sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

10 Terabyte hard disk

Roger

• *A:M User*

Was looking for latest hard drive prices today as I need a bigger hard disk for my desktop, and found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178998&cm_re=10tb_hard_drive-_-22-178-998-_-Product

I can remember a time when a single 1 terabyte array would have cost about $500,000 US. This drive is roughly 1000 times cheaper.

We can't be too terribly far off from having 100 terabyte drives, and with an array of 10 of those you could easily have 1 petabyte of storage in a home server. My mind just boggles, I don't even know what you'd do with that. I don't imagine you could begin to mirror the internet, maybe just mirror archive.org, the Library of Congress and Wikipedia?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100T would be a different technology... till now that is very far off for only one drive, but we will see ;).

I have a home server with 3TB of space and even that is not full or close to yet...

Oh and if you are wondering how large the internet is... it's just an estimation of cause, but:

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/how-many-terabytes-data-are-internet

See you

*Fuchur*

a full raid rack for a home network would be better. Having a 10tb drive means potentially losing 10tb of data with one failure. Can't imagine trying to backup 10tb in a timely manner either. A rack with say 5 1 tb drives with hotswap capabilities would make me sleep better at night.

I had the misfortune ( due to fatigue and stupidity ) to lose 600+ Gb of files on my backup drive earlier in the summer. I got some restoration software and set it loose on the drive.Three weeks later it was stillonly up to 18% scanning for deleted files. I was thinking about starting again when the matter was taken out of my hands with a powercut.

I was so very happy about that.

decided to grimace and bare it and try not to be so dumb next time...

regards

simon