lighting had been giving me problem with crashing on render-to-file. I'll submit a bug report shortly on this. I am very happy with the fur look overall, but I am getting some strange dark areas in the fur that I can't fully explain, take a look:

Bear_Chor.jpg

The lights are located over the left and right shoulders of the camera at about a 45 degree angle so should hit the fur in a way not to create any shadows. In the modelling window the fur renders much closer to what I'm looking for, could it be because the light comes from the same direction as the camera? Maybe I'll try a render in the Choreography with a light in the position that camera is in and see how that goes. Would there be a way to only have the bears fur (or just the bear) pick up the lighting from that light somehow and not effect the rest of the scene?

• 4 months later...

Hey all, it's been quite a while since I've posted any progress on this project. I have been working on it every now then when I get the opportunity. Though now that my son has arrived (Ethan Christopher Wilms - Born April 1, 2005) I suppose I will have to try and find more time to get the final renders done that I was originally planning. ;)

Somehow having a new born and finding time don't really go together very well. :P

Anyway here is a link to a short anim of the model spinning.

Teddy Spinning