Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exploring the Decal View (UV Editor)

ludo_si

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it possible to say wat are the improvement of the uv editor?

And how to use it?

The biggest one is, that you can use the shift-key to add CPs to the selection you already made now. (really annoying that that could not be done before)

Another one is, that you can now use the Shift- & CTRL-button (not sure which one) and cut selections of patches in the UV-editor (before you had to do that in an action window...)

The changes sound small, but they really can help alot!

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin

It's rather sobering to realize that there are many aspects of the Decal Editor have been around since circa v11 but never fully utilized. As Fuchur has mentioned the use of the Ctrl Key to separate patches is amazingly useful and yet not commonly used as of yet. I believe v17's improvements will change that.

Note that I tend to refer to the 'UV Editor' as the 'Decal Editor' because frankly I find it unnecessary to initially burden users with learning concepts of UV editing when it is more straightforward to simply Right Click, Select Edit on a Decal Image and modify the placement of any Decal Image.

Frankly, even the programmers of some features do not know the full extent of what is capable so one thing that will always help is to better understand what you currently know about a given feature; in this case, the Decal Editor. Similarly, those who use the Decal Editor likely do not know all of the innovate ways in which to use the editor. I encourage everyone with an interest or experience to post a little of what they know here so that all may benefit. In order to meet and exceed all expectations it is important to inventory what we know already. For instance, has everyone already gone through the tutorials that cover the Decal Editor?

For those willing to explore... prepare to Right Click and we'll explore the Decal Editor in depth right here. :)

It's rather sobering to realize that there are many aspects of the Decal Editor have been around since circa v11 but never fully utilized. As Fuchur has mentioned the use of the Ctrl Key to separate patches is amazingly useful and yet not commonly used as of yet. I believe v17's improvements will change that.

Note that I tend to refer to the 'UV Editor' as the 'Decal Editor' because frankly I find it unnecessary to initially burden users with learning concepts of UV editing when it is more straightforward to simply Right Click, Select Edit on a Decal Image and modify the placement of any Decal Image.

Frankly, even the programmers of some features do not know the full extent of what is capable so one thing that will always help is to better understand what you currently know about a given feature; in this case, the Decal Editor. Similarly, those who use the Decal Editor likely do not know all of the innovate ways in which to use the editor. I encourage everyone with an interest or experience to post a little of what they know here so that all may benefit. In order to meet and exceed all expectations it is important to inventory what we know already. For instance, has everyone already gone through the tutorials that cover the Decal Editor?

For those willing to explore... prepare to Right Click and we'll explore the Decal Editor in depth right here. :)

Hi Rodney,

if I got it right, the UV-editor has something new connected to (I assume) the Shift-key than. Maybe it was about selection of patches or something like that... I never came around to test it, but I'll see what it was this evening.

See you

*Fuchur*

• Admin
if I got it right, the UV-editor has something new connected to (I assume) the Shift-key than. Maybe it was about selection of patches or something like that... I never came around to test it, but I'll see what it was this evening.

Yes, there are several new improvements and we need to get those out to the public. I think a few were discussed briefly in Alpha testing but that wasn't open to the general public.

As a base line to begin to establish what is commonly known (or perhaps what should be known) I'll recommend the initial write-up by Hash Inc for v11:

http://www.hash.com/am2004/Decaling/UV%20Editor/index.htm

In particular pay attention to the last paragraph where it says:

These features consist of grouping, translate, scale, rotate, magnet mode, and you can hold the Ctrl key down before you select a point to split patches.

Adding a CP must be new... I've never done that! :)

Here's info from Steffen/A:M Reports (I've edited them for general clarity):

- Decal View/UV Editor

0005947: Feature: enable lassoing and SHIFT-selecting CPs in the UV editor views.

Lassoing is not implemented at this time (Sorry Folks!)

Possible methods for selection in the UV Editor are now:

- Left click on a Control Point (CP)

Selects this CP and creates a new selection

- Holding the SHIFT key down and left click on a CP

Adding this CP to a existing selection. If no selection exists a new selection is created

- Holding the ALT key down and left click on a patch

Adding all 4 corner points from this patch to the selection similar to selecting a Patch in the modeling-window (Shift + P).

If no selection exists a new selection is created

- Holding the CTRL key down and left click near a CP breaks the CP connection (not in the model , only in the UV editor!)

Note that the stamp can be modified by the corner of the patch where the click position was in without affecting the neighboring patches or CPs

Yes, there are several new improvements and we need to get those out to the public. I think a few were discussed briefly in Alpha testing but that wasn't open to the general public.

