sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

two 6-core AMDs?

robcat2075

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only AMD-CPUs that can be used in dual CPU-environments are the server-systems, so the Opterons... These are not bad, but for our needs you would be better of with a 3,6 - 4GHz 8-core-system... (since 8cores are sold with water-cooling, 4 GHz should not be a problem at all... maybe 4,5 GHz would be possible... this is just a guess so...)

In short: Till now there are no 12-core-systems released for the consumer-market.

AMD offers 8-cores (Bulldozer, single-cpu with 8 cores) and will release even more cores in a single-cpu with the Bulldozer-technique in future. (I think they talked about 10 cores as the next step).

I am not aware of any mainboard that can handle two 8-cores / 6-cores of the Bulldozer-series so... I am although not aware of an consumer-Intel-CPU that can do that... you need Xeons for that there too, if I am not wrong...

I remember, that someone stated something like "Cool, 6-core-CPU for that low... if only they sold a dual-setup for Macs with AMDs..." which would mean 12-cores, but there is no such thing available, as far as I know.

See you

*Fuchur*

• *A:M User*

Here is a 12 core Mac Pro:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/config...mp;product=Z0M4

With hyperthreading that would be another 12 logical cores. So to the OS you would appear to have 24 cores. Price is a bit rich for my blood, though.

I do believe that Fuchur is right as far as AMD consumer CPUs go, it is not possible to have a dual cpu system using Phenom processors (or whatever their current quad or hex core setup is called). You would have to go Opteron.

I think if you wanted to do your own build, you could probably put together something similar to the Mac box for $2500.

Here is the cheapest price I coul find on 6 core xeons:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=...d=0CLoBEPMCMAU#

A motherboard for these would be about $500, throw in another $500 for RAM (may not need that much, but you would probably want to have 32 or 48gb of ECC RAM with that many cores). 8GB of Kingston ECC DDR3-1333 goes for about $77. Tyan makes good server boards (or at least they used to).

If you were really on a budget, you could probably get by with $500 for a case, power supply, HD, optical drive and graphics card. You might want to budget $800 for these if you wanted a fancy graphics card, and given the recent HD price hikes due to shortages you would probably need to budget double the amount for an HD that you would normally spend. Toss in another $200 for an OEM copy of Win 7 Premium and misc software and you come out right at $2500. I think that is the cheapest you could expect to put together a 12 core system for, unless you were just buying RAM, CPUs, and motherboard and reusing old components for everything else.

I recall someone spec'ing out a system that would have two 6-core AMD processors in it. But I can't find it now. Or did i just dream that?

Anyone?

I think what you may be thinking of was someone talking about putting multiple motherboards in a server case, sort of a cluster in a box type thing. That's the only way you are getting consumer-level AMD CPUs in a 12 core system, and that is not really a 12 core system but more of a render farm in a box.

• Hash Fellow

Yeah, I was reading somewhere that it was impossible to have dual AMDs , aside from opterons, but I had that recollection of someone here proposing it. Maybe it was opterons he meant.

The essential difference of a Xeon is that it has more cache? Looks expensive, whatever it is.

Yeah, I was reading somewhere that it was impossible to have dual AMDs , aside from opterons, but I had that recollection of someone here proposing it. Maybe it was opterons he meant.

The essential difference of a Xeon is that it has more cache? Looks expensive, whatever it is.

Opterons and Xeons are both server-hardware. That means they are built to last for a longer time without a pause inbetween while consumer-hardware is made to be fast for a shorter time, have a pause and run after that again. Xeons are more expensive but a bit faster single-core-compared to Opertons, so you get 12 cores and than it is depending on what you want to use them... as it is with consumer-hardware...

For A:M, I am quite sure that consumer-hardware is better suited so...

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: The newer AMDs are no longer called Phenom but Bulldozer...

Here you go Robcat, how 'bout one of these bad boys:

http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.aspx?...p;SKU=600000180

:D

32 or 48 cores, all on one board, plus up to 512GB of RAM (although its RDDR3, not sure what that is but if it is Rambus it is probably expensive)

Would AM even be able to use something like that?

• Hash Fellow
Here you go Robcat, how 'bout one of these bad boys:

http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.aspx?...p;SKU=600000180

:D

32 or 48 cores, all on one board, plus up to 512GB of RAM (although its RDDR3, not sure what that is but if it is Rambus it is probably expensive)

Would AM even be able to use something like that?

Now that's a renderfarm! Yeah, I bet Netrender could use all that. If you got your license expanded.