sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Not sure if I feel better or worse about turning 40 now

Roger

• *A:M User*

Stumbled across this on the web today. Apparently this is from an early 60s Montgomery Ward catalog.

I'm a little bummed out about turning 40 this coming fall (I realize it is better than the alternative). I guess this makes me feel better?

I think someone once said (paraphrasing heavily as I don't remember the exact quote)

"old is about 25 years older than whatever your current age is".

35wtf.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

That was probably back when everyone smoked and they really were gray and wheezing at 35. :D

But on being made to feel old... I remember the registration card that came with my first A:M purchase had age categories on it and the last one was "35 and over"

• Hash Fellow

I like the ad copy... "After 35, when eating habits may be restricted, it's the easy way to supplement the diet."

I wonder what "eating habits may be restricted" was supposed to mean?

And do you suppose the "regular" version is there just to make the "fortified" version look more powerful?

you need the t shirt I got when I turned 40 it read

So

Happy

I

Turned

I'll be 66 in June

Yeah, that's exactly about how I feel about it, too. I don't too terribly different than I felt at 30. Maybe a little wiser, hopefully.

I like the ad copy... "After 35, when eating habits may be restricted, it's the easy way to supplement the diet."

And do you suppose the "regular" version is there just to make the "fortified" version look more powerful?

Maybe it means you're not supposed to eat red meat, so it is to supplement your iron intake?

• Hash Fellow

Maybe it means you're not supposed to eat red meat, so it is to supplement your iron intake?

Maybe, although I don't think anyone was into no-red-meat back in the 60's. Back then that was one of the "four food groups" you had to eat.

To me it sounds like an intentionally vague phrase designed to make you think maybe there's some purpose to this pill.

Or maybe they're wanting to discreetly refer to people trying to lose weight without actually saying the word "weight." I like looking at old ads like that because they have crazy stuff in them that would never pass today. :o

Well, anyway, don't worry that you're missing out on pills. It's turning out that supplements have no useful effect and some are harmful.

The Top Six Vitamins You Should Not Take

I think they'd identified health problems with fatty foods and salt back then, which would account for a restricted diet.

...but of course, they completely ignored the health problems associated with smoking. :-)

When young ( a looooooonnnnggggg time ago ), I used to say you knew you were getting old when your age exceeded your waist line in inches.

Now I'm trying not to catch up with the age around the middle !

regards

simon

I'd be happy to get back to a 34 or 36 inch waist. I don't see that happening easily though. I'll settle for maintaining where I'm at.

• Hash Fellow
I think they'd identified health problems with fatty foods and salt back then, which would account for a restricted diet.

I remember my dad only drinking skim milk back then so i guess lo-fat was already in the air although I never figured out who got him on that, it was just like something that always was.

Irony... now he insists on 1% milk because "you need the fat to get the vitamins."

I think that it isn't so much fat that's bad for you as it is sugar and carbs. When I was really watching my carb intake it was a lot easier for me to keep the weight off. Unfortunately it is hard to stay away from carbs forever.