Hash, Inc. Forums

Draw aperfect circle ,that I can add text to

mulls

I hate to admit. It has been a while since I have used AM ,although I have been here since version 8.5. I would like to make a perfect circle3d if possible and add text around the interior rim circularly  and if possible make it spin. Hope all is well in the Am Community, Martin and Family,Jason, Robcat, Fuchur, Rodney,Yoda64,Will Sutton,JohnL3D, Nancy the list is endless all of you have have helped me so much in the past. God Bless All in the AM Community. Happy and Blessed Easter To All !!! may you and yours be safe and well, Steve (mulls on the forum)  i stlll remember the "Hash Bash" Great time and memory

(0

Hi mulls,

thank you very much for the kind words and Happy Eastern to you and your family too :).

A perfect circle is pretty easy: Use the lath tool with a straight two point spline, afterwards delete everything but one spline ring and turn it by 90 degrees. (I would recommend to use a lath subdivision of more than 4 to get a "perfect" circle. (click on the lath-tool button while pressing "CTRL")

Or you can use the Primitive Wizard for it. Both should bring you pretty close to the perfect circle.

The text part is more troublesome... I am not sure if that is possible easily in A:M. My workaround before was to create something like that in Illustrator first and then use the AI import wizard to make it into 3d text.

You could do it manually of cause or use a Distortion Box, but that is a little bit of work of cause.

Best regards
*Fuchur*

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay guys, thee experts are at it again. The best way  I can describe it is to use a few excellent examples, If you can picture the text around the inside of this oval frame , may even be more attractive than a circle.  Flip the oval 90 degrees to the right, then picture if you can "Tremendous Tulips" on the top interior of the oval "Flowers For All Occasions " on the Bottom interior of the oval. It is for my brothers  trademark. There are certain size limitations, I am not concerned about the spinning. If I can just get the text inside a fabricated oval, maybe even add a tulip in the the middle(absolutely not necessary). I can shrink the the image to satisfy the Trademark Dept. I just like the 3rd dimension to give it a little depth. Eventually he would like to print the same image on his business cards. Again,Yoda64, Fuchur, Robcat, Rodney, Nancy, Will Sutton, Jason, Martin Hash and Family the list is endless. I hope with all my heart the you all stay healthy and well. If it all fell to pieces tomorrow, I will never forget your kindness and willing to give  unselfishly of your time. It is incredibly generous, my hat is off to you all, Steve (mulls  on the forum)

Hi Rob, Thank You for your reply. Yes something like the example  you posted above would work perfectly. If I extrude  a circle  (as above) or oval, is there a particular tool, plug in or process I can use to have the text follow the inner circumference as you have have shown above?, I hope circumference is right, geometry was very a hard class for me,  between that and Spanish  I ended up in Wood Shop, Thank You again . Any advice or suggestions  are sincerely appreciated. The best of health to all out there, Steve (mulls on the forum)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I'm a bit late to the party.

It's great to see you @mulls!

If it is an option I've found that leveraging patch images and then manipulating the splines to influence the shape of the image works quite well.

Then the 'text' can be created either inside A:M or another program and then the splines... dangling splines often working best... can be manipulated to gain whatever curvature is needed... to include curvature created via lathing (as Fuchur describes).  The image/text can then be updated easily to change font, style, color, etc. without concern for adjusting the path.

This approach wouldn't work well if the text is needed as geometry... for that an approach such as Robert has mentioned would likely work best.

image.png

TextOnPath.gif

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...