Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Committing the Declaration of Independence to memory

Gerry

This may be the furthest off-topic topic in the history of off-topic topics, but here goes...

When I was little, growing up in a family of ten, there was a running joke around the 4th of July where my dad would challenge us to memorize the Declaration of Independence. If we succeeded, he would give us a dime, which was part of the joke I *think*.

Of course we never did, we were little, and the document is big! But I would think about it over the years, and in my twenties I did memorize the first two paragraphs, but I never got further than that.

I think of it every year, of course right around the 4th, but by then it's too late for that year, and who wants to start a year-long project when you're already of the mindset that it's too late?

Well this year is perhaps the first year when I thought of it in good time. So I'm going to spend the next 2+ months committing this document to memory, and make a YouTube video of my recitation to be released maybe the week before the 4th.

I thought of doing a goofy Kickstarter, where I need to raise fifty bucks for coffee or something silly like that, but that seems like extra trouble. Maybe I just announce it on FB, put upweekly updates on YouTube, with each segment complete, then roll out the final version for the 4th.

So this is my kind-of official announcement for this project, and I'm also looking for ways to promote this as a project for its own sake, no gain to me of any kind, just something to do for my dad if for nothing else.

Any ideas? Or should I just go and do it?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very patriotic, and your Dad will be tickled beyond words. Put it on Vimeo and let people give you a dime. (They have a tip jar!) You will need to prove you are not being teleprompted...

Well. my dad's long gone, but I do believe he'll be tickled! Maybe I'll recite it blindfolded.

Blind-folded is a great idea. How much is a a train ride to Philadelphia? It would be awesome to film yourself doing it in front of the Liberty Bell or one of the historical landmarks. That could be your KS. And whatever food they claim improves your memory.

Mark, that's actually a pretty good idea! the only thing that stops me from doing a KS is the rewards part. That's the "extra trouble" thing I was grousing about.

EDIT: David, thanks for the link but actually my memory has always been pretty good. I've just let those muscles get lazy over the years. the trick with the Declaration is that it's just a long list, I'll need some kind of mnemonic devices to work that out.

My other pitfall to deal with is getting through the last paragraph without tearing up. It's some powerful sentiments, these guys were putting their lives on the line.

the only thing that stops me from doing a KS is the rewards part. That's the "extra trouble" thing I was grousing about.

For something that small, it's more of a gimmick than anything else. I'm sure you could get away with emailed rewards... A printable version of The Declaration of Independence, some kind of printable button or banner. You could make a whole spectacle of it and show up dressed in an Uncle Sam outfit and get people behind you! I'm viewing this through my own reality-distortion field, but I could see the press getting behind you and people in Philly showing up to watch you do it. Kinda' like Evel Kneivel doing a jump. Will he make it through it or not?

Throw in the story about your dad and insist that people only donate a dime each and it could really be one of those crazy happenings that the internet suddenly gets behind. I could even see it as a great movie.

But then again, I always imagine things being terrifically successful even though they never are. :-)

Carl Levin from Michigan senate, is the only person I know who can memorize the constitution. He is also the most Vulcan like minded senator. Rarely smile and almost always dead on serious. Penchant to be factually correct like a librarian's mind!

Maybe you could run for office after you memorize the constitution? People will listen to you if you could do this!