sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Ghosting hd

steve392

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

itsjustme is completely on target with this. BOTH of those are good, but I would say that Macrium Reflect is the easiest to use. (Much less technical and works from within windows).

As to backing up just certain directories, I use SyncbackFree to sync up two drives that are not in a RAID configuration on my system.

Hope that helps!

Steve

I'm not sure what you mean by Ghosting but, if you mean accessing the HD to backup files ? I've used Knoppix in the past.

Its a version of Linux that you burn onto a CD and is self booting. It opens the OS and from there you can burn the files onto a CD or DVD. My last PC ate three HD's and I had to use Knoppix to back the files up when XP would no longer access the drive. Its free, you DL it and burn to the disc of choice.

regards

Simon

Thanks Simmon ,I want one that backs the os up aswell,so I can just switch drives and away I go again

I might just get a new pc as this ones a bit old now I supose

Steve

I think you could just copy the drive verbatim under Knoppix, depending on its size of course, by using an external hard drive or a memory stick ?

The PC I mentioned had a 15gb HD. Going around the supermarket yesterday, I noticed they were selling 16gb memory sticks, felt a bit of an old fogey !

simon

• *A:M User*

The only one I know of that I have used other than Ghost is Acronis. It is cheaper than Ghost, you can sometimes find it on sale. I think it regularly goes for $50.

There are free alternatives that others have mentioned, here is a link that has some of them:

http://www.snapfiles.com/downloadfind.php?...t=drive+imaging

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with using the free imaging software so I can't recommend a specific one.

Hope that helps.