As a base line to begin to establish what is commonly known (or perhaps what should be known) I'll recommend the initial write-up by Hash Inc for v11:

http://www.hash.com/am2004/Decaling/UV%20Editor/index.htm

In particular pay attention to the last paragraph where it says:

These features consist of grouping, translate, scale, rotate, magnet mode, and you can hold the Ctrl key down before you select a point to split patches.

Adding a CP must be new... I've never done that! :)

It is new... it is one of the small but very helpful features for v17.

And as I said: Something other is new too in the UV-editor refering to Steffen... I am not at home now but I will see in my mails what the second thing was.

(there is more stuff, but that is not new in v17 but has been around since I think v15 or something in that direction...)

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: it is ALT + Click onto a patch in the UV-editor... this selects the patch in the UV. I think this has not been around before too, or am I wrong?

ALT + SHIFT can be used too to select more than one patch and than disconnect it from the surroundings and move it to somewhere else.

CTRL + Click disconnects the selected CP if you move it afterwards.

• Admin

Looks like we were posting at the same time.

I've added some of the description of changes from Steffen above.

Added: As Hash Inc originally referred to this feature as the "Decal View (UV Editor)" I will try my best to refer to it that way too.

The use of a variety of terminology to describe what I've traditionally called "Decal Editor" may be why searching for info on the feature here in the forum is difficult. I'm in the wrong here of course as another term for "Decal Editor" is generally "Photoshop" or more generically any "digital paint program". I'll try to get my head straight on this one. :)

Edit: It should be noted that while many aspects of the Decal View (UV Editor) were implemented back in v11 they are now much improved so anyone who used it before and thought they understood it should explore it again too!

- Decal View/UV Editor

0005947: Feature: enable lassoing and SHIFT-selecting CPs in the UV editor views.

Lassoing is not implemented at this time (Sorry Folks!)

Possible methods for selection in the UV Editor are now:

- Left click on a Control Point (CP)

Selects this CP and creates a new selection

- Holding the SHIFT key down and left click on a CP

Adding this CP to a existing selection. If no selection exists a new selection is created

- Holding the ALT key down and left click on a patch

Adding all 4 corner points from this patch to the selection similar to selecting a Patch in the modeling-window (Shift + P).

If no selection exists a new selection is created

- Holding the CTRL key down and left click near a CP breaks the CP connection (not in the model , only in the UV editor!)

Note that the stamp can be modified by the corner of the patch where the click position was in without affecting the neighboring patches or CPs

This is BRILLANT!!! Wonderful new improvement. I did not realize the impact until I just tried it.

This makes it so much easier to select CPs in the UV editor - as well as to remap the patches/cps to different parts of the decal image without having to restamp the patches. If I am correct, in the olden days of 16b, we would could only drag select the cps, and when you'd move the cps in the uv editor, the adjoining mapped patches would be affected. Now you can detach the patches in the UV editor (only) and move them to another totally different area of the decal image without disturbing adjoining patches.

Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant!

OriginalUVMapping.jpg

newUVMapping.jpg

Is there a way of re-attaching the cps's?

I have not yet found a key sequence that will actually permanently re-attach/re-align the cp's that have been detached/unaligned using the UV editor. However if you move the cps so that they are aligned once again, ie one on top of the other and drag select around both cps in the uv editor, the mapping will behave as if they are attached.

And if you have done much detaching and it is difficult to re-align the patches in your new modified mapping, you can always make a new stamp with just those patches showing using the same decal container. The new stamp will have the patches realigned, and the 1st stamp that had modified the original mapping will still be available.

You can isolate editing the stamps by right clicking on the stamp and choose edit for editing 1 stamp at a time, versus right clicking on the decal container and choosing edit (which will give you access to both stamps at the same time).

Hope that made sense.

editing2stamps.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Admin
I have not yet found a key sequence that will actually permanently re-attach/re-align the cp's that have been detached/unaligned using the UV editor.

Do you folks need a video? Or just a better explanation?

Does the following not work for you in the UV Editor?

Once you've selected both CPs... Ctrl Alt Click on top of them.

Once you've selected both CPs... Ctrl Alt Click on top of them.

For me, Ctrl alt click on detached cps does not reattach them permanently, ie restore them back to original connection. I can select detached/disassociated cps with shift clicks, ctrl clicks, and move them together, but it does not reattach them.

An alt click for me only selects a patch, and if I move the patch, it becomes detached from it's surrounding patches.

EDIT:Just found out that if I realigned the once detached cps EXACTLY in the uv editor so that the spline lines look colinear, then drag select around the cps, move them as one, unselect (by clicking off the group), and then just click again on the now copositioned cp set again - it will act as if they are permanently connected again - ie their adjacent/adjoining spline/patch will move together. FOREVER more, once again, it seems.

