Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Problems deleting pose / other pose strangeness

Roger

• *A:M User*

Hi all,

Back to working on the project after too long away from it. I am doing the last bits of cleaning up the rigging on my penguin character, and I have a pose that I have no clue

what it does (or was supposed to do). I want to delete it, but can't seem to. If I hit the delete key on the keyboard with it highlighted, nothing happens. If I right click it, there is no option to delete. This happens in both the Properties area and in the Pose Sliders pane. Also, something I thought was strange, it does not show up in the Project Workspace. My other poses do (pose 2 and Leg Constraints) but not pose 1. I really want to get rid of pose 1, because if I turn it on it does strange things to the character, and doesn't seem to have any function.

Actually, scratch that, all the poses seem to be doing odd things when I toggle them on and off in the pose slider area, and I can't figure out what is going on. It is almost like there were keys set and it is playing back an animation. I will post a screengrab but I need to download camtasia again. (I would just buy it but damn $300 is steep)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
I thought .avi files were allowed??

Only if you compress them in a .zip file.

.MOV format is acceptable and preferred for uploading movies to the forum.

There are several reasons for this but I confess I don't know them now.

One might be that AVI isn't a online streaming format... so it to be served up by the server in a different way... retrieved from the server but not for viewing... only for downloading.

A small quibble:

Hypercam2 is free...

It's free to download.

Here is the .avi of what is going on:

Well, I get nothing when I play that. It seems to be an empty AVI file.

I'm afraid I have no insight as to the problem with the penguin here. But Rob, try opening it in QT or VLC. It plays for me in Quick Time and VLC but not in Real Player, with that its just a black screen.

OK, I can see the movie in QT.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do in the screen, it looks like you have a constraint selected but are moving things around?

That's just it, though - I'm not moving anything around. I turned the constraint on so I could start doing some tests and see how things are moving, and as soon as I turn the constraint on everything jumps out of place. The window that is active while that is going on is the action window. At first I thought it was the orphaned "pose1" pose that I can't seem to delete and also does not show up in the Relationships category in the PWS, but it happens with the Leg Constraints pose too.

It is almost like when you are turning that pose on and off it is stepping through keyframes, but as far as I know I haven't set any keyframes. But even then, why would it do that when toggling a pose on/off?

I'm going to check the timeline and make sure that I haven't set some keyframes somehow by accident.

Really not sure what else to do at this point - its the odd stuff like this that trips me up.

I'll gladly send it to you. I just had to fix a minor problem with my other system, give me a sec to get it logged back in and I will send it off.

I appreciate you taking a look at it, I wish I could figure out what the problem was.

• Hash Fellow

This may not need a video! i was baffled until I noticed that foots are children of the calfs

If the foot bone is the target for an IK constraint, it can't also be a child of the bones constrained to follow it. I'm surprised A:M let you do that, that should be a circular constraint error.

The foot bones need to be higher I the hierarchy at either the Root or Pelvis level. I know I had it working in the video so check that video for how I had it.

Delete that whole leg constraints relationship, fix the heirarchy, then redo the Leg Constraints relationship.

Then see what you get.

Ok, will do. I must have forgotten to fix that when watching your tutorial. I am not sure, its been a while since I worked on it. I really need to get back to working on this on a regular basis. The knee targets I am guessing should also not be children of the feet? I moved the feet up to the level of the pelvis.

I am working on fixing the stuff witht the penguin rig, I am still wondering how to get rid of that pose1 though. There doesn't seem to be any way to delete it. I guess I will worry about that after I get the other stuff cleaned up.

Well a forum search revealed (duh, should have done this first) that You need to delete them from the Properties panel > user properties > right click the pose and choose delete.

Except when I right click it, there is no option to delete it. Hitting the delete key on the keyboard also does nothing.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If i click in the model window, then select Pose 1 in the Properties window, then press "Delete", it goes away.

Ok, that worked. Maybe I still had the action window open when I was trying to do that? Would not have thought that would keep me from doing that, but I guess that is the way it is.