Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Demo Reel Animation

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty damn good! If I were an employer, I would expect to see a humanoid in there somewhere. I really like the look of the green dino...really rubbery looking and well animated too.

So some crits....this is your big shot to impress, so squeeze as much in there as you can. It should ooze personality. I might expect some sound. Even though this is an animation reel, the texturing should be abit better....you want to knock their socks off.

Also, perhaps instead of just a showcase of the models, you might make a story with them to give it more interest. Maybe the dinosaurs are facing off each other. It doesn't have to be long...just put as much expression/character in there as possible.

Finally, you might look at demo reels done with other apps to see what you're up against. They are on other forums to see.

All of the above is just my opinion and doesn't have to be acted upon! Good luck finding a job! :)

PS...another idea....you could have a close up of a mouse in the socket of the dino skull and then zoom out to reveal what he's made his home in.

Edited by KenH

Thanks for the comments, Ken. To be sure they are all valid, and I have thought along the exact same lines as you have. The trouble is simply one of time. I have remade this demo reel on average once every two weeks. Also, it is a difficult task to come up with good ways of showcasing my work as a modeler - I want to focus attention on the models, not on textures, animation or even lighting. Which is not to say that you're wrong. I think that an interestingly staged demo reel is always superior. I will continue to remake them - As a matter of fact I am currently working on a totally different animation that features all the creatures together. Hopefully, I'll be able to start posting that stuff soon. Thanks again!

Carl

dinocarl - Great Stuff so far!!!

I have a friend who works at "ROCKSTAR GAMES" and she looks over all the demos that comes in, she mention to me that if your applying as a modeler they usaully want to see still or animated wireframes also full shade mode. So maybe you may want to include some wireframes of each model so they can see your skill, just thought I would share that with you....

• Admin

Carl,

I like your work... very impressed to hear about your demo reel schedule too.

Sure looks like I've seen some of those creatures before ;o)

Best of luck on your job hunt. :)

Now, how does that go....

Write when you find work!

You are a very good modeler! The way most of the modelers show off models are to do wireframe shots blended or fading in with the skylighted version/ or really dramatic lighting with a turn around the character a couple of times. The camera should do most of the moving to show your model off from several views. Camera pullins and pullouts to and from the models will increase the focus of the audience... take them on a journey around your character close enough to see the work you have worked hard on... your models are great... you can do the dinos walking in slomotion for instense to get a longer look at the structure you have made.

In my opinion, what I think is important, is that you get your future employer to focus on the models. Be subtle with the animation and camera moves and suggest a dramatic look at the models/ meshes and fine detail work you do. Meditate on this. How do you see them inside your mind?

it is a difficult task to come up with good ways of showcasing my work as a modeler - I want to focus attention on the models

Overall, I think that the models look pretty good but there a few areas that you should consider making some adjustments.

-In the video, the bird's claws didn't look round and full enough when it landed on the branch.

-The tops of it's wings closest to the torso would look more realistic if they were closer to the torso when the wings were folded.

-Smoothing the torso & blending the neck into it would be a plus but unnecessary if you're going to add feathers.

-Bring the legs up closer to the body during flight.

+On the plus side, I loved the bird's wing span! Excellent modeling!

-The dino's look very good but I'd experiment with the dynamics of the model to give the impression of massive weight being shifted during it's walk cycle. I know, that really doesn't have anything to do with modeling but if you're trying to land some work, dynamics is what stood out most to me.

Possible tips:

*Definately some sound would be great.

*I've always been a fan of watching a model walk in wire-shaded mode and then dissolve into shaded-mode, then finally fully textured. (All this while the camera circles the model.)

Nice work, Carl! If I may offer an odd suggestion, I would recommend that you don't animate a thing if you're making a modeling reel. Not implying that the animation is bad, 'cause it's not...some of it is quite good, actually..., but for a modeling reel, the people watching it generally don't care to see it animated. In fact, animating the models may actually be a distraction. Reviewers want to see the detail of how the model is built, and it's tough to focus on specific areas when it's moving around a lot.

Some of the other suggestions already made are quite valid. Definitely show wireframes, and show more texture...sometimes a modeler is also called upon to texture their creations, so a progression from wireframe to shaded to textured is quite appropriate.

Another tip re: the typical "turntable" shots. Instead of having the camera move around the model (i.e. your dino head), rotate the model and leave all else static. The problem with a moving camera is that by the time you get to the rear view of the model, the lighting is such that the detail can't be seen. By treating it more like a true turntable, where the model is on a rotating surface and the lighting and camera remain static, the full detail of the object can be more clearly presented.

Keep at it! :D

Thank you all for the very helpful tips! It seems that the wireframe views do make a great deal of sense in terms of landing modeling work! Justin, DarkLimit, entity and nerrazzi, I will definitely start redoing some of the animations using your suggestions. I didn't want to avoid doing animations (even though it's not my strong suit) because I wanted to emphasize that my models were animatable and that my characters weren't just nice to look at (if they're even that). But these have all be helpful suggestions, and I hope to have some new stuff to show soon!

Carl

I didn't want to avoid doing animations (even though it's not my strong suit) because I wanted to emphasize that my models were animatable and that my characters weren't just nice to look at (if they're even that).

One way to accomplish that, then, is to include turntable shots for any models you animate in addition to an animated sample shot. If the only view of a model is an animated view, it makes it difficult to study the shape and form, which is easier in a turntable. By showing both, viewers can look at how you handle form and also know how the model performs for animation.

Thanks for all the feedback and well-wishes! I will move this thread over to the WIP section just as soon as the first revamped animation rolls out of my computer.

Man, these full body texture maps are no picnic!

Carl