Edited by NancyGormezano

I'll need to look more closely at these features, which sound great btw, but I would like to mention Will Sutton's tutorial(s) on decaling. I think he's got two versions; one on a web page with text and screen shots, and a video on his YouTube channel, though they may have been updated by now.

In any case, that's where I first learned the real power of the UV editor and for anyone who's wondering about this functionality, I recommend them as a starting point.

• Admin
For me, Ctrl alt click on detached cps does not reattach them permanently, ie restore them back to original connection. I can select detached/disassociated cps with shift clicks, ctrl clicks, and move them together, but it does not reattach them.

Well, I don't know about restoring to the original connection but Ctrl Alt Click will attach any two CPs in the UV Editor together.

Reconnecting is a rather exacting (five step) process. If you fail at any one stage you'll likely not reconnect the CPs.

Make sure you:

MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING A:M VERSION 17

- Place the two CPs you wish to connect exactly over the top of each other (there is surely a tolerance here but it's not very big) *I suspect this would be the primary reason why Ctrl Alt Click will not work for some people

(Just for good measure at this stage select some other/third CP at this stage to make sure you aren't going to miss selecting both CPs in the next stage.

- Select both CPs by surrounding them them with a mouse defined bounding box

- Hold down the Control Key

- While holding down the Control Key now hold down the Alt key

- Click with the mouse on top of the CPs

Note: At this point you can then place another CP over the top of these two CPs and after a Ctrl Alt Click have three connected CPs.

Added: Maybe we can encourage Will to update his tutorial as the game has officially changed. :)

I took pixelpuckers question to mean that his goal was to get the original mapped adjacent 3D spline/cps back to their original 2D adjacent associated mapping . I edited my reply above, so I'll repeat here:

EDIT: Just found out that if I realigned the once detached cps EXACTLY in the uv editor so that the spline lines look coplanar, then drag select around the cps, move them as one, unselect (by clicking off the group), and then just click again on the now copositioned cp set again - it will act as if they are permanently connected again - ie their adjacent/adjoining spline/patch will move together. FOREVER more, once again, it seems.

There is no need to go thru cltr alt sequence - which for me just does not reattach anything permanently. Anytime I use alt key, it detaches the patch.

• Admin
An alt click for me only selects a patch, and if I move the patch, it becomes detached from it's surrounding patches.

I should have said that this is how Alt Clicking is designed to work according to Steffen. So keep doing that if you want to separate patches. :)

• Admin
I took pixelpuckers question to mean that his goal was to get the original mapped adjacent 3D spline/cps back to their original 2D adjacent associated mapping so that I edited my reply above, so I'll repeat here:

You mean like some kind of undo button to get back to the state before breaking any of the CPs?

I'm investigating what you've added here because the only way I was able to attach CPs was with the Ctrl Alt Click method.

Edit: That method works for me too. I think you've just discovered an undocumented feature! :)

So once again with feeling. Here is Nancy's shortcut method (as it is working for me):

(Disconnect some CPs in the UV Editor first in order to test this)

- Align two CPs over the top of each other

- Select both CPs and move them (anywhere) but do not release them

- Click on the CPs

At this point the CPs connect for me.

(I'm not sure about all of that coplaner stuff. Thus far I've just needed to make sure they are on top of each other before selecting or else it won't connect the CPs.)

• Admin

I would like to find out why Ctrl Alt Click is not working for some people. :(

But the good news is that now some of us have two ways to connect CPs in the UV Editor:

Align/Select/Move/Click and Align/Select/Ctrl+Alt+Click

Isn't it fun exploring new features. :)

It should be emphasized that with Nancy's method we can not only reattach CPs but entire patches provided they haven't been altered too badly (this is what I take Nancy means by coplanar etc).

...Maybe we can encourage Will to update his tutorial as the game has officially changed...

I'm interested in trying out the new features--looks like you could save some steps and not have to have as many stamps? My technique uses a bunch of named groups to organize the way you want to split up the map. I don't know if that goes away, because it is easy to look at the groups and see if you've missed anything...

I should have said that this is how Alt Clicking is designed to work according to Steffen. So keep doing that if you want to separate patches. :)

That is the ONLY way I was using it.

This is why I cannot see how your method could work by using alt click to reattach anything. It was designed to detach/isolate the patch so that you could move it, without disturbing adjacent mapping of patches.

You are the one who was saying use alt click to attach. That made no sense. But...if it works for you...

You mean like some kind of undo button to get back to the state before breaking any of the CPs?

No. That is not what anyone was asking for. Only you.

