sprockets Learn to create your own tool bars! Behind The Scenes: A:M and Animatronics Jeff Cantin's Classic Splining Tutorial Strange Effect, video demo and PRJ included John blows up a planet, PRJs included VWs by Stian, Rodger and Marcos Myron's band gets its own wine!
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

My $99 iPad

Gerry

As you may know, Apple has a policy for when an iPad battery runs down. since the units are too tightly sealed to open up and replace the battery they just give you a whole new iPad for $99.

Pretty sweet!

Except when I went to the local Apple Store, after researching this for days, I was told at the store that to get a replacement would be $249. I tried to explain but the salesboy insisted, so I left, heartbroken and confused. I continued to do online research and COULD NOT find any exception to the $99 price, so I printed out the Apple website page with the info and returned to the Apple Store.

Again I was told, by an Apple Jeenyus, that the service was $249. I asked him to show me the $249 price anywhere on a publicly available website, and he said he could show it to me on their store system, but he didn't know where it could be seen on a public website.

I showed him what I'd printed and he said, well you could have printed that out from anywhere. So I went to the Apple site and showed him the freakin page. He said he'd never seen that before and went to find a manager.

He returned with a genuinely shocked look on his face.

Apparently I was absolutely correct, and he said that they'd been charging $249 for this service and I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO EVEN QUESTION IT. He was really upset, saying that he's a customer too and he wouldn't want to be overcharged like that.

I said, "Any day I can explain something to an Apple Genius about Apple products is a good day".

The final question was to run a diagnostic on my iPad because the rule is, only if the battery is below 50% capacity do you get a new unit. My battery was still well above 50%, but he said don't worry about it, here's your new iPad.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

$99 is still quite a hefty price for what should essentially be a new battery. Especially if aside from the battery there's nothing essentially wrong with your current Ipad. You already paid around $500 for the thing in the first place.

That just goese to show you gotta persivere with these things .I personlly think thays half the reason some stores go out of buisness is because the staff just don's know what there talking about in the uk we had a photographic store called Jessops and the staff was about as un-helpfull as could be now there gone

• *A:M User*
Apparently I was absolutely correct, and he said that they'd been charging $249 for this service and I WAS THE FIRST ONE TO EVEN QUESTION IT. He was really upset, saying that he's a customer too and he wouldn't want to be overcharged like that.

Wow - that is just amazing.

$99 is still quite a hefty price for what should essentially be a new battery. Especially if aside from the battery there's nothing essentially wrong with your current Ipad. You already paid around $500 for the thing in the first place.

Yeah, well that's the system they set up. Not perfect by any means, and I did think I'd have some sentimental attachment to my "original" iPad, but the dang things are completely identical to each other. Apparently they refurbish the ones turned in and sell them *again*!

Yeah, well that's the system they set up. Not perfect by any means, and I did think I'd have some sentimental attachment to my "original" iPad, but the dang things are completely identical to each other. Apparently they refurbish the ones turned in and sell them *again*!

Lol I wouldn't doubt it Gerry, reminds me of this.

A much better system than having to ship it off somewhere and be without your iPad until it returns.

I've seen instructions online for changing the battery in an iPad ...and it looks worth it to pay to have it done. :-)

Not to mention I saw a Gizmodo story where the trade-in model was nicked and scratched, so the refurbished model was like getting it returned to how it was when he got it.

I've had good luck with my batteries in my ios devices. My first iPhone's battery lasted as long as I had it (4 1/2 years).