Hash, Inc. Forums

Sci Fi image contest WIP

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

I've spent more time resplining this ear than it merits but it's like chasing a blob of mercury. I think I can eliminate a 5-pointer by rerouting a spline and then i find I've got a new 5-pointer problem somewhere else. :rolleyes:

here's a cross-eye 3D

ear3D.JPG

here's a cross-eye 3D

Yikes I see 3 ears! never converges to 1 - that's VERY disturbing to an old person.

Terrific modeling!

You might check out Malo's method of modeling, for the future, where you never have to worry about figuring out how to join parts together, nor problems with 5 pointers.

It's a bit unsettling to change over to this technique, as things tend to look messy in the initial laying down of minimal splines, and one wonders how on earth it will ever look like it should.

• Hash Fellow
here's a cross-eye 3D

Yikes I see 3 ears! never converges to 1 -

That's how it will look, there's one 3D image in the center with an image flanking it on each side.

that's VERY disturbing to an old person.

Shoulda started at 11 like me.

You might check out Malo's method of modeling, for the future, where you never have to worry about figuring out how to join parts together, nor problems with 5 pointers.

It's interesting but it seems a bit too generic when there are specific features I want to shape.

• Hash Fellow

CFA'd

I'm afraid this isn't turning out to be as much of a likeness as I aimed for, but still need to do the hair.

I've been following some rotoscopes but, of course, photographs are never perfectly oriented for that and judging the shape of the skull under his big hair is just guesswork.

look.JPG

Nice model Robert... but I noticed that proportion of the forehead is short compared to the rest of the head ( this is a common mistake )

The eye position divides the head in the middle.

I would model with this proportion:

look%20(1).JPG

• Hash Fellow

Yes, it does look a bit small. I think part of it is that I modeled the head tilted slightly back. When i tilt the model forward so the face is more perpendicular to the camera it's closer to the 50/50 rule.

forward.JPG

And i also think that in the rotoscope I'm following he's got his jaw lowered. I think you have to have jaw closed all the way for 50/50 to work on a bald head.

The eyelid/eyebrow structure always baffled me for a long time and I'm still pondering the best strategy for it.

eyelid.PNG

Ha! That's the reason I'm still on armored Spaceknights--to avoid tackling the more realistic human form :)

Oh, well--gotta start sometime, I guess.

Rich

• Hash Fellow

Back to work.

Hmmm...I thought I could reuse my hair material from my Al Capone model and change the color but no matter what the color is set to it renders as black.

hair.PNG

Back to work.

Hmmm...I thought I could reuse my hair material from my Al Capone model and change the color but no matter what the color is set to it renders as black.

If you haven't figured out by now:

What version A:M (not all versions act the same) and what are your hair material settings, and group surface settings? Screen rendering does not always look the same as final render for hair, but sometimes it does. It depends on hair material properties. Voodoo.

upload sample model & hair material and I can take a look.

• Hash Fellow

Here it is extracted from the model. This scalp has a density map so it will only make hair to the left of an imaginary "part".

If you have time to look at it that would be great, Nancy.

As far as I can see the hair surface color is set to white but it renders as black even in render to file.

HairTest.zip

What is the intended purpose of brightness? It seems to be somewhat different than ambient intensity on a regular surface.

I believe brightness is a legacy feature perhaps? perhaps related to using the BOW feature - which I am just now noticing is gone??? in 18a 64, but was there in 16b32 -UGH - I use that.

Brightness has been there since the dawn of time, when hair emitters could not have their own surface properties, and when hair automatically and only took on the properties of the group surface to which they lived. It was available in pre-muhair days and perhaps it was a way to make things look shiny or dull independant of the group surface properties?

I always leave it at 100% and let the surface properties of the emitter (and as well as the decal drivers) determine what the hair should look like.

Muhair is a whole other ball of waxy fur with brightness issues.

EDIT: I take it back: Bow is still there when I start a new hair material in 18a64 (not sure about 17g, etc), it is not showing up in the hair material (emitter properties) when I bring in old projects created in 16b32 (or earlier?).

Edited by NancyGormezano

If you use muhair or kajiya-kay shader, you lose bow and face camera.

The hair I am trying to import from a 16b project is not muhair or kajiya. The properties look different in the property panel in vers 16b/32 (bow shows =75%) versus 18a/64 (bow isn't available). But I believe the hair looks the same when rendered.

I am working on resolving some other file linking issues from going to new computer, so when I am sure that the problem isn't because of the linking, I'll post example, and probably amreport.