Roger

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

I hadn't though about it for a while, my Win7 is set to basic graphics all the time.

In v17 there's an Options>Global switch that prevents A:M from turning on basic graphics, but it's needed for some of the interface to display properly.

Don't disable AERO at Start up (Warning: Display errors may occur)

That switch is gone in V18. Somewhere around here there's a discussion of why that is. Look for "AERO"

My recollection is that A:M still needs to run with basic graphics, but I'm not sure what the current details are... since I'm always in basic mode anyway.

• Hash Fellow

Look around for some previous discussion of this possibly with contributions by steffen (yoda64)

It may be a non-issue with Windows 8 since that doesn't have Aero anymore, AFAIK.

Look around for some previous discussion of this possibly with contributions by steffen (yoda64)

It may be a non-issue with Windows 8 since that doesn't have Aero anymore, AFAIK.

i think with opengl3 the need of basic displaysetting is no longer given. opengl3 should be able to run it. but i would recommend using basic in any case... it just takes less system resources...

see u

*fuchur*

• 2 weeks later...

I have tested in all win7 display modes with no difference in the sad outcome: Totally garbaged display and eventually crash and complette freeze of the computer requiring total power down.

Garbaged display is all over, crash happens promptly when going to skeletal mode in chor view.

That unfortunately renders A:M above 18 b completely unusable for me... :-(

Steffen, please, please, please fix our beloved but broken A:M!!

• Admin

Tore,

I've never used Win 7 (skipped it and waited to Win 8/8.1*) but am curious about where you are adjusting your compatibility settings.

I assume this is via the A:M icon's Properties?

In the past when I've had display issues they have almost always been resolved via upgrading a driver.

That and upgrading a computer and operating system which automatically updated my drivers.

Apparently my current system is running Intel HD graphics.

*Hearing that 8.1 was pending was the breaking point that compelled me to upgrade because I felt strongly that it would resolve some of the reported issues of v8.

I doubt I would have upgraded to v8 unless absolutely necessary.

Rodney,

I have tried everything to avoid that this is an error due to my configuration (changing compatability settings, renewing and reinstalling graphic drivers (nVidia) - even backgrading graphic driver) with no luck.

This fatal error was introduced together with the bones stick mode setting, and I am still somewhat suspicious that there is something wrong in that area of the programming.

I have also testet out other 3D software to make sure that my graphics card isn't broken, but both Blender, Cinema 4D, Maya, Messiah Studio, ZBrush and 3D Coat (and of course Animation Master 18b) runs fast and smothly and without a single glitch on my machine. This HAS to be a programming error in A:M introduced after vers. 18B.

I just so hope it will be possible to find and repair it!!

For compairing, here the same scene as it looks in 18B:

• Admin

The various upgrades of hardware and software often do work together to fix issues as much as they conspire to break them.

Getting the problem on the radar is important.

Then as others confirm similar problems it can then be more fully identified and corrected.

Perhaps the best way of confirming is to find someone else with the same (or at least similar) hardware and software configuration.

As proof of my interest in this arena, for my last computer purchase (for my wife and daughter) I bought two laptops that are exactly the same (except color).

There is additional method to this madness in that if any part fails... say even a battery... the other may benefit.

But... I assume this isn't a showstopper in your case because v18b can still be fired up and doesn't have those issues?

This maintains a lifeline so that your current production can progress.

For compairing, here the same scene as it looks in 18B:

Not that it should make much of a difference but I note that those views you posted are not the same (hence a technically faulty comparison).

The first two (bad stuff) are from Birdseye view and last (good stuff) from the camera.

Also, the first two are displaying bones while the third isn't.

And forgive me! I cannot resist adding:

Be careful as this is a classic response from someone experiencing user error (or that has not updated their drivers correctly as suggested):

I have tried everything
;)

When I read such I focus on what the user can do (or has neglected) to resolve the problem themselves.

• Hash Fellow
This HAS to be a programming error in A:M introduced after vers. 18B.

I think that's a fair conclusion. The mystery is why it affects your computer and not other people with similar equipment. What is the particular thing that is different? :blink:

I still think getting a cheap AMD card and slapping it in there would be a worthwhile experiment.

"The mystery is why it affects your computer and not other people with similar equipment. What is the particular thing that is different?"

Well, Robert, it really is strange, but as I have understood it there IS other people with nVidia/windows combination having same problems - yourself for one...or did your crashes/freezes go away??

I guess there are others too? And the same problems but with Mac/nVidia combination has been mentioned too.

"I still think getting a cheap AMD card and slapping it in there would be a worthwhile experiment."

You're propably right that this is a nVidia/A:M specific problem, but I am not all that keen on the AMD cards (had one very troublesome experience with AMD some years ago), so even if it did solve THIS problem, I am afraid that it would open up for a host other problems with other software I am using, and I am not up to too many such experiments while having four projects currently in the works.

I guess I have to wait for Steffen to hopefully take a second look on this, when he returns.

This fatal error was introduced together with the bones stick mode setting, and I am still somewhat suspicious that there is something wrong in that area of the programming.

I have the same suspicions.