I will modify your summary with more detail:

Disconnect some CPs in the UV Editor first in order to test this, either by alt clicking (to detach a patch), or ctrl clicking on a CP to detach just 1 CP.

To reattach 2 CPs again:

- Align the two detached CPs over the top of each other, exactly.

- Drag Select around the now copositioned, but still detached CPs and move them (slightly, then back to where desired). Unselect them by clicking somewhere else.

- Click now on what should be the rejoined CPs. Note that they and their shared spline move together once again to confirm they are permanently reattached.

I do not believe one can reattach 2 CPs that were never attached to begin with. I haven't tried. But I will.

• Admin

I note that with both methods we can connect multiple CPs anywhere in the decal at the same time as long as they are aligned over the top of each other.

Perhaps Steffen could increase the tolerance so that CPs connect when they are 'close enough' as sometimes the CPs appear to be over the top of each other but the only way to find out if they are attached is to attempt to move them.

...Maybe we can encourage Will to update his tutorial as the game has officially changed...

I'm interested in trying out the new features--looks like you could save some steps and not have to have as many stamps? My technique uses a bunch of named groups to organize the way you want to split up the map. I don't know if that goes away, because it is easy to look at the groups and see if you've missed anything...

Your method doesn't go away. You can still have multiple named stamps, and edit them individually.

However, it looks like you can now ALSO just stamp once, then isolate and move the patches in the UV editor. It ends up looking like many stamps in actually just one stamp.

Each way has it's advantages/disadvantages. But yes, major new, easier manipulation/control of the CP's in the UV editor.

EDIT: I do not believe one can reattach 2 CPs that were never attached to begin with. I haven't tried. But I will.

OMG! I just tried and yes you can!!...We can now totally confuse and thouroughly mess ourselves up beyond our wildest dreams!!...yes...hyperventilating now.

• Admin
This is why I cannot see how your method could work by using alt click to reattach anything.

Nancy,

You've been misreading me or else I typo'd something.

It's not Alt Click that attaches CPs. Alt Click is a documented method for removing/detaching entire patches.

That is the reason I said keep doing that if you want to remove patches.

It is working exactly as it should.

The keys I've been using for attaching CPs is Ctrl+Alt+Click.

I'd upload a video but you'd have to trust that I was actually Control Alt Clicking. ;)

Will I haven't forgotten you... we are all simultaneously posting. ;)

I do not believe one can reattach 2 CPs that were never attached to begin with. I haven't tried. But I will.

Gonna make you a believer if I hafta come to your house!

This is exactly what I thought I already had everyone believing a day or so ago.

It's like I suddenly walked through a strange 'CtrlAltClick doesn't work in anyone but Rodney's dimension' portal.

Am I really the only one that sees Ctrl+Alt+Click working?

• Admin

What Nancy said here.

I don't recall anything in your tutorial that won't still work here.

It's interesting to note that I thought I saw a place to name the UV Groups but if it's there I don't think it's fully implemented yet.

It looked like I named the group in the properties panel but it didn't take and I couldn't find a trace of it after it closed.

Edit: Tried it again and as soon as I named it I dropped to the desktop. So, I don't think that works.

• Hash Fellow

This sounds like crazy, crazy stuff

Edit: Tried it again and as soon as I named it I dropped to the desktop. So, I don't think that works.

If you can make a crash remember to do an AMreport on it with a sample PRJ

• Admin
If you can make a crash remember to do an AMreport on it with a sample PRJ

Yes, but at least now I can type in a name for the group before I crash.

As soon as he fixes that bug then I won't. ;)

In other words, I don't think we are suppose to name UV Groups... yet.

As of this moment there is nowhere in the PWS for UV named groups to show up.

I'd appreciate it if someone could confirm this.

I believe that anyone who attempts to open the Property panel, select a group of CPs in the UV Editor and name the resulting Group will soon wish they had saved their project.

The keys I've been using for attaching CPs is Ctrl+Alt+Click.

I'd upload a video but you'd have to trust that I was actually Control Alt Clicking. ;)

I want to see this video. Ctrl+alt+click for me detaches patches. Anything, any combo that has an alt in it detaches patches for me. It could be that I am moving my mouse after ctrl alt click to test if they are attached again. That may be the difference. I will try again.

And yes I tried connecting never before connected cps and it worked by just moving the cps on top of each other and drag selecting (no ctrl alt click needed)

And yes I saw in the properties panel where one could name a group of cps in the uv editor, and yes I crashed, and no I did not see where this name would show up if I hadn't crashed.

• Admin

Thanks Nancy! :)

Anything, any combo that has an alt in it detaches patches for me. It could be that I am moving my mouse after ctrl alt click to test if they are attached again. That may be the difference. I will try again.

