Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

VeggieTrials

I've recently banged out a parody of BigIdea's popular Christian-themed VeggieTales videos, for a local sketch comedy show. I'm a little hesitant to post the link, however, for fear of offending other users. Psychologically, it's very wrong, though there's certainly nothing graphic about it. It deals with the recent church sex scandles here in Boston. Thoughts?

Regards-

-M@

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Christian, I would only be offended if it ridiculed the Lord. Too many people slander God because of people's actions.

People who do awful things are fair game, in my book. But then again, anyone casting the first stone would be a hypocrite.

My thoughts,

Jim

• Hash Fellow

Sounds iffy to me. How about an "under the counter" arrangement... you make a post with a warning of the nature of the parody and offer to send the link to anyone who e-mails you for it?

That way the truly offended won't accidentally watch it, the eager-to-be-offended-and-dying-to-tell-you-about-it can't say they weren't completely warned, and the offended-that-someone's-offended won't have new fodder for a flame war.

Congratulations none-the-less on the professional success of having the piece aired.

All right, sounds like a "proceed with caution" situation. We'll go with it that way:

ATTENTION: THE FOLLOWING FILM DEALS WITH SEXUAL ABUSE COMMITTED BY CLERGY MEMBERS. WHILE NOT VISUALLY EXPLICIT, IT MAY BE CONSIDERED OFFENSIVE TO SOME VIEWERS. VIEWER DISCRETION IS THUS ADVISED.

This took about two or three days, plus a few evenings designing the eye rig beforehand. It is intended as a parody of BigIdea's VeggieTales DTV series. I think you'll catch that, though.

http://www.spacetoast.net/Gallery/Scrapbook/VeggieTrials.mov

Watch your backs-

-M@

I don't find it offensive. It's kind of a documentary with humour. You have to laugh at the mess certain "good individuals" have landed the church in. At the same time I wouldn't want any of the victims to see this.

The slap took me by surprise and made me LOL. Well executed.

Okay, now onto the work.

I like the set. Though I think the lighting could use a bit of improvement. For instance, I can't see the clergyman very well.

Also, I think Dewey looks at the camera too long. I think having him stare ahead is a good idea but not right into the camera (in my opinion). Perhaps if there were some nervous eye movements?

I think its well done.

Doug

The lighting gave me some trouble, although under standard Mac gamma, and the NTSC gammas I've played it under, father O'Gratin appears fine. No, for some reason that I didn't have time enough on this project to fix, the shadows were drawing incorrectly, if at all. I'm guessing this is a bug with boolean cutters (Jimmy's mouth) in 10.5o/11A8. I ended up just rendering without shadows. I actually tried dropping negative lights under the characters, too, just for a little rough darkening, but still no luck. Two things I should look into a little further, when I get a chance. There was also an issue with the boolean cutters not subtracting at all in some frames, but in retrospect I should have inspected the normals on them.

When you finish an animation, it's hard to do anything but complain. Still, I think the comedy worked, so I'll call it good. And since a guy who actually WORKED on VeggieTales doesn't want to hurt me, I'll be all the happier.

Oh, and if anyone's wondering what's on the stained glass window behind them, three words: Best. Picture. Ever.

Cheers-

-M@