Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

What happened to ...

bubba

all the old "hashers" - Ken Bear, Steve Sappington, Martin Hash, WillP? And what about Jeff Cantin (Tincan) and other old-time posters. I have been away from A:M for a very long time, and not reading this forum, so if something "bad" happened and we are not supposed to talk about it, I am sorry to bring it up.

I am concerned because I recently learned that Steffen Gross (Yoda64) is the only programmer attending A:M - and he is not compensated for it! So, where does our yearly subscription money go? This not to start a flame war, or get me kicked off the board, because now that I am retired I have the time to dedicate to learning just how wonderful A:M really is. And I appreciate all the help I have received answering me "newbee" questions.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all the old "hashers" - Ken Bear, Steve Sappington, Martin Hash, WillP? And what about Jeff Cantin (Tincan) and other old-time posters. I have been away from A:M for a very long time, and not reading this forum, so if something "bad" happened and we are not supposed to talk about it, I am sorry to bring it up.

I am concerned because I recently learned that Steffen Gross (Yoda64) is the only programmer attending A:M - and he is not compensated for it! So, where does our yearly subscription money go? This not to start a flame war, or get me kicked off the board, because now that I am retired I have the time to dedicate to learning just how wonderful A:M really is. And I appreciate all the help I have received answering me "newbee" questions.

I'll not go into detail on some stuff here but for the short:

martin is on a very long journey in afrika. He has fun there. Before that martin decided to go another way with hash from being more dedicated to developing the software to a company that was more dedicated to making movies ( the result was TWO and SO).

Most programmers didnt want to go that route and left Hash. Today hash is mainly run by jason, programmed mainly by steffen and i think one or two other persons which are going to tradefairs etc.

This is now more than one I would say next to two years ago and it works great.. Steffen and many others here are very dedicated to A:M...

We are the new hash! Get to splining and dont think to much about that. It works out better than even i thougjt it would.

I would say this thread should be closed and deleted in a day if you are okay with it?

See you

*Fuchur*

Yes, we can close this in a day if no one else chimes in.

You didn't answer one question though: If Steffen is not compensated for maintaining A:M who is receiving compensation?

PS Your German is showing: Afrika or Africa :)

PSS Any chance the old guys might return to the new Hash?

PPSS I's splinin' as fast as I can

Yes, we can close this in a day if no one else chimes in.

You didn't answer one question though: If Steffen is not compensated for maintaining A:M who is receiving compensation?

PS Your German is showing: Afrika or Africa :)

PSS Any chance the old guys might return to the new Hash?

PPSS I's splinin' as fast as I can

The company is still owned by martin. I dont know exactly how the money is spent but it is at least to a big part used to maintain the infrastructure pay jason and the others and promote a:m on the tradefares...

I dont think that the old guys will come back... They have other jobs now and it is a long time ago.

See u

*Fuchur*

Ps: sorry... I am on my cellphone typing that and even so i try to get rid of the spelling errors and typos it is hard to see them and correct them all for me... (additional it is just too much trouble for me)

One last comment -

I think it is criminal that Steffen is NOT compensated for his effort. There is something very wrong with that picture.

PS Does the new Hash go to SIGGRAPH, MacWorld (Or Expo), PCWorld (or whatever)

PPS On your cell phone ... ?

PPSS What about eventually getting a GNU license for A:M?

One last comment -

I think it is criminal that Steffen is NOT compensated for his effort. There is something very wrong with that picture.

PS Does the new Hash go to SIGGRAPH, MacWorld (Or Expo), PCWorld (or whatever)

PPS On your cell phone ... ?

PPSS What about eventually getting a GNU license for A:M?

Steffen is doing it because he likes it. I dont have anything against a refund of course. But till now he never asked for one as far as i know. I asked him for amazon wishlists and stuff but as a very generous person he never answered me these questions... A great guy in any way!

Hash no longer goes to siggraph but to other trade fares etc. See the calendar on the website. You will find comicon and many others there.

GNU/GPL means open source and no money. That would break the base of hash down... Hash needs money to be maintained and i dont think that this conservation is helping neighter so i am a friend of truth...

Keep in mind it is still martins company... We cant decide anything in that direction... I am although just a user...

I own a galaxy s and am currently not near to my computer... I use my galaxy to write to u now...

*Fuchur*

• Hash Fellow

Martin did come back from Africa uneaten and is dabbling in politics now.

I presume the money from sales funds the servers that host this forum and the trips by Jason and Heath(?) to shows and fairs that keep A:M in the public eye. I'm sure it's not a large amount as sales for all software are much smaller today than they were in the boom years. You may recall that Maya and Softimage both went broke a few years ago (then bought by Autodesk) and how Adobe is now leasing its software one month at a time.

I presume the money from sales funds the servers that host this forum and the trips by Jason and Heath(?) to shows and fairs that keep A:M in the public eye. I'm sure it's not a large amount as sales for all software are much smaller today than they were in the boom years. You may recall that Maya and Softimage both went broke a few years ago (then bought by Autodesk) and how Adobe is now leasing its software one month at a time.

I didn't know anything about Maya and Softimage going bankrupt. I guess I have had my head in the clouds (or some other dark place ;) ) What shows and fairs? Fuchur says that A:M no longer goes to SIGGRAH or MacWorld (Expo) or other such computer conventions. Just Comicon?

Did Martin think that Hash could compete with Pixar, or DreamWorks, or Blue Sky?

• Hash Fellow
Did Martin think that Hash could compete with Pixar, or DreamWorks, or Blue Sky?