I'd love to get that locked down because, unless you've redefined those keys, they should be attachin'.

Thanks Nancy! :)

Anything, any combo that has an alt in it detaches patches for me. It could be that I am moving my mouse after ctrl alt click to test if they are attached again. That may be the difference. I will try again.

I'd love to get that locked down because, unless you've redefined those keys, they should be attachin'.

looking forward to the video.

• Admin

Coming at you as soon as I can upload it.

See attached!

Like I said you'll have to trust that I am using the proper keys.

Maybe I could record my fingers strokes with a webcamera and have someone certify that both video streams were in fact conducted simultaneously.

I believe that at the time I indicate I am using the Ctrl Alt Click method you can observe that I am not using your Select Move Click method to do the attaching.

Note that I have not watched this myself except to add the captions so I'm not sure how well it gonna play out. ;)

Edit: Could have been better but not bad. I probably should have noted that the decal is that gray square otherwise some folks might not know what we are looking at.

DecalViewEnhancements.mov

Here is what I found out, when trying to reattach 2 cps using ctrl +alt + click.

It is possible to connect them with drag select only, or even drag select plus alt+click only (no ctrl needed)

To test: to reconnect with drag select + alt click ONLY

1) drag select the exactly co-positioned detached cps,

2) while the 2 cps are still lit up, ie. still selected, alt +click on the cps - the other cps to one of the patches should also light up. DO NOT MOVE MOUSE. Otherwise it will detach the newly lit up selected cps. LET GO of alt key

3) unselect the cps by clicking somewhere else

4) reselect by clicking the now joined cps (no need to drag select) and drag to see that they are connected

or to reconnect with drag select ONLY

1) drag select the exactly co-positioned detached cps,

2) while the 2 cps are still lit up, ie. still selected, MOVE MOUSE.

3) unselect the cps by clicking somewhere else

4) reselect by clicking the now joined cps (no need to drag select) and drag to see that they are connected

I have no idea which way is/was the documented way. But it looks to me that it's the drag select that is really connecting them.

I was typing as you posted your video. Thanks for the video - it was a little hard to see (small) so I would have to download and step thru as it was a little hard to really know what your key sequences were as the text went by fast. But I think we've covered that there are ways to reattach cps, way way more than enough by now.

• Admin

Some of the variation might be due to A:M knowing where the UV CPs originated from.

In my movie for instance a simple click reattached two out of three CPs on the same UV patch.

If it was just a little bit more accurately placed I'm sure the third would also have attached.

As it wasn't I had to separately attached that.

I guess the important thing is that whether attached or unattached the decal is still going to show up on those patches.

Attaching simply facilitates moving those patches around.

Added: Some of the difference in what we are seeing may be due to the fact that you are using a mouse while I am tapping with my finger on that little rectangular square on my laptop.

I was typing as you posted your video. Thanks for the video - it was a little hard to see (small) so I would have to download and step thru as it was a little hard to really know what your key sequences were as the text went by fast. But I think we've covered that there are ways to reattach cps, way way more than enough by now.

I'm certainly satisfied. :yay:

Although DARN IT!!! just now I realized I should have included ROTATION and SCALING of some patches.

Maybe next video.

These additions will make this kind of work much easier so thank you for that.

But...

Is there anyway to undo a change in the UV Editor (ie: ctrl +z)?

I don't mean reconnecting a CP but if I drag a CP in the UV editor can I undo that last action?

Thanks.

(Edit: Reworded first sentence so that it makes more sense)

• Hash Fellow
Is there anyway to undo a change in the UV Editor (ie: ctrl +z)?

I don't mean reconnecting a CP but if I drag a CP in the UV editor can I undo that last action?

I haven't tried, but sometimes A:M stores events we don't notice in the undo queue so you have to do undo several times to get something to happen. Have you tried multiple ctrl-Z?

Thanks.

As a workaround, could you possibly just drag the CP back?

In the absence of Undo it probably makes sense to save versions often.

Thanks again for your responses to my question about this.

Those methods of working around that issue will help but I'll file a report at A:M Reports about it tomorrow.

I did not notice the forum here for A:M Reports until just a moment ago. I suppose that I could have posted my undo question there.

As a workaround you can go to your model- / action-window again, click on the decal in the PWS with RMB and choose "Recall View Position".

Like that you can just restamp the model (if you worked with good groups / actions) and restamp the thing.

It is not an undo-function, but it will help a lot to start over.

And yes you should make a bug-report at A:M Reports. I doubt that it is really a bug but it is just not a feature but eighter way it should be reported to become one.

See you

*Fuchur*