I have not been using the NEW "stick mode" display of bones, but am using the traditional drawing mode of bones, and I am experiencing display funnies. (win 7 pro 16GB, nvidia gtx 650ti, 1gb, driver 9.18.13.3182)

See my example of the different display imagery in ver 18a versus 18f in skeletal mode in chor, view from front, using translate mode handler. When you translate the bone, the ghost handlers will move in opposite direction of the bone (in this case in y and z, as it depends on bone orientation)

Do you experience YOUR same weird display problems if you don't use stick mode? For me, I don't trust the display in 18f but I'm not sure it has any other impact, other than being annoying and confusing?

funnyhandlers18aversus18f.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

Let me chime in here:

I've been having consistent problems since v17. I've noticed that if i open a model with a decal, once I go into shaded mode A:M crashes. Since I am an older win7 laptop (going on 5 years old) I attributed my problems to a hardware issue I simply stayed on v16 which works like a champ.

Here's a post where I first related my issues.... Display Issue

"Do you experience YOUR same weird display problems if you don't use stick mode? For me, I don't trust the display in 18f but I'm not sure it has any other impact, other than being annoying and confusing?"

Yes, Nancy, unfortunately I do. Even when not being in skeletal mode, a lot of weird stuff happens. And the more the display is manipulated (rotated, moved, zoomed) the closer the computer comes to the edge that it finally falls over and totally freezes. But the almost SURE way to cause a crash is to push the stick mode button.

As mentioned before, the behaviour goes for both 32 and 64bit versions.

And this propably also answers the second part of your question: as A:M > b crashes my computer so bad that I even cannot restart it (have to pull the plug) within the first 30 seconds (often almost instantly) or so of operation, I simply can not use the new versions of Animation Master any more. :-/

• Admin
Let me chime in here:

I've been having consistent problems since v17.

Paul,

Are you on Win 7 as well.

I only ask because I don't see that mentioned in the other topic.

If that is the common factor with everyone that is currently having these issues that would be good to know.

Edit: Disregard... asked and answered:

Since I am an older win7 laptop (going on 5 years old)

Win 7 does appear to be a common factor.

Hate to jump in and 'me too'... Steffen must HATE this stuff. I recently started a big 6 TV spot campaign in V18.0 (E then F) and had to revert back to 17.0G Graphics display problems and crashes... Win7... Nvidea Quadro4000 with up to date drivers... crashes happen under Open GL or OpenGL3.

• Hash Fellow
You're propably right that this is a nVidia/A:M specific problem, but I am not all that keen on the AMD cards (had one very troublesome experience with AMD some years ago), so even if it did solve THIS problem, I am afraid that it would open up for a host other problems with other software I am using, and I am not up to too many such experiments while having four projects currently in the works.

Or... it's possible the problem would be solved without side effects.

AMD makes fine cards that are widely used by many people. I think it's unlikely that AMD would be a general problem with other software. I think it is more likely this is a specific NVidia-with-A:M problem that you are having.

If you ever do break down and try it, make a snapshot of your system before you put the AMD card in, just so it is simple to revert back to your Nvidia state.

Denmark is right next to Germany... maybe if you dropped by Steffen's place one day he'd be able to diagnose the situation. Say you just happened to be in the neighborhood hunting butterflies.

Or... it's possible the problem would be solved without side effects.

AMD makes fine cards that are widely used by many people. I think it's unlikely that AMD would be a general problem with other software. I think it is more likely this is a specific NVidia-with-A:M problem that you are having.

If you ever do break down and try it, make a snapshot of your system before you put the AMD card in, just so it is simple to revert back to your Nvidia state.

Denmark is right next to Germany... maybe if you dropped by Steffen's place one day he'd be able to diagnose the situation. Say you just happened to be in the neighborhood hunting butterflies.

;) Steffen is a little far from him, if you ask me ;) But all I can say is: AMD cards are great. If you are not using Linux (which you are not since you are using A:M) it should work very well...

I have exclusivly used AMD cards for many years now, bought different GPUs and APUs from AMD and never had any problems.

My last nvidia card (a geforce 4 ti) was okay too, but I never regraded using my newer cards like my HD4850 I am using now.

Anyway: If you want to, it may be an option to use something like teamviewer to see which problems are happening there... but this is something Steffen needs to talk to you about...

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: If you want to use an AMD card, you need to remove the Nvidia drivers before installing it (the same the other way round...) that is essentially and not only done by uninstalling it simply... there are eraser programms for both manufactures, which will help there...

Just tried to run A:M from a squicky new profile, to check if some of my settings should be the culprit. But as can be seen here, I just had to resize the window in the freshly started A:M for it to look like this and then crash...:-(

Guess I'll start warming the coffee for Steffen!! :-)

• Hash Fellow
Just tried to run A:M from a squicky new profile, to check if some of my settings should be the culprit. But as can be seen here, I just had to resize the window in the freshly started A:M for it to look like this and then crash...:-(

Guess I'll start warming the coffee for Steffen!! :-)

That looks like "video feedback" ... that was cool in the 70's B)

You've also tried the 32-bit version with your new settings and both OpenGl choices I presume.

I have noticed that on installation A:M ad a further and older version of Microsoft Visual C ++, and it suddenly struck me if this could add to a inconsistency with the nVidia drivers, causing some jam up…

The Visual C version on my computer is 11.0.51106 from 2012, and after reinstalling A:M an additional version 10.0.40219 from 2010 appears on the progrtam list.

Well, as an absolute non-programmer I propably shouldn’t delve on such things, but couldn’t help it!