Not on the theatrical feature level, certainly, but on the direct-to-video niche it was a plausible notion back then. Since then, the direct to video market has tanked too for any but the most vigorously promoted products like Disney's Tinkerbell series.

• Admin

Something not mentioned yet... Jeff (Tin Can) Cantin.

I may get a few of the details wrong but here is the general story from what I know of his adventuring:

Jeff Cantin disappeared from online about about 8 years ago.

He had moved to Reno Nevada with a brother and was without reliable internet service.

He dabbled in carpentry and creating jewelry and used his copy of A:M to create prototypes of how the jewelry would look before physically creating them. Knowing how Jeff's creative mind works I'd imagine that was some fascinating jewelry.

About 4 years ago Jeff returned to the forum and posted once or twice expressing his interest in becoming active in the community again. He refreshed his webpage a little and even posted the start of a new tutorial which to this date hasn't been updated again. At that point I deployed to Iraq and lost track of Jeff again.

It may seem trivial to say this but Jeff was never active in the forum like he was on the old animaster listserver. He'd left the online world before the forum fully replaced the old list. I would imagine... and this is me imagining... that when Jeff returned it was a very different world for him. Many of the faces he'd seen frequenting the old email listserver had gone on to work at Pixar, Dreamworks and elsewhere in the CG animation industry.

I didn't know anything about Maya and Softimage going bankrupt. I guess I have had my head in the clouds (or some other dark place ;) ) What shows and fairs? Fuchur says that A:M no longer goes to SIGGRAH or MacWorld (Expo) or other such computer conventions. Just Comicon?

No, not just Comicon... have a look at the calendar on hash.com ("Roadtrip") and you will see. (just click at the back-button in the window a couple of times).

Siggraph is no longer that good for Hash. They stopped going there when Martin was still fully involved. Siggraph is just going down for the 3d program world in general. Even autodesk and others are not attending everytime and if their stand is much smaller than before.

You did however hear that Autodesk bought the so called "big three" right? Maya, XSI and 3ds (and more). They had the money to stay were they were because of the CAD-sellings they had and other 3d companies didnt have.

See you

*Fuchur*

Something not mentioned yet... Jeff (Tin Can) Cantin.

It may seem trivial to say this but Jeff was never active in the forum like he was on the old animaster listserver. He'd left the online world before the forum fully replaced the old list. I would imagine... and this is me imagining... that when Jeff returned it was a very different world for him. Many of the faces he'd seen frequenting the old email listserver had gone on to work at Pixar, Dreamworks and elsewhere in the CG animation industry.

I remember the old listserver.

That is quite a complement to Hash and Animation:Master that past programmers, and users, have moved on to the big boys of CG animation.

You did however hear that Autodesk bought the so called "big three" right? Maya, XSI and 3ds (and more). They had the money to stay were they were because of the CAD-sellings they had and other 3d companies didnt have.

See you

*Fuchur*

No, as I said my head must have been in the clouds (or some other dark place.)

• Hash Fellow

Bubba, you thought you were buying a program that made images.

But with A:M you get a program that makes images... and the 25 years of drama it took to make that program that makes images. :lol:

It wouldn't be the same without it.

>I think it is criminal that Steffen is NOT compensated for his effort. There is something very wrong with that picture.

be it the expierience gathered from doing it or may be he has some kind of other deal with Martin relating to some future compensation

we don`t know of yet.

The thing that worries me a bit though, is that AM is depending so much just on one person.

What if he cant work anymore for some reason?

That`s why I was in favour of the CD bound solution and why I am waiting for the new solution Jason and Yoda will come up with before I update to 16...

Also I would appreciate some kind words from Martin to us true hashers, just stating that he has not totally abandoned his child but is taking care of it from the distance.

His silence is kind of strange, almost as he might be kind of offended somehow.

But maybe he just doesn`t wants to be reminded too much of the happenings before his Africa trip.

• Admin
Also I would appreciate some kind words from Martin to us true hashers, just stating that he has not totally abandoned his child but taking care of it from the distance. His silence is kind of strange, almost as he might be kind of offended somehow.

But maybe he just don`t wants to be reminded too much of the happenings before his Africa trip.

We don't control Martin's schedule so you'll have to take that up with him.

The best way to communicate with Martin directly is to drop him an email.

Anyone that's been around the forum knows his address hasn't changed in years.

The thing that worries me a bit though, is that AM is depending so much just on one person.

What if he cant work anymore for some reason?

Ah, if only that sentiment was around back when there were five programmers coding A:M! Who knows where we might be.

That is too bad about not going to Macworld Expo any more. That is where I bought my first copy of Animation:Master. I had the pleasure of meeting Ken Bear. I still have (somewhere) an old *HASH* olive drab tee shirt that came free with the program.

Live demonstrations are great but nothing beats a good Users Manual. That is why I still have Jeff Paries and David Rogers books. I even have a 2000 Hash produced manual. Might I humbly suggest that some funds be diverted to a good tech writer. From personal experience I quickly found that it wasn't as easy as Steve Sappington's two minute demonstration once I got home.

• Hash Fellow

Things could be worse. I'm sure Truespace users thought they were safe when Microsoft bought it, but then it turned around and pulled the plug last year.

Starting out as Caligari in the 80's on the AMIGA, that had been around for a long time.

Things could be worse. I'm sure Truespace users thought they were safe when Microsoft bought it, but then it turned around and pulled the plug last year.

That is so typical of Microsoft - NO flames please - Apple is known to start something and abandon it for no reason other than possibly Steve changes his mind or gets peeved at it.